Work Permit Query

Old Dec 18th 2014, 7:46 pm
Forum Regular

Aquaman92 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Work Permit Query

Hi All,

I have a potential job lined up however I'm just a little worried about not being granted a work permit due to an old driving conviction. Specifically a DR10 from almost 5 years ago as a naive 17 year old, resulting in a 9 month ban reduced from 12 months for completing a Magistrates approved course, this is my only conviction and only time I have been in trouble with the police a one off silly mistake. Im wondering what affect this will have on my ability to be granted a work permit, how strict are they on this kind of thing? I've done a little research but so far haven't been able to find anything other than an affidavit can help..?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Old Dec 18th 2014, 10:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Work Permit Query

How recent does a Police Clearance documents have to be?
It must be under 6 months old.

If I have a drink-driving conviction can I get a work permit in the Cayman Islands?
The answer is not necessarily "no". You will need to submit a police clearance and include with it an affidavit that discloses the drink-driving conviction and explains the circumstances and promises that it will never happen again.

If I have a criminal conviction can I get a work permit in the Cayman Islands?
Almost invariably no, unless it is a minor offense, committed in ones misspent youth and you can explain it in an affidavit. On the affidavit you have to promise that it will never happen again. However, a positive decision (on whether to grant you a work permit) is not guaranteed and is purely down to the Cayman Island's Immigration Dept's discretion.

The New Resident is a great resource!
Old Dec 19th 2014, 9:55 am
Forum Regular

Hi thanks for the response,

I imagine it depends what the particular immigrations officers view on what constitutes a minor offence is as well. As stated it was almost 5 years ago as a 17 year old, nobody was hurt, breathalyser reading was 46 and of course the limit is 35. I could explain completely the situation in an affidavit. How long does it take to obtain an affidavit ?

I technically do not have a criminal record as the conviction is spent and does not show up on even an enhanced DBS however it will do on a police clearance although to my knowledge this will be filtered of it within about 8 months.

My next steps are obtaining a police certificate and an affidavit to help my case ?
Old Dec 19th 2014, 5:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

Affidavit takes as long the notary takes to authorize it. I had one done in about 10 mins . I scribbled the text and then got the notary to notarize it. So yes get the police clearance, draft the document and then get it witnessed. The number of people that have DUI's in Cayman, I don't think it is considered a big deal!.
Good luck.
Old Dec 20th 2014, 11:17 am
Forum Regular

Thanks again for the information. I'll get the form for the Police Clearance sent off although with it being Christmas I imagine it may take slightly longer than desired. It will come back with ' no live trace ' as there is a conviction but it is spent and several years ago rather than ' no trace ' hopefully this will work in my favour and shouldn't prove an issue. Do I need to get a solicitor to witness/draft an affidavit ?

Thanks in advance
Old Dec 20th 2014, 3:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

They certainly have to witness and sign it. Depends how good your written skills are. I wouldn't pay someone to write it. You'd have to give that person the facts so who best to write it than you? Research online how to write an affivadit and then when you feel you have a good draft, go to the notary or whoever is attesting to it. She may make some corrections.
I wrote one because I was living in a country that didn't give police clearances so mine was pretty basic.