British passport renewal.

Old Jul 15th 2015, 1:01 pm
Just Joined

ave2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British passport renewal.

I recently sent my British passport to be renewed back in the UK.
I also sent a copy of my Mexican passport, as requested.
I now really wish I had not done that. Its opened a can of worms, and I would like to ask if anyone has had the same problem.

My British passport has my name on it as it appears on my birth certificate, but my Mexican passport has my mothers maiden name added on as is customary in Latin America.

This has caused a huge problem because the UK passport office are saying that I have two passports with different names. And I may not get my UK passport renewed.

Has anyone else had this problem, and what can be done about it?
Old Jul 15th 2015, 1:50 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British passport renewal.

Originally Posted by ave2
I now really wish I had not done that. Its opened a can of worms, and I would like to ask if anyone has had the same problem.

My British passport has my name on it as it appears on my birth certificate, but my Mexican passport has my mothers maiden name added on as is customary in Latin America.

This has caused a huge problem because the UK passport office are saying that I have two passports with different names. And I may not get my UK passport renewed.

Not had the problem, but I do know about the custom of using both last names in Mexico (former Mexican husband and half Mexican triple nationality child). I have not got a Mexican passport for him, however, just the Mexican registration of birth (showing both last names).

Apparently whoever is processing your passport doesn't know that, however. Are you a born Mexican national, with a Mexican birth certificate? If so, try sending that in along with your British birth certificate, if you have one, and a letter explaining the custom and perhaps reference to an outside source that also explains it. If you naturalized Mexican, can you send whatever documents you used to do that, presumably showing both your mother's and father's last name?
Old May 19th 2016, 10:44 pm
Just Joined

Neil Marshall is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: British passport renewal.

Originally Posted by ave2

Did you get this problem sorted out in the end? I've just had the same problem with the renewal of my son's passport, he's just turned 5 and his first passport was issued in his "British" surname.

The UK passport office is now demanding proof that I've legally changed his name to his "Mexican" format surname, i.e. two surnames, when of course no such proof exists and he is still "British" as far as I am concerned.