British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Central, South America & Mexico (https://britishexpats.com/forum/central-south-america-mexico-123/)
-   -   British Expats in Argentina (https://britishexpats.com/forum/central-south-america-mexico-123/british-expats-argentina-626196/)

MichelleAlison Aug 17th 2009 11:13 pm

British Expats in Argentina

As suggested by other posters, I thought I would start a new thread to see how many British people we can find in Argentina.

Starting with my family, we are originally from London, but now live in Mar del Plata, 250 miles south of Buenos Aires on the Atlantic Ocean.

Regards

Michelle

el rubio Aug 18th 2009 11:35 am

Re: British Expats in Argentina

We are a British/Argentine family living most of the time in the UK though we get to our place in Tigre (30 km north-west of downtown BA) for Christmas and usually one or two other times during the year. We have friends with a cottage near Pinamar (on the coast north of Mar del Plata) which we visit.

When the children are through their education and become independent we hope to follow the sun and spend more time in Argentina.

We too integrate with the locals and have not come across anyone 'like us' yet - just a few families posted to BA that invariably up sticks after a couple of years and move on when they complete their tour of duty. We have found many more 'like us' living and working in Britain than in Argentina!

MichelleAlison Aug 18th 2009 1:54 pm

Hi El Rubio, nice to meet you. You will be surprised at how many Brits are now making Argentina their permanent home. I am married to an Argentine, hence we chose Argentina. We lived in the UK for 23 years before making the move and pulled the kids out of school and college, because we realised that there was never going to be a good time to make the change, and I wanted the children to come with us. I would not have come if I had to leave them behind.

What a wonderful place to have a home on the river in Tigre. It's like being in another world and not just on the outskirts of Buenos Aires. Pinamar is also a very beautiful place, but a bit too quite in the winter. We were there in April and even the cinema was shut!

What part of the UK are you in?

Saludos de Mar del Plata

Michelle

el rubio Aug 24th 2009 2:49 pm

Hi Michelle. I sent you a PM on Friday.

marlin Aug 25th 2009 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by el rubio (Post 7871241)
Hi Michelle. I sent you a PM on Friday.

hi Michelle marlin here i seemed to have lost our original thread havent got used to usesing this site yet . Having a lot of agro with getting our new visas at the moment some horror of a woman in conception Uraguay. speak soon

MichelleAlison Aug 25th 2009 11:32 pm

Hi Marlin,

I did send you a private message. Have a look at the top of the page and click "private messages".

Why are you having problems with your visas?

Saludos

Michelle

marlin Aug 26th 2009 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by MichelleAlison (Post 7875099)
Hi Marlin,

I did send you a private message. Have a look at the top of the page and click "private messages".

Why are you having problems with your visas?

Saludos

Michelle

Hi Michelle haven't received any private messages from you so far. I know you said you left some contact details but I didn't get those either.

I think we have solved our visa problems now.
speak soon Marlin

MichelleAlison Aug 27th 2009 4:39 am

Hi Marlin,

I think I sent the message by email, so this time I have sent it to your private messages, which you can access in the top right hand corner of the forum.

Saludos

Michelle

Porteno Apr 11th 2010 12:37 am

Originally Posted by MichelleAlison (Post 7851804)
As suggested by other posters, I thought I would start a new thread to see how many British people we can find in Argentina.

Starting with my family, we are originally from London, but now live in Mar del Plata, 250 miles south of Buenos Aires on the Atlantic Ocean.

Regards

Michelle

Hi, I'm British and married to an Argentine. We originally lived in Brazil but moved here in 1981, so we've been around for quite a while. We were recently enjoying a well-earned vacation on your patch Michelle. My wife has always loved Mar del Plata having vacationed there as a child. I had only been there once before in 1973 when I was not particularly impressed. However, our trip there last month opened my eyes a lot and I fell in love with the place, especially the people who were so much more affable than those here in BA.:lol:

MichelleAlison Apr 11th 2010 4:02 pm

Hi Porteño,

Glad to know that you enjoyed Mar del Plata the second time around. Next time you come down, please let me know and we can meet up. I have met some lovely expats through the forums, when they come to visit.

I am surpsied that you didn't like the city in 1973 - according to every Argentine, the 70's was the best era :lol:

Saludos
Michelle

Porteno Apr 11th 2010 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by MichelleAlison (Post 8488319)
Hi Porteño,

Glad to know that you enjoyed Mar del Plata the second time around. Next time you come down, please let me know and we can meet up. I have met some lovely expats through the forums, when they come to visit.

