Tobago advice please

Old Apr 10th 2008, 2:17 pm
Account Closed

El Capitan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tobago advice please

Hi, we were jsut considering nipping over to Tobago for a quick break as we love the place so much but I read somewhere that there have been some big storms recently which have closed some beach accesses and even destroyed some beachside bars and eating places. Anybody got any news if this is correct and how bad things are?
Old Apr 17th 2008, 7:38 pm
Just Joined

Shahdeikh Khan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Tobago advice please

Originally Posted by El Capitan
Hi, we were jsut considering nipping over to Tobago for a quick break as we love the place so much but I read somewhere that there have been some big storms recently which have closed some beach accesses and even destroyed some beachside bars and eating places. Anybody got any news if this is correct and how bad things are?
Ahoy Matey!

Storm in a teacup with only minimal damage. One lady who had built a little too close to the sea lost a deck near Black Rock. If a beach had been closed it was either because of Turtles, a beach party or simple exaggeration. As you should know there is never a shortage of alcohol or food on the island, especially if you like weak beer, pigstails or chickens foot.
Old Apr 18th 2008, 9:22 am
Account Closed

Thanks SK, I read somewhere that beach access from Grafton Beach resort was closed and the beach-side restaurant was wrecked after 4 metre waves earlier this year. Glad to hear it is not as bad as that.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 12:39 pm
Just Joined

mutiny is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Tobago advice please

Hi El Capitan,

You are in fact absolutely right. Grafton Beach bar is closed pending renovations. Over the Easter weekend their was a significant "winter storm" that sent very large seas as far south as Tobago, making the north shore dangerous for bathing. However the chief lifeguard (come singing entertainer Michael Baker) decided to close most beaches for 4-5 days, I actually applaud his efforts, because it shows the island is developing, in years past they would of done nothing and someone might of been up ended and fractured their neck in the surf and swells.

Four or five powerful atlantic storms on average do send swells thousands of miles down towards the caribbean each year. Looking at it from the shore can be entertaining (even appear as a teacup!), but not so funny if you own a boat, when you have to rush to relocate your boat as one accomplished sailing British expat did this year. He did make the front page of the Trinidad Express though.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 12:45 pm
Account Closed

Thanks for that Mutiny. Tobago is usually considered to be well South of the Hurricane belt so it was a surprise to read of the beach getting hit this way. We are thinking again to pop over in next few weeks for a break but maybe not worth spending a supplement for beachside room.
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 12:24 pm
Just Joined

Hi El Capitan,

You might know as a Captain that Tobago is 11 degrees north of the equator. Hurricanes cannot form 10 degrees north or south of the equator because of corresoles force (surely mis-spelt). Trinidad has never had a hurricane since colonial records began. Tobago had its last official hurricane FLORA in september 1963. However IVAN that was primarily known for completely wiping out Grenada and other places, first killed two in Tobago as it brushed Tobago just 20 miles north as it passed (a direct hit was forcasted), and our benelovent Prime Minister(yuk) went on TV non-stop saying he was praying for us!!. We received category 1-2 type winds , but the eye passed to the north.

The hurricane season (and rainy season) doesn't start until June 1st, and at that time general wind and sea conditions are very flat (the north-east trades have gone). So a beach cottage might be ideal and a good look at the forecast!

Most tourists are blissfully unaware..............
Old Apr 24th 2008, 1:31 pm
Account Closed

Indeed thanks for that mutiny. Yes I am familiar with the zoning of the atmosphere and the consequent Hadley cells north and south of the equator and hence the rarity of hurricanes around Trinidad and Tobago. However, climate change is disturbing our atmosphere and creating more rare and extreme events. No flights yet booked but it is quite possible that we may be snorkelling off one or more beaches of Tobago sometime in June. No time to cross the pond and drop anchor there this year but maybe one day.
Old Apr 25th 2008, 3:18 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: Tobago advice please

Hi El Capitan,

My last crossing was 18.5 days (Tenerife to Barbados) and that was 15 years ago and I am still here! Now I do it straight to London with a "virgin" hostess in 8 hours non-stop! How times have changed!!
Old Apr 28th 2008, 10:30 am
Account Closed

Great minds mutiny, was thinking about riding a virgin across again this time. It has been a long time since an 8 hour ride.
Old Apr 28th 2008, 12:58 pm
Just Joined

Hi El Capitan,

Richard Branson's fleet, and vast experience allows us punters to enjoy a lot less bumpier a ride than you get in the pond these days (especially after June 1st) albeit at 36,000 ft.
Am I straying from the subject in hand! Next time you are here, we can meet up for some salty sea dog and T.R.S. near miss stories and grog no doubt. In 1995 I just left St Maarten when category 5 "Lenny" blew north over me and wiped out the island, only to find "Marilyn" came flying over my poop deck the afternoon I outhauled in Trinidad. Safe on land nowdays. my address is [email protected]
Old Apr 30th 2008, 10:50 am
Account Closed

Thanks for the offer mutiny, dont have many near miss stories myself but I do recall the short crossing to cherbourg one night from Portsmouth at a minimum 7.4 knots and up to 8.6. Creaming all night with 2 slabs was rather enjoyable. Cruising more relaxed waters these days further south.
Old Apr 30th 2008, 11:28 am
Just Joined

El Capitan,

I assume you had a fairly modest waterline for those speeds at the time! In latter years as the boats below me got larger (and the pay did too) that would be an afternoon cruise with the owner onboard not wanting any chop (unless it came from the galley!)

I had a similar experience crossing from Brittany to Plymouth over night in a Sigma 36, lovely english summers day (full heavy weather Henri Lloyd). On the healm at 2am but plugged into Diana Ross and Motown on the walkman and singing along full blast. Now she comes to Tobago in a private jet and charges US$120 a ticket like last weekend at the Tobago Jazz festival. Referred the former experience!!
Old Apr 30th 2008, 11:58 am
Account Closed

Indeed a modest waterline mutiny, a 35 mark one Warrior moulded in 1966 by Morgan Giles. My neighbours with their modern volume boats often comment on the sweetness of her lines and she goes well for an oldun. Used to race a little Sigma until the fateful "fastnet" year when yours truly got tossed overboard from the foredeck in a broach cum capsize. Decided sailing was for enjoying after that and gave up racing.
Old May 1st 2008, 11:37 am
Just Joined

Hi El Capitan,

I concur with your thoughts. After crewing a few regattas in the south west of the Uk at aged 18 and then being invited to crew a 55 footer out of Puerto Banus down to Gib, with all the toys onboard for comparison. It was very traditionally run.....Pims at 11am, G&T's from 2pm...very modest passage times on our lazy way down to Gib to restock on fuel and duty free alcohol (by the box). I decided that cruising was a lot more enjoyable than racing. Sailing in the UK....is only for the mad and deranged when the med and the caribbean are alternatives. There are differences between both places ......you have to like Rum here, and ouzo, raki, sangria etc, etc on the other side of the pond. Having a "real job" was completely unacceptable after that!!