Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Cayman Islands
Reload this Page >

Thinking of moving my family to the Cayman Islands

Thinking of moving my family to the Cayman Islands

Old Jan 6th 2011, 12:04 pm
Just Joined

Becky B00 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Thinking of moving my family to the Cayman Islands

This is all totally new to me but I am hoping to gain some advice on moving abroad.

My husband has the opportunity of a job in George Town, it is all very tempting but we will be leaving a comfy country lifestyle back in blighty, albeit a bit wet and tax squeezed with a commute from hell for my husband. However Cayman looks as though it offers a lovely lifestyle too and my 3 children (aged 5, 7, 9) would get the chance of a great school. We have both lived abroad but this was prior to having children and is an incomparable experience.

I am finding it so hard to commit to a decision, largely because I don’t know what we would be going to, plus as I search the internet for rental properties on the island I am having trouble finding 4 bedroom properties, are most of the properties small?

Is moving to the Caymans with children all it looks?

Becky
Old Jan 9th 2011, 4:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking of moving my family to the Cayman Islands

It is indeed a wonderful lifestyle. There is a lot of talk of corruption and crime in the islands but in the 12 years I lived there I never was a victim of any crime or bad experiences. I dont have children but most of my friends do and they have a great time. You have to use the private schools which have a good reputation.
There are lots of houses for rent, probably be about $3,500 - $4,000 a month. Century 21 look after a lot of rentals. I can PM you contact details. A lot of people live in condos which when you're coming from a country house in the UK will seem very small. Rent a house in Savannah or South Sound and you'll have about 2,500-4,000 sqft. Commute 5-15 mins.
I housesat for my last 6 months in a gorgeous 4 bed house in Bodden Town on the beach.. cant beat living on the water.. but it is expensive. It was a 25 min commute to town but so worth it.
I just left 2 months ago for a job opportunity in the US and I really miss the lifestyle..and the warm weather..
Old Jan 14th 2011, 10:22 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my posting we have made the decision to take an adventure and move to the Grand Cayman.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 1:56 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Becky B00
Thank you for taking the time to reply to my posting we have made the decision to take an adventure and move to the Grand Cayman.
Have you considered the immigration laws of the Cayman Islands and how they will impact you and your children over time?
Old Jan 17th 2011, 2:12 pm
Just Joined

Hi
Could you expand a little, which laws in particular?
Old Jan 17th 2011, 5:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

The Govt has a rollover policy in place so you can stay 7 years and then have to leave. It is a self protection mechanism and has been pretty controversial. There are ways around this ie if your company puts you in for key employee so you can reach the 8 years required to apply for a residency certificate which allows you the right to work there but company stills pays equivalent of the work permit fees. If you are prepared to just stay for a certain period - it's not an issue but you may change your mind.
I originally went out there on a 8 month contract and liked it so much I quit my original company when they wanted to send me elsewhere and stayed!
Old Jan 17th 2011, 7:39 pm
Just Joined

Hi
Thanks for this. Yes we are aware of the 7 year issue, it is nice to hear that you enjoyed it so much you wanted to stay, positive message.
Old Jan 18th 2011, 2:37 am
Forum Regular

Shish kebab is just really niceShish kebab is just really niceShish kebab is just really niceShish kebab is just really niceShish kebab is just really niceShish kebab is just really niceShish kebab is just really niceShish kebab is just really niceShish kebab is just really nice

Hi I moved back to the cayman islands with my husband and daughter after being away for a few years. I am form the UK and my husband was born here but brought up in the states. his family are all here and we have our own small business. I was very surprised at the changes the government have put into place. Yes it is a nice life for you and the kids to live but it is very expensive. You will as mentioned need to put your kids into the private school system and fees are from $1000 CI dollars and up per month per child here is a link to one of the best private schools on the island www.cayprep.edu.ky there are other ones. There are plenty of homes and apartments/condos for rent and for sale as a lot of people left the island last year due to the bad econimay setting in. Rents are about $2000CI and up. This other web site will give you a lot of information on living in the island. www.caymannewresident.com/. I would come on a holiday to check it out first before making that big move so you are sure as it all looks good in pictures and books but when you live here it is so different.
another handy web link is www.ecayonline.com/ Our local version of ebay andit is good for looking for accommodation.
Sorry If I sound so negative but you need some true facts and it has been an eye opener for me. I hope this helps. Good luck
Old Jan 18th 2011, 8:17 am

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Becky B00
Good on you !!! People will give you different accounts of their experiences, but only you can add to your personal life experiences. As the advert says 'memories are priceless'. Go and make some good memories !!!
Old Jan 18th 2011, 1:04 pm
Just Joined

Hi Shish
Thanks for your posting, it doesn't seem negative just realistic and it is appreciated, I think we are coming over with our eyes open with regards cost of living etc. I am most concerned about living in what seems to be a fabulous holiday location, but is it so good long term, alongside us keeping my children busy and entertained after the initial excitement wears off, hopefully I am worrying over nothing, and being English I need something to worry about ) Thanks for the 'ecay trade' tip, this looks like a very useful tool.
Regards

Last edited by Becky B00; Jan 18th 2011 at 1:10 pm.
Old Jan 18th 2011, 1:16 pm
Just Joined

Thanks PGTips, I agree with that, only we can make this our own and make it work for us, off to start making lovely memories
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 3:24 am
Just Joined

cpjackso is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi becky -

I moved to Grand Cayman with my wife in Sept 2010 and it's been good!