I am surpsied that you didn't like the city in 1973 - according to every Argentine, the 70's was the best era :lol:

Saludos
Michelle

At the time of my visit, the country was ruled by Isabelita and the unions. The Hermitage was a third rate, barely one-star establishment with no service whatsoever, so we moved across the street to the Provincial, which was only marginally better. The rooms were certainly nicer, but the water was sea water and they didn't supply the appropriate soap, thus bathing and shaving were a distinctly unpleasant exercise. The prices in the restaurant were over the top and the food second rate. Most of the guests were union goons packing side arms and the entire atmosphere was very uncomfortable. We went at Easter, but unlike this year when there was a huge surge of visitors, the influx was barely noticeable then. Fortunately, my wife had some family and friends living there and they showed us around what was decidedly not a particularly attractive city - I compared it to BA by the sea and much worse than Brighton. Sure, Playa Grande and Los Troncos were a delight, but the rest was decidedly unappealing.

On this occasion I found a very well organised infrastructure, a comforting police presence (extremely helpful and charming officers, not at all like the what we are led to believe about the provincial police force), lots of attractive shops and eateries, an apparently efficient life guard service, etc., etc. I really cannot imagine why anybody thought the 70s was a good time there, or anywhere else in Argentina at that time, except that for us from Brazil it was extraordinarily cheap! :lol:

MichelleAlison Apr 11th 2010 4:53 pm

The Argentines complain all the time, especially the porteños "40 years ago Mar del Plata was the city for the rich" "it has changed for the worse" etc. I just say this is modern progress - of course it's horrible when old houses are destroyed to make way for new apartment blocks, but without progress, the city would have died a long time ago.

Have a look at my website for the city www.mardelplatanews.com.

Saludos
Michelle

Porteno Apr 11th 2010 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by MichelleAlison (Post 8488390)
The Argentines complain all the time, especially the porteños "40 years ago Mar del Plata was the city for the rich" "it has changed for the worse" etc. I just say this is modern progress - of course it's horrible when old houses are destroyed to make way for new apartment blocks, but without progress, the city would have died a long time ago.

Have a look at my website for the city www.mardelplatanews.com.

Saludos
Michelle

What a great website, beautifully arranged and very informative, not to mention the excellent photography. Congratulations! The Government could use your talent!

MichelleAlison Apr 12th 2010 2:40 am

The first thing I would do if I had power in Argentina, is to make motorists give way to pedestrians, especially on a zebra crossing. Not sure why they have zebra crossings, must be decorative. ;)

What part of the UK are you from? I am originally from London.

Regards
Michelle

Porteno Apr 12th 2010 2:58 am

Originally Posted by MichelleAlison (Post 8489136)

The first thing I would do if I had power in Argentina, is to make motorists give way to pedestrians, especially on a zebra crossing. Not sure why they have zebra crossings, must be decorative. ;)

What part of the UK are you from? I am originally from London.

Regards
Michelle

Well, I thought the drivers in Mar del Plata were a little more respectful than those in BA and even here it's a lot better now than a few years ago. If one could trust the pedestrians to be more respectful too, it would help, but they walk in the same manner as they drive! Or is it the other way round? Rather like the chicken and the egg!

I was born and raised in Banstead, Surrey about 17 miles south of London and was educated at Whitgift, Croydon. Whereabouts in London are you from?

Best wishes,

Porteño:thumbsup:

MichelleAlison Apr 12th 2010 3:22 am

Porteño,

I was born in the East End, grew up in North London and when I got married, we moved to Barkingside and then Newbury Park (East London/Essex).

We swapped Newbury Park for Mar del Plata :thumbsup:

MILNGAVIE Aug 19th 2010 3:31 pm

I haven't been browsing this forum for quite a while I see.

I'm a Scot in my 50's married to a Argentine. We moved from Glasgow to our place here (100 miles from Buenos Aires) permanently three years ago this October....how time flies. We already had our own house after visiting here every year on holiday for many years so it wasn't much of a problem for me.....and my wife was glad to be home near her mother who was getting on a bit.
Going back to the UK next month on holiday to stock up on T bags and HP sauce. :thumbsup:

MichelleAlison Aug 20th 2010 3:05 pm

Nice to hear from you again...we will have been here four years this October and time certainly flies :)

We still have teabags sent over by post. I think we have three lots on their way at the moment jajaja - nothing like a good cup of English tea...can you imagine dunking biscuits in mate!!! yuk......

