Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Cayman Islands
Reload this Page >

Police Record / Work Permit (HELP!!)

Police Record / Work Permit (HELP!!)

Old Mar 5th 2021, 8:45 pm
Just Joined

LUKUK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Police Record / Work Permit (HELP!!)

Hi,

My partner has been offered a job in the Cayman Islands which is very exciting. We have our flights booked and have started the visa process however our police records have just come back and there are a few things on mine which is worrying me.

Back when I was only 17 I was caught with a small amount of cannabis and ecstasy on me, it was minimal and I was clearly just young and dumb. It is marked as a reprimand and no further action was taken. It should have been stepped down however (again, stupidly) I didn't have a ticket on a train so that meant the timer started again for the first offence before it gets stepped down.

Both of these were purely down to being young and stupid, the first offence is over 15 years ago and the train ticket over 10 years ago. These offences are by no means a true representation of who I am today or who I have been in my entire adult life. In terms of character I try and do my bit of good, I'm respected within my role and by senior management and I wouldn't have a problem getting multiple character references to reflect this.

I want to know if anyone has had similar experiences and how likely it is that my silly past is going to ruin this incredibly exciting opportunity for our family? In case it makes a difference, I'm not going to be seeking work in Cayman. I work remotely for my UK employer.

Any help and advice will be hugely appreciated.
Old Mar 5th 2021, 9:38 pm
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Police Record / Work Permit (HELP!!)

Originally Posted by LUKUK View Post
Hi,

My partner has been offered a job in the Cayman Islands which is very exciting. We have our flights booked and have started the visa process however our police records have just come back and there are a few things on mine which is worrying me.

Back when I was only 17 I was caught with a small amount of cannabis and ecstasy on me, it was minimal and I was clearly just young and dumb. It is marked as a reprimand and no further action was taken. It should have been stepped down however (again, stupidly) I didn't have a ticket on a train so that meant the timer started again for the first offence before it gets stepped down.

Both of these were purely down to being young and stupid, the first offence is over 15 years ago and the train ticket over 10 years ago. These offences are by no means a true representation of who I am today or who I have been in my entire adult life. In terms of character I try and do my bit of good, I'm respected within my role and by senior management and I wouldn't have a problem getting multiple character references to reflect this.

I want to know if anyone has had similar experiences and how likely it is that my silly past is going to ruin this incredibly exciting opportunity for our family? In case it makes a difference, I'm not going to be seeking work in Cayman. I work remotely for my UK employer.

The first thing you must understand is that immigration know everything. Countries share all offenders info, and when immigration scan your passport there’s a good chance you will be flagged up for anything you have done.

So - never lie, and if in doubt ask them before you visit. Sometimes it’s a non issue and some times you have to apply for an exemption and sometimes you are simply inadmissible fullstop.

Its no good telling us about mitigations and frankly its no good telling immigration either, they will follow their rules.

What’s on the form is also online efffectively.

Last edited by uk_grenada; Mar 5th 2021 at 9:46 pm.
Old Mar 5th 2021, 9:44 pm
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

I dont know about cayman but in Grenada you are inadmissible if you spent more than a year in prison , and you may be grilled if they see drugs in your history and the decision is down to the immigration officer and may be influenced by your demeanour etc...
Old Mar 5th 2021, 10:59 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LUKUK View Post
Hi,

You also have to realise that convictions are never LOST, in the UK they may disappear from your record of 'active' offences but will always be there, and a police check will state 'No Live Trace,' this means that there is something in the background, you could, of course, get the court records around each case, and then you would have them ready if they did need them, might save some time.
Old Mar 5th 2021, 11:07 pm
Just Joined

LUKUK is an unknown quantity at this point

**EDIT**

I understand that everything has to be disclosed and I understand that my record will still show a history. I am obviously going to disclose everything as everything shows on the police report regardless. I wanted to know if anyone has been in a similar situation and had their visa accepted?
Old Mar 6th 2021, 3:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

I have lived in Cayman for forty-odd years, but don't know anything about your problem. I'm sorry for you, and wish you well, but I have nothing to add to uk_grenada's advice excellent advice. You'll just have to ask ahead of time.