Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean
Reload this Page >

ready to make the move Don't know how!!!!

ready to make the move Don't know how!!!!

Old Nov 4th 2009, 9:08 am
TLC
Just Joined

TLC is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ready to make the move Don't know how!!!!

Hi All

I’m new to the site and hoped somebody - anybody could help!!!!!! My Husband and I are hoping to move to the Caribbean possibily Cayman or Turks and Caicos, and would like to secure jobs prior to leaving and can’t find anything on the web have searched and searched.... My background is marketing and product development my Husband is a welding engineer as well as a CNC programmer although we have both worked in hospitality for years whilst travelling and loved it... Any info on the best islands or where to start would be great.:
Old Nov 4th 2009, 2:36 pm

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ready to make the move Don't know how!!!!

Originally Posted by TLC
Hi All

I’m new to the site and hoped somebody - anybody could help!!!!!! My Husband and I are hoping to move to the Caribbean possibily Cayman or Turks and Caicos, and would like to secure jobs prior to leaving and can’t find anything on the web have searched and searched.... My background is marketing and product development my Husband is a welding engineer as well as a CNC programmer although we have both worked in hospitality for years whilst travelling and loved it... Any info on the best islands or where to start would be great.:
To be honest I have found the best place to be is actually in the Caribbean, there is only so much info you get off the net. Can you guys get over to one of your prefered islands and gather first hand info off the ground. A lot of stuff is word of mouth in the Caribbean.

I have come across this website but have not personally used their service.
http://www.caribbeanjobs.com/

Last edited by pgtips; Nov 4th 2009 at 2:45 pm.
Old Nov 5th 2009, 12:15 pm
TLC
Just Joined

TLC is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks’ PGtips, You are soooo right ,We have travelled loads and just up and gone , However we have been home for about 9 years and you forget how easy it is once your overseas to get along when you’ve been suffocated in the UK for so long!!!! Will check out the site you suggested.... Where are you living??
Old Nov 5th 2009, 4:08 pm

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TLC
Thanks’ PGtips, You are soooo right ,We have travelled loads and just up and gone , However we have been home for about 9 years and you forget how easy it is once your overseas to get along when you’ve been suffocated in the UK for so long!!!! Will check out the site you suggested.... Where are you living??
I am currently in the Uk, but once I have tied up things I will be based in St lucia.
Old Nov 7th 2009, 1:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

Employers just aren't advertising any jobs at the moment as there aren't any!! Many companies in Cayman have closed down whole departments or if they have offices overseas, work has been reallocated there so you wont find jobs being advertised on the net. Also the cost of work permits is increasing to raise tax revenue. It's not all bad though, but the recession is everywhere!
As pgtops said, it really is being there and meeting people and directly targeting companies. Contact the recruitment agencies and try and temp for 6 months that way you get to meet employers and then get hired by them. Try CML or Infinity for Cayman. Marketing jobs are almost non existent here for expats - 2 women in my office were in marketing and turned to finance as that's the main employer here.
I'm trying to get to the US (notoriously difficult to immigrate to) and I go up every month, targeting specific companies and networking to try to get in. (So far been offered 7 positions, but cant get the work visas)
I share your pain - I need to move but most companies are finding that they can employ local people who dont need a permit.
It's also an ethical decision, as well as legal, as they have to ensure that no local person is available to do the job so they can apply for a permit. And we all know that this just isn't true right now with so many people out of work.

Good luck - get on the phone..