100 miles frm Bs As - where is that exactly?

Saludos y besos
Michelle

Originally Posted by MILNGAVIE (Post 8788134)
I haven't been browsing this forum for quite a while I see.

I'm a Scot in my 50's married to a Argentine. We moved from Glasgow to our place here (100 miles from Buenos Aires) permanently three years ago this October....how time flies. We already had our own house after visiting here every year on holiday for many years so it wasn't much of a problem for me.....and my wife was glad to be home near her mother who was getting on a bit.
Going back to the UK next month on holiday to stock up on T bags and HP sauce. :thumbsup:

MILNGAVIE Aug 20th 2010 7:08 pm

Hi Michelle...we're near Bragado.

Do you not have any problem with customs having tea bags sent to you....are you allowed to receive items like tea through the post? My sister was going to send me some spices so I could make curry but I told her they might be confiscated. Certainly great to know that this would be possible. Is the postage quite high for the amount sent?

MichelleAlison Aug 22nd 2010 1:03 am

We have received all the teabags sent without any problems. When the postman delivers them, you can see that the bag has been opened and contents checked. They also put the whole parcel in a new plastic bag for protection.

It is expensive to send teabags, but I get my friends to send small amounts, so as to keep the costs down.

Get your sister to send the spices and see if they arrive.

It does take about three weeks in the post!!!!!

Saludos
Michelle

geoffreybrooks Sep 9th 2010 8:43 pm

Michelle

I didn't realize that we came from the same borough. I went to ICHS 1955-1960 and lived in Barking near the Thames. Am returning to UK for a visit early in the New Year, taking my daughter to visit two aunts (Barking) and her brother (Cardiff) for the first time. Am going to bring back as much Marmite as I can carry.

MichelleAlison Sep 10th 2010 2:03 am

You were a bright boy Geoffrey going to ICHS :D Now it is almost impossible for boys to get into this school. Hundreds of boys sit the 11 plus hoping to get one of the 120 sought after places!

If you haven't been to Barking for a long time, you won't recognise the place. In fact, you won't even think you are in England :lol:

Let us know how your trip goes!

Saludos
Michelle

PS Should just mention that the last two lots of teabags still haven't appeared nearly a month on. It could because because both parcels had other things in them!!! One had Jaffa cakes :D

steffir Sep 24th 2010 6:04 pm

Hiya everyone

We are moving to BA from Brighton in the New Year. We're heading out in two weeks to look at schools and areas to live then my husband is coming out in November until Christmas, then we'll all move together in January.

Any top tips about making the move go smoothly would be much appreciated, and any need to know info about Argentina and the culture so we don't make any gaffe's would be helpful too!

MichelleAlison Sep 24th 2010 8:32 pm

Hi Steffir and welcome to the forum.

Although I know Buenos Aires, I don't actually live there, so I can't really comment too much, although most of the expats live in and around Palermo, Recoleta and all the areas north such as San Isidro and Belgrano etc. I think Belgrano has a lot of good schools.

Hopefully somebody who lives in Bs As can help you more!

What brings you to Argentina?

Regards
Michelle

steffir Sep 25th 2010 8:36 am

Originally Posted by MichelleAlison (Post 8873659)
Hi Steffir and welcome to the forum.

Although I know Buenos Aires, I don't actually live there, so I can't really comment too much, although most of the expats live in and around Palermo, Recoleta and all the areas north such as San Isidro and Belgrano etc. I think Belgrano has a lot of good schools.

Hopefully somebody who lives in Bs As can help you more!

What brings you to Argentina?

Regards
Michelle

Hi Michelle

Thanks for responding, we are moving with my husbands job, should be for around two years. We are all very excited about the move but a wee bit scared too!

How long have you been in Argentina for?

geoffreybrooks Sep 25th 2010 1:56 pm

Dear Steffir

I have lived in Buenos Aires for seven years consecutively, overall for about thirteen years.

As regards obtaining residence and other rights you will want to seek out, please see my thread "Obtaining Residence and DNI in Argentina". I have "first priority" being the father of an Argentine child and you can see from my long and incomplete adventure the problems which may confront you. I can find out immigration data for you if you require it.

You should state the ages of your children. Secondary education in Argentina begins at age twelve. It is very common in Argentina for those who can afford it to enroll in private schools. My daughter attended nursery school in the city centre from age three. We paid for private education at the same school until she was twelve. I think this is nowadays about 700 pesos per month (calculate 6 pesos to the pound sterling). If you live in the provinces it will be a lot cheaper, there are very expensive schools in the San Isidro district. We live in Boedo which is the other side of the city.

