The Gringo colonies in Mexico

Old May 19th 2018, 10:14 pm
Just Joined

mmdan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The Gringo colonies in Mexico

Refreshing to read your post Lion in Winter. Only a true interest and eventually love of the culture can allow one to desserve inhabiting it, and eventually to be loved back by the locals. I have lived my whole life from the age of 23 outside of the country I was born in, from a foreign mother. I am always sad to hear about distrust and generalizations like
They're as stupid as the Americans themselves
or about acts of theft and tourist exploitation by locals. It's exactly the same at home in your native country. If you cannot love and accept your fellow human beings as they are, if you cannot bear to have to understand their background and how their expectations formed, don't expect them to like you either.
Old May 25th 2018, 10:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Headline: "In Mexico, the murders keep coming, and so do the tourists"
https://www.dallasnews.com/news/mexi...-mostly-passes

The article is about tourists, not retirees, but still... It's super news from Mexico, and an encouragement to us all!
Old May 26th 2018, 12:10 am
BE Enthusiast

dfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
Headline: "In Mexico, the murders keep coming, and so do the tourists"
https://www.dallasnews.com/news/mexi...-mostly-passes

The article is about tourists, not retirees, but still... It's super news from Mexico, and an encouragement to us all!
Gordon, I’d like to mention a couple of points to take into consideration:
1) i lived in Houston for 10 years, and quickly learned that “news” as reported in local dailies, is not to be relied upon at all !
2) Cabo San Lucas is not the same as the rest of Mexico. You have no doubt seen recent news reports on bbc . cnn , reporting on the drop in tourists in Cancun, the hotels with armed guards and Acapulco hotels and beaches only being occupied by Mexicans.
I really cant understand why anyone would voluntarily live there.
Old May 26th 2018, 12:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dfjordan
I really cant understand why anyone would voluntarily live there.
Ah well, it's probably not for everybody, but it would suit me. My wife and I have our eyes on the Lake Chapala area, for when our savings run short. We know some people who live there, and it suits them. My son worked in Mexico City for the best part of a year, and never even came close to having his head chopped off by gangsters! Nor did we when we visited him and his girlfriend.
About Us - The Lake Chapala Society

We all have our prejudices, adopted for different reasons, and some of them are quite unreasonable. For instance, I always think of the Deep South of the USA as "Easy Rider" territory, although I have spent some contented days in the general region. (Nobody shot at me from a pick-up truck - although, to be fair, I wasn't riding a cool motor-bike at the time!) And as for Dallas... yikes! You'd never get me to ride in an open car there, and I don't mean just Dealey Plaza, either!
Old May 26th 2018, 7:17 am
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Theres always here Gordon...

My neighbours and i had a bet... We put an open bottle of rum on a table by the road at the front of my neighbours house, if it was still there in a week i win. A week later there had definitely been about 1/4 bottle evaporation :-) but it was still there.

How civilised is that!
Old May 26th 2018, 7:21 am

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

I had a few holidays in Cancun, talk about the wild west, from the gun toting guards everywhere - to buying a postcard, i was offered cocaine or heroin with the stamp, i think he would have sold ne his wife too if i asked.

Lovely hotels beaches and jungle, even the strip - white beach with loads of peopke / hotel / rough beach empty - apart from the crocodiles...
Old May 27th 2018, 5:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by uk_grenada
My neighbours and i had a bet... We put an open bottle of rum on a table by the road at the front of my neighbours house, if it was still there in a week i win. A week later there had definitely been about 1/4 bottle evaporation :-) but it was still there.
How civilised is that!

Ah, now that post belongs on the "Crime in the Caribbean" thread! (Pretty crap rum, was it?)
Old May 27th 2018, 5:48 am
BE Forum Addict

I had a few holidays in Cancun, talk about the wild west, from the gun toting guards everywhere - to buying a postcard, i was offered cocaine or heroin with the stamp, i think he would have sold ne his wife too if i asked. Lovely hotels beaches and jungle, even the strip - white beach with loads of people / hotel / rough beach empty - apart from the crocodiles...
Well, Cancun is not on my list of places to retire to, or even visit! However, an old tennis chum of mine loves his new life in Playa del Carmen, which isn't all that far away. Mexico is a huge, huge, country - especially compared with our tiny islands - and I've seen several places my wife and I could happily retire to. When our son lived there, I stayed with him and his fairly posh girlfriend in a poor and rundown part of the City, and we were safe. A few years ago now, but still...
Old May 27th 2018, 6:17 am

Ah, now that post belongs on the "Crime in the Caribbean" thread! (Pretty crap rum, was it?)
Well, it wasnt 25 year old guyanan Demarara [my favourite] but it was real - a 140 proof local organic white rum much favoured by Grenadians [river antoine.]

Maybe its that we forgot to place a bottle of chasing water there too 😆

Old May 27th 2018, 12:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute

Well, Cancun is not on my list of places to retire to, or even visit! However, an old tennis chum of mine loves his new life in Playa del Carmen, which isn't all that far away. Mexico is a huge, huge, country - especially compared with our tiny islands - and I've seen several places my wife and I could happily retire to. When our son lived there, I stayed with him and his fairly posh girlfriend in a poor and rundown part of the City, and we were safe. A few years ago now, but still...
Yes Cancun is not the place to retire,its for the tourists.Lots of foreigners have lived in Mexico for years or decades and never experienced any violence.I think if you dont get involved in drugs or prostitution you wont have any problems.A couple of americans were murdered in Merida when I was there ,they were gay and got involved with male hookers ,apparently one was a love triangle the other murder was the result of an argument.
Old Jun 3rd 2018, 12:52 am
BE Forum Addict

There's always here Gordon...
Just by the way... You have convinced me to put Grenada on my list of acceptable bolt-holes. As long as the government doesn't try to tax me. Is it safe, in that regard? See, the Mexicans wouldn't tax me, I think.
Old Jun 3rd 2018, 6:39 am

They dont have the nastier forms of the disease like inheritance tax, local income tax yes, and vat and import duties, but foreign income no.

land tax [the rates really] on a decent house is about 200 pounds a year but the services like street cleaning and refuse collection [every other day] are ok.

After all that the cost of shoppings more than the us, overall about on par with the uk, maybe a bit more, depends on how much imported stuff you buy. Houses cost on pat with the poorest areas of the uk, ie cheap, say 250k for a nice sea view 3 bed on half an acre in the equivalent of mayfair. Interesting that you can rip a page out if the ikea catalogue, take it to a furniture maker and say ‘make me that one but 23.5 inches wide, and in teak, and it costs about the same as ikea... Did you also know - that catalogue is now the worlds biggest publication, over 200 million copies a year, the new bible :-}

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...-25-facts.html