Things can be expensive but don't take cayman new resident as gospel because it seems to give the worst case scenario sometimes.

The main things to be aware of, in my opinion, is the banking system is very difficult to get sorted when your first arrive and things can move .. At a slightly slower pace than the uk

My advice is to get local mobiles as soon as you arrive (lime payg works well for us) and also to go to the dvld (cayman equivalent of dvla) for your cayman driving licences when you arrive so you have ID and a contact method. This helps smooth things with the banks etc! Get your current bank to write you a reference with your name, addressed to the actual bank you want to use in cayman and to say how long you have been a customer and average balance.

My advice about houses is don't panic and rush into something early... I realise with kids it can more difficult but there are bargains to be had what with all the rollovers etc! Depends on what your employer is going to provide when you get here I suppose.

Fosters is a supermarket that has a few branches around the island, we found it useful to read their weekly special offers that they publish on the web to get an idea about food prices.

Reply or drop me a pm if you have any other questions etc!
Old Feb 5th 2011, 12:43 pm
Just Joined

Pipo is an unknown quantity at this point

Dear all,

I will certainly have the opportunity to move to Cayman Islands with my family for a mission of 2-3 years.

I have read all your messages about lifestyle on the island but I would like to know what is your feeling regarding criminality ?

Of course there is crime on the island, even increasing, but I m still convinced that it is not worse than elsewhere. What is your point of view ? Do you still feel safe on the Island ?

Thanks in advance for your appreciated feedback.
Pipo.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 8:57 pm
Just Joined

johnthebrief is just really nicejohnthebrief is just really nicejohnthebrief is just really nicejohnthebrief is just really nicejohnthebrief is just really nicejohnthebrief is just really nicejohnthebrief is just really nicejohnthebrief is just really nice

I have been living in Grand Cayman (on SevenMile Beach) since July, and while I have read a fair bit about crime in the local press, I have had no experience of it at all. I have in fact never been anywhere that I have felt at all nervous or unsafe.

As I understand it, there is effectively one street in west bay that houses some criminal families who are forever having a go at each other, and there are some gangs who are going through a spate of small-scale robberies as "initiations" for their members.

Unless you own a money transfer business or work as the night attendant in a garage you don't really have much to worry about
Old Feb 15th 2011, 8:28 pm
Just Joined

Petalski is an unknown quantity at this point

I moved to Cayman with my husband and four children (aged 10, 8, 6 and 5) two years ago. We intended to stay just one year, we will stay at least another year. Cayman is truly a wonderful place for children, especially if they are sporty. There is a huge amount for them to do. Everyone is very friendly And everywhere is extremely child friendly. Schools for the ages of your children are pretty good. You do not need to rush into decisions re housing and schools. I strongly recommend that you wait until you get here and have a look around. There are a number of schools to choose from. You can rent a place by the week (eg, Villas of the Galleon on Seven Mile) while you look for a home. There are plenty of places to rent. I can give you the name of a rental agent who can show you everything available. It would be good for you to get your bearings and a feel for the different part a of the island yourself before renting somewhere ( also you may want to be near the school that you choose.) Accommodation nearly always comes fully furnished.
Health care is excellent, I recommend Dr Robertson at Trincay Medical for your children. He is a British paediatrician.
Your children will live in Tshirts and shorts and swimwear. Shopping options are limited here, so it's a good idea to bring all that kit with you. They won't wear anything else other than school uniform! Decent childrens shoes are hard to come by so bring them eg crocs/sandals and school shoes.
Re crime, Cayman is generally very safe. I have never felt threatened or uncomfortable. Any trouble here is very localized and not in an area you would likely to be. A bigger problem will be reminding your children after they have been here for a while that not everywhere is like Cayman, that although they can do it here they cannot talk to strangers in other countries. You will find that people in shops etc are very friendly to your children and will want to talk to them!
Supermarkets are pretty good, Fosters even sells some Waitrose items! You can get things like marmite and Ready Brek too.
I think your family will have an amazing time here. It is a very special place. My children haven't had a cold for two years and the only time any of us have been sick was when we left the island! When you and your children are swimming in the Caribbean sea in February and it is cold raining and miserable in Britain you will know you have made the right decision!
I am happy to answer any the other questions you