My daughter is now 15 and at a State school having qualified for entry at age twelve by means of an English language examination open to all children of that age.

When I first came to Argentina in 1993, even though I had lived in Spain for a year I found it literally impossible to follow the language. As I have family here, gradually it improved. Watching cable TV with Spanish sub-titles is a help. Nowadays I can even follow a football commentary on the radio which is the peak of achievement for British people.

Transport about the capital is by taxi, Subte (underground railway), the surface railway system or colectivo (local single-decker bus).

Ten blocks by taxi will cost you about 8 pesos. A tip is not usual.

There are six Subte lines. They are all interconnected. The entire system is underground. For 1.10 pesos (27 pence) you can go anywhere. There is a Monedero card which you can charge up at most Subte stations. Although there is some new stock, do not be surprised to see trains which appear to be the survivors of an earlier epoch - most of the rolling stock on Linea A is the wooden original and has been operating since 1913. The Subte is safe, but only operates between 0500 and 2200.

The surface railway system runs outwards from Retiro (three lines), Constitution, Once and Federico Lacroze. It is unbelievable what people will put up with for a cheap fare, and surface rail travel is the cheapest way to get around. Generally it is safe. The only line which the Board of Trade would allow in Britain is the Delta run from Maipu to Tigre, which has a conductor, heating in winter and automatically closing doors.

The inter-provincial and international buses ("micros") leave from Retiro.

The colectivo costs on the average 1.25 pesos for most journeys of intermediate length, which can be surprisingly long. At present, and for the last few years, there has been a grave shortage of coins in Argentina. Almost all colectivo journeys are paid for through a coin machine aboard the vehicle and this is one of the major causes of the shortage. A number of banks will now change from 10 to up to 50 pesos in coins, take your passport, only one visit to a particular bank per day. Colectivos do not necessarily run to a timetable. Occasionally you may consider the speed of a colectivo to be reckless. There are several routes which are notorious for getting from terminus to terminus at the fastest possible speed, and devil take the hindmost.

There are policemen stationed at many street corners. The main danger on the streets is the motorcycle with passenger (motor-chorro) for bag snatching. Never take out your wallet where it can be seen. Guard valuables such as cameras. Do not wear ostentatious jewellery. These are just precautions, the crime rate is not so serious as in Northern capitals.

Anything further just ask.

MichelleAlison Sep 25th 2010 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by steffir (Post 8874494)
Hi Michelle

Thanks for responding, we are moving with my husbands job, should be for around two years. We are all very excited about the move but a wee bit scared too!

How long have you been in Argentina for?

I have been here four years next month! My three children are very happy. The youngest has just turned 16 and is in high school. They have to stay at school until they are 18, otherwise they don't get their high school certificate. It's this certificate that allows them to continue onto higher education. You are also moving at a good time, because schools don't re-start until March, so the children will have the summer to acclimatise to their new surroundings and you will also have time to have a look at schools in February. How old are your children?

I am sure that your husband's company will help with many expenses, so it shouldn't be too much of an issue regarding inflation. Earning in a foreign currency is also a huge advantage!

Please keep posting questions and we will try our best to answer them.

Regards
Michelle

el rubio Oct 5th 2010 11:42 am

Hi Steffir.

I have had one foot in BA since 1982, living mainly in the UK but spending quite a bit of time there with my family too.

I know a good few people (families and individuals) who have gone as expats and all of them have had a wonderful experience. It has to be said that this status insulates you somewhat from the difficulties you could face as a local, such as schooling, being at the mercy of the volatile national economy and so on.

Life in BA has a southern european feel to it and you should not find the social norms at all alien. Most people will welcome you into their circle and you will be on the same wavelength as the educated middle class. (Please excuse the snobbery but that's the way it is.)

As for the language, I find that the 'rioplatense' (pertaining to the River Plate) enunciation is very clear in comparison to Iberian Spanish and I could get by within a couple of months starting from zero. Like anywhere else, they have their own slang and dialect, but the big difference from most varieties is the use of 'vos' (you singular) instead of 'tÚ' and corresponding differences in verb conjugations.

I'd recommend the area to the north of the capital, namely Vicente Lopez, San Isidro, Tigre as pleasant places to live and within easy reach (traffic permitting) of downtown. As Michelle said, there are also nice places in the capital but if you want peace, quiet and fresh air I'd advise against it.

