Driving license in Argentina

Old Mar 8th 2012, 1:43 pm
Just Joined

pr1970 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Driving license in Argentina

Hi All

We moved to Argentina about 10 months ago for a few years (my wife is from here), and we took out an international driving license each before we left the UK.
Now theyre getting close to expiring we are looking at the options of taking a driving license locally or renewing our international driving license (if we can).

My wife went to try a driving test here recently and the official said that she would have to hand over her uk driving license and have it replaced with an Argentine one. Which means she`d have to retake her license when we go home which seems crazy. Anyone know if this is correct? Should we just renew our international licenses. We are currently renting out our house so our uk address is still valid and on our uk driving licenses.

Thanks
Old Mar 9th 2012, 3:24 pm
Just Joined

el rubio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Driving license in Argentina

I have held residence in Argentina since 1982 and have not taken the local driving test. I always carry my UK licence and the International Driving Permit which I renew annually. This satisfies our insurer.

I have only had to present my documents at the roadside once - at a routine checkpoint on the Ruta 2 last December - and had no trouble. In fact I think I was on my way again sooner than all the other drivers around me.

I can't imagine you would have to re-take your test back in the UK - at worst it would be a case of replacing a 'lost' licence. Nor can I see why your wife would have to hand it in. My experience of this kind of thing is that when officials don't know what to do or where there is no established protocol they just make up any old story.

All that said, if you want to do the right thing it's probably best to take the test. You could try asking the question again, maybe in a different municipality.
Old Mar 9th 2012, 5:34 pm
Forum Regular

elhombresinnombre is an unknown quantity at this point

A non-driver speaks. If I read the OP correctly, when he says 'hand over her uk driving license and have it replaced with an Argentine one' I take that to mean the UK license will be replaced by an Argentine one with no requirement to take an Argentine driving test. If that is the case, it sounds to me like a better option than renewing the IDL time and again. As El Rubio says, you won't have to take a new test when you return to the UK. Your right to drive in the UK may be withdrawn on age or health grounds or because of penalty points earned or because of a court decision but will be unaffected by handing a bit of plastic over to a foreign official.
Old Mar 11th 2012, 2:48 pm
Just Joined

pr1970 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the replies.

It turns out that going back to the driving examiner the next day she was persuaded not to take the UK license away from my wife. So she`ll have both licenses (if she passes). I on the other hand will opt for the IDL again, its easier considering my bad spanish i`d be unlikely to pass the theory test.