Guyana - a curiosity

Old Sep 14th 2023, 9:35 am
Forum Regular

Ilovegregggs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Guyana - a curiosity

Perhaps a long shot as this forum seems a little bereft of activity..but here we go.

Long story short, I'd like to move closer to my ageing father but also have reliable work. He lives in the Carribbean, but having explored work opportunities there I decided it wasn't worth it. Currently in the oil rich middle east working in the built environment. I've been eyeing up Guyana as a potential candidate, but know nothing of the jobs market there. But with the growing oil wealth, I'm thinking they may wish to build lots of things. As the only English speaking country in South America, I'd avoid problems with my pigeon Spanish and few words of Portuguese.

Anyone have any insight into expat hires in Guyana? In particular within the architectural/urban planning sector.

Many thanks,
Old Sep 20th 2023, 2:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Guyana - a curiosity

Google "Cayman resident", for an online guide. I'm surprised Cayman isn't on your list of places - although perhaps it's too far from where your Dad is. (You didn't say, but my guess is Trinidad.) Guyana seems to be de-populating, which wouldn't be very encouraging! In your profession, you surely need a place whose population is increasing. Also, just FYI - Guyana is in the Caribbean for all intents and purposes, rather than South America.

Last edited by Gordon Barlow; Sep 20th 2023 at 2:50 am.
Old Sep 20th 2023, 9:27 am
Forum Regular

Ilovegregggs is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for your response. Interesting the country is depopulating, as I get the impression the economy is booming due to the O&G expansion and income. It was my main reason for considering this location as perhaps there would be a sudden need for foreign expertise. I also cover areas of regeneration, so this would negate a depopulating state to some extent.

​​​​ I worked for a UK architect back in the day who did a number of huge houses in the Caymans and Bahamas over the years, but I work on an urban scale which is why I have not given these alot of thought for now.

I find the issue with DR geographic proximity within the Carribbean isn't much of an issue as there aren't many direct flights to the surrounding islands, so a detour via Panama or Miami is required in almost all instances.

It's all purely research at this stage with no immediate plan to relocate, so any on the ground info is very useful.

Many thanks.
Old Sep 20th 2023, 12:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry if I misled you about the depopulation of Guyana. I did a very quick Google search and obviously got the wrong message! Sorry, too, to come across as patronising. I thought you were a newbie to the region! All the best to you.
Old Sep 24th 2023, 12:41 pm
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Guyana is definitely the new eldorado in that region, GDP growth since 2020 is about 80%, there are massive resources, some of which are still very much in their infancy. Oil is this years or decades thing, but dont rule out even huger scale sugar and rice farming than at present , or major discoveries in the vast jungle, which also contains large hardwood reserves. Gold mining is only going to grow, and there appears to be a mountain [that someone failed to buy] with tanzanite deposits. In a decade or 3 i suspect it'll be like brazil today. Interestingly, while Guyana is a member of caricom, it appears that several other south american countries are looking to join.
Old Sep 24th 2023, 12:44 pm

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

The route to guyana is either via panama or trinidad from the caribbean, but i believe there are also a few direct transatlantic services to the region?
Old Apr 7th 2024, 2:06 pm
Just Joined

Mickety Mackety is an unknown quantity at this point

Much work there for a native English speaker?
Old Apr 7th 2024, 2:07 pm

Lots if you are a citizen of guyana, or a certified oil or gold mining engineer via one of the exploration companies otherwise none.

Last edited by uk_grenada; Apr 7th 2024 at 2:13 pm.
Old Apr 9th 2024, 12:24 am
Just Joined

Mickety Mackety is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by uk_grenada
Lots if you are a citizen of guyana, or a certified oil or gold mining engineer via one of the exploration companies otherwise none.
How surprising. One would think English language was essential for them.
Old Apr 9th 2024, 12:43 am

It iw their primary language but what has that got to do with anything?