Transferring money to UK

Old May 16th 2009, 4:42 pm
Just Joined

hornet is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Transferring money to UK

Hi,

I'm moving to Cayman Islands in a couple of months but will still have a few outgoings in the UK. Can anyone give me advice on the best/cheapest way to transfer money regularly back home?

I bank with Barclays in the UK and went in to my local branch today but they were useless as they knew nothing about international banking and couldn't even tell me if they had a branch in the Cayman Islands.

Any advice you could give me would be appreciated.
Old May 18th 2009, 9:57 am

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Transferring money to UK

Originally Posted by hornet
Hi,

I'm moving to Cayman Islands in a couple of months but will still have a few outgoings in the UK. Can anyone give me advice on the best/cheapest way to transfer money regularly back home?

I bank with Barclays in the UK and went in to my local branch today but they were useless as they knew nothing about international banking and couldn't even tell me if they had a branch in the Cayman Islands.

Any advice you could give me would be appreciated.
Try First Caribbean International bank, I have transferred money using them.
Old May 19th 2009, 3:07 pm
Forum Regular

Caymanite is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Transferring money to UK

I generally just buy a bank draft from my bank here in Cayman & mail it home, takes about 1 week to get there & my Mum just pays it in for me. Relatively inexpensive way to do it & safe since the draft is in my name, if it goes missing you can just cancel it, someone would have to have the same name to cash it........but none have ever gone missing.

If it is an emergency you could use a money transfer place like Western Union but I think the fee is 10% of what you are sending.......