Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean
Reload this Page >

A Potential Move ouzo Nassau

A Potential Move ouzo Nassau

Old Nov 18th 2013, 6:55 pm
Just Joined

natalienoo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A Potential Move ouzo Nassau

Hello all,

I've seen a couple of moving threads related to Nassau, but I didn't want to barge in on someone else's sunshine, so to speak.

As the The BE community helped me so much 3 years ago whilst we were looking at moving to Barbados, I've come back for your help.

There is a chance that my husband and I will move to Nassau, Bahamas in the summer of 2014. I've been trawling the internet looking for some balanced advice but with varying success. If anyone can help out with any of my initial queries I would be greatly appreciative.

- Safety? The general consensus I am getting is that things are getting progressively more dangerous but it's a case of knowing your surroundings and keeping your eyes open.

- Price? Hugely expensive due to import taxes, etc - but would anyone know how this would compare to Barbados? My feeling is that the two are similar.

- Job ops? My husband would have a secured job, but of course I wouldn't. I'm a qualified marine biologist but have experience in a variety of things. Is there much conservation in Nassau, or does it tend to be concentrated on other islands? I was looking at the Marine Mammal Conservation Organisation but have no idea where it is based? I understand that it is both very difficult and expensive to get a work permit out there, and that a company has to fund this for you.

Any insight into these thoughts?

Many thanks!

Last edited by natalienoo; Nov 18th 2013 at 6:57 pm. Reason: Atrocious spelling due to the use of an iPad.