Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean
Reload this Page >

The old codgers' thread - Caribbean

The old codgers' thread - Caribbean

Old May 4th 2021, 6:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute
Default The old codgers' thread - Caribbean

There are two preoccupations all old codgers have and love. First, marvelling at how things have changed since we were young; second, reminiscing about the things we did when we were young. This thread is for us.

Since we British Expats came to live in the Caribbean, our island-homes have changed – not much for recent immigrants, but hugely for old-timers. When my wife and I came to Cayman, the population was 15,000 – and now it’s four times that. Our son was two and is now 45, with three Norwegian children. We used to phone our mothers in Australia for $2.49 a minute (or was it $2.49 for three minutes?), now I can phone around the world for free on WhatsApp.

I had the foresight to record my personal thoughts and reminiscences on an online journal that I wrote between 2010 and 2016. It can serve as my obituary, at least for my grandchildren; they’re not interested in it yet, but maybe one day… My wife wrote her own obit (she died in 2019), but it was a two-page summary, and that’s way too brief. What about all the travels she and I shared before we settled down? I gave up on travelling at that point, but she never did. She left thousands of photos behind, but very few words. She got that wrong, I think.

This thread is not intended as a series of summaries of old codgers’ lives, but as a sort of prompt. Let’s see how it goes.
Old May 4th 2021, 9:11 pm
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The old codgers' thread - Caribbean

Gosh Gordon, i'm not so sure, maybe, codgerdom - i definitely get it, and i have been seen occasionally to engage, but for me there are impediments.

1, My career is in IT. There is only one constant in IT, and thats change. I was hugely lucky in my career [or made that luck?] so i have mostly been at the bleeding edge and have reinvented/relearned new tech many many times. It has got to the stage where the actual tech is irrelevant to me, its about how its implemented and managed, my job is to make IT disappear so nobody has to consider or worry about it. Yes it amuses occasionally that my memory stick is 50 thousand times bigger than the entire memory of my first PC and that was 50 times bigger than my first machine, but its far too techy to amuse anyone else. I actually know how my iphone really works and how bogglingly complex it really is, but same - who cares. SO - old stuff, new stuff, same stuff different day.

2, Its said you are as old as the woman you feel. Well lets just say i'm pretty young at heart in that direction, and this remains a pleasant revelation of life, i'm actually more than i was at half my current age. I am more about current things than most people my physical age i suspect.

3, - My personal codger statement? Yes some things get easier, like whatsapp. I tell my lights to turn on, i never watch TV just download any movies or tv series i like, but this is ephemeral. How we live is far more about people. Eventually most hardware will disappear, we can expect to not have to use physical devices like phones much longer. We wont be driving cars ourselves in 10? years BUT we are the top few %, in Africa i suspect things wont be better, worse? Covid 22 will probably sort out the population numbers, maybe if we survive this is a good thing? Many may engage more in virtual worlds as they become more pervasive? Better than life? [This is actually a real sci fi book]