Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Central, South America & Mexico
Reload this Page >

Advice on work for experienced UK expat

Advice on work for experienced UK expat

Old Jun 13th 2011, 9:18 pm
Just Joined

sav1979 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice on work for experienced UK expat

Hi all, I am hoping that someone maybe able to help out with some advise on the best ways to go about finding employment in South America. I have lived in UAE for the past 4 years and am looking for a change with my primary focus on South America. I have 8 years experience in supply chain and logistics and have been working in management consultancy for the past couple of years. I am a real hard worker and will turn my hand to anything but would prefer to stay within my field if possible. It would be great if nyone could help me out with some pointers on where to look. I'm open to honest input on whether it is feasible to find work whilst out of the country or whether it's something that needs to be done on the ground.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. I should also mention that my Spanish is very basic but I I'll put in the hours to learn as much as possible prior to my arrival (hopefully by the start of 2012) when I have completed my current project.

Thanks

Andrew
Old Jun 21st 2011, 5:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

dfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on work for experienced UK expat

Andrew, I can only comment on how things are in Chile. The biggest problem you have is not being fluent in Spanish, and it´s something you can´t become fluent or even half fluent in with even a year´s hard studying. Now, if you had experience in the mining industry, you would have no end of jobs to choose from, at very high salaries, and where Spanish is of no importance at all. What must be borne in mind when thinking about Chile is that there are a hell of a lot of very highly qualified people around in all areas ( except mining), and therefore you don´t have anything to offer that isn´t already on offer here. You couldn´t expect to do any kind of consulting work if you aren´t fluent, and the same would be the case for supply chain positions. You´ll probably find you´d have the same problems in any other Latin America country
Old Jun 21st 2011, 6:27 pm
Just Joined

Hi there, many thanks for the feedback and it is as I thought unfortunately. Thanks again for the honest input, much appreciated.

Cheers
Old Jun 28th 2011, 4:40 pm
Just Joined

porph is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you had a look at some of the big American multinationals? For example, the firm I work for has several offices and data centres in Buenos Aires alone as well as others in Rosario and Cordoba and then big presences in Sao Paolo and other parts of Brazil as well as Chile. Our areas of business are management consultancy, technology and business process outsourcing.

With regards to language requirements, certainly in Argentina it is only that all employees can speak English to a degree (depending on level of the role).

I am sure that many other American firms have similar policies. With the move to outsourcing to lower cost locations there seem to be a lot of open positions. Whether or not they match exactly with your experience I don't know but worth a look.
Old Jun 28th 2011, 5:13 pm
Just Joined

Hi Porph, I have looked at several multinationals based in the states and the UK but I think in order to get something I would need to be located there and it seems difficult to set something up in advance. I seem to have drawn blanks at US companies purely because I would require sponsorship to work there. However, I was flown out to the middle east by employers previously for interviews and then relocation costs paid etc so it is probably just landing on the right company at the right time. I would be most grateful if you would be able to share the name of the company you work for so i can take a look as maybe that will assist me in my search.

Appreciate your assistance.

Many thanks

Andrew
Old Jun 28th 2011, 6:25 pm
Just Joined

porph is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Andrew - I just sent you a private message.