Moving to St Lucia

Old Nov 26th 2007, 4:36 pm
Just Joined

Estelle J is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Moving to St Lucia

Hi there

I'm considering moving to St Lucia next February as i'm getting married to a St Lucian. Fed up with the lifestyle here. Understand that life can also be difficult in "paradise" . My main concern is finding a job. I will be living in Gros Islet. Been on search engines trying to find jobs in St Lucia but with no luck. Does anybody know how it works? Are there such things as employment agencies? I have been told that i will need to obtain a work permit before i become a St Lucian citizen. If anybody can help me or point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated.

Estelle J
Old Nov 27th 2007, 7:06 am

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to St Lucia

Originally Posted by Estelle J
Hi there

I'm considering moving to St Lucia next February as i'm getting married to a St Lucian. Fed up with the lifestyle here. Understand that life can also be difficult in "paradise" . My main concern is finding a job. I will be living in Gros Islet. Been on search engines trying to find jobs in St Lucia but with no luck. Does anybody know how it works? Are there such things as employment agencies? I have been told that i will need to obtain a work permit before i become a St Lucian citizen. If anybody can help me or point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated.

Estelle J
Estelle, are you getting married before you move to St Lucia ? This will make a difference whether you are married to a St Lucian citizen or not.
Even if you are married you will have to apply for citizenship and be warned it can take up to a year to sort it all out.

If you are a Caricom national and can prove this you can live and work in St Lucia irrespective of your husband if you have relevant skills.

If not, and you are not yet married you will have to get a job in St Lucia and the employer will have to prove he advertised the job locally without success before employing you. Then they will apply for a work permit for you and you will be able to reside on the island.

Easiest route is entering as a spouse of a St Lucian, bear in mind you will have to pay about 120EC dollars, maybe more, every three months to extend your stay until your citizenship is granted. It will be worth the wait though as you will then have full citizenship rights and can work in any field you please without restriction !!!
Old Nov 27th 2007, 2:03 pm
Just Joined

Estelle J is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for that info. I will be married to a St Lucian Citizen before moving. Do you know the best way of finding jobs over there? I'm going back in January so thought i'd check it out then. Also do you know how easy/difficult it is to get a loan or mortgage in St Lucia? Do i have to be a St Lucian Citizen before i can have a bank account?

Estelle J
Old Nov 27th 2007, 3:11 pm

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that info. I will be married to a St Lucian Citizen before moving. Do you know the best way of finding jobs over there? I'm going back in January so thought i'd check it out then. Also do you know how easy/difficult it is to get a loan or mortgage in St Lucia? Do i have to be a St Lucian Citizen before i can have a bank account?

Estelle J
Estelle, you can start networking when you are next in St lucia as this is sometimes the best way to get a job. Bear in mind you will have to sort work permit out. It is relatively easy to open a bank account even if you are not a citizen. Normally you will have to produce your passport at the bank of your choice for this, again check this out when you are next on island.
You can normally get a mortgage up to about 70% of the purchase cost.

I have a large database of contacts in St Lucia, who sort out mortgages, home purchases and land aquisition, also I know reliable builders which my family have used and produce the goods. I also have a very reliable lawyer who I have personally used for the legal side of things and I would recommend her to anyone as she is extremely thorough and reliable and works for one of the most reputable law firms on the island.

Check out my website http://www.rodneybay.net for more info and helpful links.
Old Nov 28th 2007, 1:34 pm
Forum Regular

Islander Girl is an unknown quantity at this point

Estelle J
Hi, I live on the island, after moving from the UK in July so can help you with some of the things you have mentioned. I also know people who can help you out with a house purchase etc. The job search would be easier once you are here and made some contacts which again I may be able to help you with. What sort of work will you be looking for?
Old Nov 28th 2007, 2:02 pm

Estelle J
Estelle is your husband to be St Lucian by birth or St lucian by descent ? I ask this because it will have a difference to how your citizenship status will be viewed.
Old Nov 28th 2007, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by Islander Girl
Hi, I live on the island, after moving from the UK in July so can help you with some of the things you have mentioned. I also know people who can help you out with a house purchase etc. The job search would be easier once you are here and made some contacts which again I may be able to help you with. What sort of work will you be looking for?
Hi Islandergirl, how's things going ? I have just been offered a cracking property for sale in Beausejour, have you been there lately and if so how are things developing ?
Old Nov 28th 2007, 2:09 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by pgtips
Hi Islandergirl, how's things going ? I have just been offered a cracking property for sale in Beausejour, have you been there lately and if so how are things developing ?
Hi there! oooh tell me more about the property?? Things are going well thanks. How about you?
Old Nov 28th 2007, 2:13 pm

Hi there! oooh tell me more about the property?? Things are going well thanks. How about you?
The property is on a new development with about six different house styles, but at pre construction prices making them very affordable. Lots sixes 5-10,000 sq ft, some with sea view. PM me your e mail and I will send you the pictures I have been sent.
Old Nov 28th 2007, 2:19 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by pgtips
The property is on a new development with about six different house styles, but at pre construction prices making them very affordable. Lots sixes 5-10,000 sq ft, some with sea view. PM me your e mail and I will send you the pictures I have been sent.
I know the ones you mean, they have had a lot of marketing here in local papers etc. Beausejour is going to be the place to live soon as there are a few nice developments going in there, with sensible prices and access is excellent with the new roads they put in for the cricket World Cup.
Old Nov 28th 2007, 2:48 pm

I know the ones you mean, they have had a lot of marketing here in local papers etc. Beausejour is going to be the place to live soon as there are a few nice developments going in there, with sensible prices and access is excellent with the new roads they put in for the cricket World Cup.
My sentiments exactly !!