Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean
Reload this Page >

Some questions from a newbie.

Some questions from a newbie.

Old Feb 3rd 2008, 12:32 pm
Jeff, god of biscuits

Ems_8674 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Some questions from a newbie.

Hello, I just joined. I'm still a UK citizen and resident but when I graduate in June I hope to move away. I'm also looking into Europe, as ease of finding work is a definite issue, but I'm also very concerned about identity card issues in Europe. Where do Caribbean countries stand on the issue? Also, how about the ease of just being allowed residency? I've holidayed a lot in Barbados and love it there, but don't know that much about many other islands; obviously it must vary. The general impression is of course that the Caribbean is much more "laid back"; what do you think? This forum seems great and I'll continue to read other threads but if anyone has any info/advice for me I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 12:43 pm

username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Some questions from a newbie.

Originally Posted by Ems_8674
Hello, I just joined. I'm still a UK citizen and resident but when I graduate in June I hope to move away. I'm also looking into Europe, as ease of finding work is a definite issue, but I'm also very concerned about identity card issues in Europe. Where do Caribbean countries stand on the issue? Also, how about the ease of just being allowed residency? I've holidayed a lot in Barbados and love it there, but don't know that much about many other islands; obviously it must vary. The general impression is of course that the Caribbean is much more "laid back"; what do you think? This forum seems great and I'll continue to read other threads but if anyone has any info/advice for me I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

as a UK citizen you cannot just pitch up in the Caribbean and live there. There are strict visa and immigration procedures and you must fit into those catagories to live out here on one of the islands.

Theres 3 main kinds:
work visa - which then gets you Residency and if you stay long enough citizenship if you still qualify

investment - each country differs, but if you're starting a business and have cash to input into the country

Family eligibility - married to etc etc.

As I tell everyone, dont just turn up here and overstay illegally - if you get caught you dont want the repercussions, its not worth it.
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 12:52 pm
Jeff, god of biscuits

Ha, no, don't worry, I know that I'd have to find work before coming over to live. It's just that obviously I want to find out more about the countries before looking for a job there.
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 12:58 pm

username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ems_8674
Ha, no, don't worry, I know that I'd have to find work before coming over to live. It's just that obviously I want to find out more about the countries before looking for a job there.
well they're all so very differnt.

Barbados obviously you know, here where I am in the Grenadines is almost totally underdeveloped in Western Standards, much more basic Caribbean. St Lucia is a great halfway between us and Barbados in terms of development and is visually stunning - its where we're going.

Antigua develpment wise is probably on a par with SLU but landscapewise is like Barbados - fairly flat.

St Kitts and Nevis are lovely, hilly and lush and fairly small. I love Anguilla also but its very small.

it really depends on what you want out of where you will go. If you want a faster pace of life, good shopping, bars, nightlife, good social life with 20 somethings then Babrabdos is for you. Its very british.

If you're more into the total Caribbean lifestyle then other islands will be for you, slower, visually much nicer, but obviously dont offer the variety of jobs, social scene, shopping etc etc.

I love the smaller quieter Caribbean personally but totally understand why people want Barbados instead, you have many of the standards and lifestyle choices that the UK has just in the sun with a Caribbean flavour.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 11:48 am
Forum Regular

Bajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really nice

What are your concerns regarding the proposed identity cards that would make you want to leave Europe?

Most Caribbean countries have id cards and you can be asked to produce them by the police, although it is not mandatory to carry them (at least not in Barbados). Usually if you get stopped (say for a traffic offence) and do not have your license with you, you will be given 24 hours to produce it at a police station.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 9:14 pm
Jeff, god of biscuits

Are the ID cards biometric, though? My main concern with the proposed scheme in the UK is the National Identity Register and centralised database of information. Loss of privacy, of civil liberties, information being shared and possibly falling into the wrong hands/being used wrongly by future governments, etc.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 9:28 pm
Forum Regular

Bajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really nice

No, not biometric. A simple plastic card.

I for one am in favour of the biometric cards. Seems to me that only criminals should have anything to fear from a little bit of government control that makes life safer for the majority. I would gladly give up a little bit of privacy and civil liberty to life in a safer place.

John
Old Feb 5th 2008, 11:26 pm
Jeff, god of biscuits

I don't want to derail the thread because this sort of discussion isn't what this forum is for, but have you considered the fact that the biometric information on ID cards will also be stored on the National Identity Register, in a centralised database along with a lot of other information about you (when I say you, I'm talking for the moment about UK residents but really about anyone with a biometric ID card)? This means that the government has access to a lot of information about you. The government says it wants to fight crime and prevent terrorism, sure. I have severe doubts about their real motivations but for argument's sake let's say they're honorable. What about the next government? And the one after that? How do you know they're going to use that information to help you and not against you? You can't say because you don't know who they are yet and yet they will have your information. What's more, storing information on one giant database is not at all secure and makes it easier for someone to steal your identity. The idea that if you've done nothing wrong you've nothing to fear is government propaganda. This article sums it up quite nicely: http://tech.uk.msn.com/features/arti...mentid=7317132 Please visit No2ID.net for more information about this.
Old Feb 6th 2008, 4:58 am
Forum Regular

OK. This is something we can debate in depth next time you are in Barbados over a few drinks in Mojo. . Other than that, I hope you manage to find a way to find your way here.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 5:27 pm
Whatacomplete Member

koogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond repute

Got to say, I'm with John on this one.
Put a GPS chip in my head and a CCTV camera on every corner.
I'm no expert on this subject but, what do you mean by a government using your information against you? I know one bloke I worked with when I was back in England who was convinced that speed cameras were not to catch people speeding but rather to track his movements around the UK. Personally, I consider being mugged or stabbed quite an affront to my civil liberties and if bio-cards/CCTV cameras/armed police/pink mascara/whatever could reduce the risk of this in any way, I'm all for it
Sorry for continuing the 'off track' thing EMS.

Last edited by koogar; Feb 12th 2008 at 5:29 pm.