Lastly, we may be able to help you with accommodation from January. Please send me a PM (private message) if you're interested.

coopeteer Oct 17th 2010 10:37 am

Originally Posted by Porteno (Post 8489153)
Well, I thought the drivers in Mar del Plata were a little more respectful than those in BA and even here it's a lot better now than a few years ago. If one could trust the pedestrians to be more respectful too, it would help, but they walk in the same manner as they drive! Or is it the other way round? Rather like the chicken and the egg!

I was born and raised in Banstead, Surrey about 17 miles south of London and was educated at Whitgift, Croydon. Whereabouts in London are you from?

Best wishes,

Porteño:thumbsup:

Irish/English guy, used to live in BA! Moved to India, thinking of moving back. I miss it!

maximp Nov 5th 2010 3:44 pm

Hi,

I'm Maxi, Argentinian who has lived in Brighton for more than four years. I am returning to Buenos Aires for a couple of months and I may need of your knowledge. Basically, I want to ask, where I can find in Buenos Aires the following products?

-Baked Beans
-Back bacon
-Gammon
-HP sauce
-Marmite
-Jaffa Cakes
-Cumberland sausages or similar.

Maybe, you know some shop specialised in British products in BA. I will really appreciate your help on this matter. Thanks in advance.

Max

maximp Nov 5th 2010 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by steffir (Post 8873450)
Hiya everyone

We are moving to BA from Brighton in the New Year. We're heading out in two weeks to look at schools and areas to live then my husband is coming out in November until Christmas, then we'll all move together in January.

Any top tips about making the move go smoothly would be much appreciated, and any need to know info about Argentina and the culture so we don't make any gaffe's would be helpful too!

Well, it seems that we were neighbours here (Brighton) and We will be neighbours there!!! (well, at least in the same city). I am Argentinian, but I have been living in Brighton (Bedford Square) in the last four years. We (me and my wife) will be arriving to Buenos Aires in December. If you need some help, you can contact me.

Cheers

Max

steffir Jan 5th 2011 1:27 pm

Hey Max:D

How funny, my friend used to live in Bedford Square, we currently live in Withdean near the stadium.

We're just packing everything up now as we leave on the 23rd, we'll be living in Martinez in BA, very excited but slightly scared too.

Thanks for your offer of help, i may just take you up on that. Hope your move goes well too!

Steff

simplyundecided Apr 19th 2011 1:26 pm

HI Michelle,

I have read your posts and see you are quite happy living in Argentina, I was hoping perhaps you could give me some advice. I am from London and have met a wonderful Argentinian man and we wish to marry, the problem being we have fallen on hard times in Spain firstly because he had a heart attack and now the crisis, and although he wishes to return to Argentina now after 15yrs away we dont know where to begin,.... having minimal savings left. The added problem is our age, being in our early 50s although we still feel young and adventurous i am worried about growing old in a country i know little about, what is the country like for state pensions etc...... any advise you could offer would be much appreciated.
I have too many fears and not enough answers.....

many thanks Sonia:

elhombresinnombre Apr 19th 2011 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by simplyundecided (Post 9314010)
HI Michelle,

I have read your posts and see you are quite happy living in Argentina, I was hoping perhaps you could give me some advice. I am from London and have met a wonderful Argentinian man and we wish to marry, the problem being we have fallen on hard times in Spain firstly because he had a heart attack and now the crisis, and although he wishes to return to Argentina now after 15yrs away we dont know where to begin,.... having minimal savings left. The added problem is our age, being in our early 50s although we still feel young and adventurous i am worried about growing old in a country i know little about, what is the country like for state pensions etc...... any advise you could offer would be much appreciated.
I have too many fears and not enough answers.....

many thanks Sonia:

I am not Michelle but may I pitch in with a few comments? First, this really is a huge and complicated question with no single correct answer - it's what works for you that counts. So here I go...

Hard times in Spain, in the UK and also in Argentina - especially for the 'middle classes' in Argentina (that includes you and I) who are being squeezed by high inflation and a populist government ruling by presidential decree because they intend to win the election this year. So don't move for economic reasons. On the other hand, Argentine families survive these sorts of crisies by the way they bond together and support each other: your man may be much better off 'at home' but the flipside is that you might end up feeling left out by the intensity of their family bond. How are things with your family in the UK? I'm not sure how Argentine state pensions would affect you but the UK state pension would be paid to you in full when you reach retirement age if you have 30 years of NI contributions by that time but there's no agreement with Argentina to uprate it year by year. If you are married to an Argentine citizen it's very easy to become a permanent resident.

