Networking for Jobs

Old Dec 21st 2007, 10:18 am
Just Joined

Dragonflies is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Networking for Jobs

That's it! We have had enough and finally after 14 years of dithering my husband and I are looking to move to the caribbean. His background is engineering, refrigeration, air conditioning, electrical and mechanical and he is currently Operations Manager for a company in the UK.

I was just wondering if anyone has any suugestions as to where would be the best place to start looking for positions? Obviously we are looking at sites such as jobs on-line but wondered if anyone knew of any other ideas?

Many thanks in advance.

Old Dec 21st 2007, 10:32 am
Banned

aquarterpounderwithcheese has a brilliant futureaquarterpounderwithcheese has a brilliant futureaquarterpounderwithcheese has a brilliant futureaquarterpounderwithcheese has a brilliant futureaquarterpounderwithcheese has a brilliant futureaquarterpounderwithcheese has a brilliant future
Default Re: Networking for Jobs

see personal message.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 2:51 am
Just Joined

Bermuda Wolf is an unknown quantity at this point

One piece of advice (which may seem dumb, but I have met many people who did not do this) is to visit the island (for a week if possible). Any good firm would pay for you to come out and look at them and the island. They want to see if they like you, and you need to see if you like them. Check with the locals if they have a high turnover in expats, if so beware.

As for being there for the week it will give you chance to:-

1) check you like the culture
2) give you chance to see the costs of living, epecially the cost of renting and the level of accommodation
3) see how friendly/useful the company you are looking to work for. If it does not work out with them whe you work there, they may not be too helpful in helping you get another job in "their country" by giving the relevant job reference from them in the end
4) check the health/hospital facilities, especially if you have any health issues now

As for sites, apart from the ususal agaencies, your husband could approach some companies/suppliers in Miami for contacts throughout the Caribbean, as a lot of companies purchase from the States.

If you are looking at the Bahamas, I have a lot of experience, and I work in the construction industry.

One last piece of advice is for both of you to get work, because the sun and sand can get boring ifor the one not working

Good luck, but its not all just sun and sand, but it can be good fun

BW
Old Jan 8th 2008, 9:09 pm
Forum Regular

WHISKYSPRITE is an unknown quantity at this point

hi there, my wife and i are looking into moving over there, i have a property maintenance business here in UK , just wondering what the best course of action would be, are there many job vacancies in the construction game? i have also done some scaffolding in the past, and is it tough getting visas? My wife has a salon doing beauty/massage therapy but think she is wanting a change of carreer if we settled over there. We were originally thinking of moving to Canada but the wife is a sun lover so probably not the best choice of destination!! Thanks for any help. Rob
Old Jan 8th 2008, 10:07 pm
Just Joined

Bermuda Wolf is an unknown quantity at this point

Best to come over and have a holiday. Whilst you are here visit the various building sites and talk to people to discuss what you can do and what they can offer you.

You may need a degree level of education or you have to have some experience that is not bundant in the country.

Note if you come to the Bahamas you cannot be coming looking for employment. If you tell the immigration officer that, you will be flying back home.

BW
Old Jan 10th 2008, 8:24 am
Forum Regular

WHISKYSPRITE is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bermuda Wolf
Best to come over and have a holiday. Whilst you are here visit the various building sites and talk to people to discuss what you can do and what they can offer you.

You may need a degree level of education or you have to have some experience that is not bundant in the country.

Note if you come to the Bahamas you cannot be coming looking for employment. If you tell the immigration officer that, you will be flying back home.

BW
thanks for your reply bermuda wolf,do you think there is any chance of us moving to the bahamas,cheers Rob