Cayman Islands Cost Of Living

Old Mar 14th 2013, 10:20 am
Just Joined

Rembrandt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cayman Islands Cost Of Living

Hi everyone, new member here.

I've had a look on CaymanNewResident but it's a long read and really only caters for a couple or a family.

Can someone provide an idiot brief guide to the cost of living for a single male aged 22?

I'm moving out in five weeks, salary is USD $75,000 and I'm looking to share a place rather than rent by myself.

In terms of what I'm like now, I don't spend all my money on clothe and gadgets and I'm into a simple life of socializing (Football, beers, swimming etc) so I don't spend much money outside of bills and socializing. (obviously some people buy new clothes every month and a new ipad every time they are released etc).

How comfortable do you think I can be on that salary? also, health insurance is a big one i'm not sure of the cost of.

Any help would be fantastic guys.
Old Mar 14th 2013, 7:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cayman Islands Cost Of Living

Your salary will be more than enough; you will be able to save a fair slice of it, if you want - maybe 30-40% of it, if you live carefully (although at 22, who does?). Your employer has to pay 50% of your health insurance; don't worry about it. Good second-hand cars are available for $4-5000 (that's US$5-6000) - RHD or LHD, at your option.

You can check out my blog if you want to learn a bit about the Island (its politics, social stresses, etc), but, really, it doesn't matter. Once you're here you'll find that it's a very comfortable life. I did the same thing long ago when I was in my 20s, in the Nassau tax-haven, and thought I'd died and gone to heaven.
Old Mar 14th 2013, 7:12 pm
Just Joined

Rembrandt is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
Your salary will be more than enough; you will be able to save a fair slice of it, if you want - maybe 30-40% of it, if you live carefully (although at 22, who does?). Your employer has to pay 50% of your health insurance; don't worry about it. Good second-hand cars are available for $4-5000 (that's US$5-6000) - RHD or LHD, at your option.

You can check out my blog if you want to learn a bit about the Island (its politics, social stresses, etc), but, really, it doesn't matter. Once you're here you'll find that it's a very comfortable life. I did the same thing long ago when I was in my 20s, in the Nassau tax-haven, and thought I'd died and gone to heaven.
Cheers for that. Really assured me! What sort of start up costs do you think ill need? Also, do employers normally cover flights to the island?
Old Mar 14th 2013, 7:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Start-up until your first pay-cheque, including car, and sharing accommodation, maybe $7000 of our dollars, which are worth US$1.20 each. Flights from UK are normally paid by employers. They also usually put overseas recruits in a hotel for a few days to let you find your own accommodation. But your employers are in a position to tell you all this; and they have no reason to bullshit you. Give your contact a ring.