I suggest you both do a lot more research and hopefully make a short visit to see what it's all like for yourselves. In the meantime, try reading more specific expat blogs for Argentina and Buenos Aires, reading La Nacion and Clarin on the web and watching tn.com.ar to find out more about life (but bear in mind that while TN is the easiest news channel to stream from abroad, their news is non-stop adrenalin-fueled panic! It's not quite as bad as all that!) Good luck. I hope you come to a decision that works for both of you.

simplyundecided Apr 19th 2011 5:49 pm

Thank you so much for your reply ELHOMBRESINNOMBRE, we did stay for a year in Buenos Aires and returned to spain last autumn.. so i have a good idea what to expect from the lifestyle,,,, which I might add is much better then Europe. But now the talk of making a future there is very daunting, simply because nobody can forsee what can happen as we grow older.....

I presume you are aware that the system in England does provide a certain amount of security for everyone which ever circumstances they find themselves, but can the same be said of Argentina ??
and we are to be married, so would that make a difference to my status in the country.

saludos
Sonia

elhombresinnombre Apr 19th 2011 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by simplyundecided (Post 9314594)
Thank you so much for your reply ELHOMBRESINNOMBRE, we did stay for a year in Buenos Aires and returned to spain last autumn.. so i have a good idea what to expect from the lifestyle,,,, which I might add is much better then Europe. But now the talk of making a future there is very daunting, simply because nobody can forsee what can happen as we grow older.....

I presume you are aware that the system in England does provide a certain amount of security for everyone which ever circumstances they find themselves, but can the same be said of Argentina ??
and we are to be married, so would that make a difference to my status in the country.

saludos
Sonia

I agree with you about the lifestyle - I am much happier in Argentina than in England but even during the period since you left, prices have spiralled and are more expensive than some parts of Europe. I mention this only because you mentioned your savings earlier.

It's not quite true what you say about the safety-net in the UK: if you are a returning British subject who has been away for a long time you need to demonstrate an 'intention to remain' to access the NHS and benefits system and things would be very strict about your partner/husband - you need to look this up. I have no idea about benefits or pensions, if any, should you become a legal resident of Argentina and/or married to an Argentine. My future is predicated on providing my own. You probably need to discuss this sort of matter with native Argentines -especially perhaps an Argentine lawyer. You'll find these in locally based discussion groups, including one that I regularly contribute to (which you will easily find by typing Buenos Aires and my nickname into Google).

el rubio Apr 20th 2011 11:58 am

Hi simplyundecided.

I'm not Michelle either but I share your age range and sense of adventure.

I am a Brit with Argentine wife and we have had one foot in BA for the past 28 years.

There are so many things to weigh up when making this kind of decision: my advice is to prioritise, keep your options open as much as possible, and think hard about what you want from life.

Some things are the same the world over and I for one am not making any plans around state benefits or services either here or there. Anything that I may get will simply be viewed as pocket money. From what I see in Argentina, anyone relying solely on these has a very basic existence indeed. It can be better in the UK so long as you have made the necessary national insurance contributions.

Health services are important to us and this can become a big issue as one ages. The PAMI service (for those in receipt of a state pension) seems very basic and I'd recommend you budget for a private service, as have we. It costs about AR$1200 per month currently for the four of us, which is bearable, but we joined in good health and you may have difficulty or restrictions imposed with a pre-existing condition.

Good luck with the decision-making.

simplyundecided Apr 20th 2011 4:02 pm

Thank you you both so much,,, for taking the time to reply to my message.

Your comments are much appreciated, and is what i expected to he honest, because is similar in Spain.

If anyone else has further advice, I would appreciate that also.

many thanks

Skypilot84 May 10th 2011 9:23 pm

Buenos dias,

Just to introduce myself as fellow Brit who has made the move to Argentina.

I arrived last week, and I am getting settled in Buenos Aires. Any advice or suggestions for a newcomer to Argentina welcomed!

johnh009 May 16th 2011 10:36 am

Originally Posted by Skypilot84 (Post 9355972)
Buenos dias,

Just to introduce myself as fellow Brit who has made the move to Argentina.

I arrived last week, and I am getting settled in Buenos Aires. Any advice or suggestions for a newcomer to Argentina welcomed!

Here is something that may encourage you:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/property/...e-to-live.html