Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean
Reload this Page >

Spending the Winter in the Carribbean

Spending the Winter in the Carribbean

Old Apr 12th 2015, 12:02 am
Just Joined

Haven Gazz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spending the Winter in the Carribbean

Hi Everyone

Could anyone help with advice on how long you can stay on the Caribbean Islands for at any particular time? Would we need Visas? And any other legal issues there maybe

We are looking to retire in a few years and would like to buy a holiday home somewhere in the Caribbean (possibly Cayman or Barbados) where we can spend our winters then fly back to England for our summer here.

Preferably we would like to fly out in November time and come back in March

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance Gazz
Old Apr 12th 2015, 3:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spending the Winter in the Carribbean

Gazz. I think it's a month in Cayman, and once you buy property here it's six months. Google "New Resident Cayman", which is an online magazine that has all the answers. No visa required.

I guess you already know that Cayman is an expensive place to live, and I have an idea Barbados is too. There are cheaper islands. In your shoes I would spend a few weeks in each of Grenada, BVI, St Lucia, and Turks (Provo), or one of the Bahamian Out-islands. Or one of the cays of Belize. I remember Grenada with great fondness, but it's a personal thing. Martinique, maybe, if you speak French and don't mind living in France.

If you're ever serious about Cayman, some of my blog-posts will give you the flavour of life here.
Old Apr 13th 2015, 2:37 am
Just Joined

Haven Gazz is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Gordon i will take a look at that
Old Apr 16th 2015, 11:58 am
BE Enthusiast

anuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud of

Grand Cayman is not cheap. It is in some ways more expensive than Manhattan. Spend on winter renting before deciding to buy.
Old Apr 16th 2015, 4:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anuny
Grand Cayman is not cheap. It is in some ways more expensive than Manhattan. Spend on winter renting before deciding to buy.
Nobody should ever, ever, EVER, buy without have spent some months in a place first. It's a buyers' market here at the moment, which means it's also a renters' market. As with most tourist resorts, Cayman is an expensive place to live if you spend a lot of time in bars and restaurants. For us, the most expensive item is health insurance (we're both over 70), which costs us US$10,000 a year.