Areas to live

Old Oct 14th 2015, 5:32 pm
Just Joined

Karenlou is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Areas to live

Hi all,
I'm moving over in a few weeks, been around the forum for a while but first time post!
I'm looking at properties to rent but am unsure on the areas to look at and wondered if anyone could point me in the right direction. I'll be on my own so safety is a big consideration.
Any other tips/advice would be great fully received.

Many thanks
Karen
Old Oct 14th 2015, 5:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Areas to live

Karen. More information needed. Normally, your employer would put you up in a hotel for a week or two, to let you find a place to live. Is yours not doing that?

Secondly: where are you coming from and where else have you been. There are a few small slums here, but no large ones like there are in Durban, or Shanghai, or Birmingham! In other words: what level of safety do you require?

Thirdly: how much are you willing to spend on rent? And, would you be buying a car, or walking everywhere?
Old Oct 14th 2015, 6:18 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the speedy reply Gordon.
I'll be staying in a hotel for a week or longer, depending on how long it takes to find somewhere to rent, but I've been getting an idea of what's available. I'm coming from Sheffield, travelled (but not worked) quite abit around the Caribbean, not on my own though.
Looking at around 2000ci max to spend, will need a car, like my independence too much!
Old Oct 15th 2015, 7:58 am
Forum Regular

ABCR is an unknown quantity at this point

Where abouts on the island will you be working?
Old Oct 15th 2015, 1:57 pm
Just Joined

I'll be working in the Prospect area.
Old Oct 16th 2015, 4:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Karenlou
I'll be working in the Prospect area.
If I were in your shoes, I would rent some place near to where you work - a school, I'm guessing, since there aren't many jobs in the Prospect area! At first, I would share with another teacher; you'll probably meet some in your hotel. There are plenty of flats and houses available for rent within say five miles of your workplace. I'd go for a flat, at the beginning. Savannah is safe for a single girl; in Prospect itself, it depends on the street.

You'll need to bring 5000 or 6000 pounds with you to cover the first and last months' rent, and the price of a car, and deposits on this, that and the other. Your employer has probably told you that already. Have you checked the online magazine "Cayman New Resident"? It's an excellent storehouse of information.
Old Oct 21st 2015, 8:17 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the great advice, have narrowed my search accordingly.
I have read the new resident, your blog and lots of other information. I'm excited to be coming to such a beautiful island.