Work Permit woes

Old Mar 3rd 2009, 8:05 pm
Just Joined

tinartist is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Work Permit woes

Hi all,

I'm currently in Tortola, BVI with my boyfriend who has a job here. His contract was initially for 3 months but they have offered him a more permanent position. The trouble is, how can I find work here, when as a visitor it is illegal for me to seek work!?

I really don't want him to have to turn down this job as it's a great career move for him. We have been together for 6 years so we can't imagine him staying without me. I can't believe how difficult it is to get a work permit here. I hoped that being a British citizen would be in my favour as we are in a British territory, but it doesn't count for anything.

Back in the UK I was a graphic designer, but I'm also a fine artist. I could probably get by selling my paintings through the internet, but this would only help me financially, not to be able to stay in the BVI.

Can anyone advise? Would it be possible for me to stay here if I could prove that I wasn't making money on the Island? Can I get in using a 'dependant' status even if we aren't a married couple? Would it make a difference if we were engaged to be married?

Sorry for the 20 questions! If anyone can offer any words of advice it would be much appreciated. I left a good job and flat in London to come out here and I'm not ready to go back yet!

Many thanks,

Tina
Old Mar 4th 2009, 1:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Foxy_fromCanada is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Work Permit woes

Hi there,

I can't speak specifically to Tortola, but in most countries you need to be married in order to qualify as a dependent - they don't care if you are engaged or if you've been together forever, they want to see a piece of paper.

Good luck to you,
Fox