Moving to St Lucia

Old Aug 31st 2004, 5:35 pm
Forum Regular

brionyj is on a distinguished road
Question Moving to St Lucia

I am hoping to move to St Lucia next year, along with my husband and two kids.
We would love to hear from any other expats living there who could offer advice on anything & everything, from buying & renting property, schools, setting up a business, jobs, shopping (!), making friends etc.
I have found it quite hard to find websites on the subject, as most deal with tourism.
As far as I understand it, we can move & buy property plus set a business, no problem.
I'd be interested in how people find the lifestyle, likes, dislikes etc
Thanks!
Briony
Old Aug 31st 2004, 6:26 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to St Lucia

Originally Posted by brionyj
We would love to hear from any other expats living there who could offer advice on anything & everything, from buying & renting property, schools, setting up a business, jobs, shopping (!), making friends etc.
I have found it quite hard to find websites on the subject, as most deal with tourism.
As far as I understand it, we can move & buy property plus set a business, no problem.
Thanks!
Briony
I'm sure you need a work visa. Unless you're investing a complete and utter obscene amount of cash that is.
Old Sep 1st 2004, 2:36 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks!
Briony
I took a holiday in St. Lucia ten years ago and I found it to be a lovely place to visit. I'm not so sure about living there though but things may have improved since then.

Back in '94, there was really only one tarmac road in the country (it follows the inside perimeter of the island) but St. Lucians are friendly and hospitable.

As for moving there to live and work, you should try contacting the St. Lucia Embassy. If you are British this may not give you any advantages to move and work in St. Lucia legally, even though St. Lucia is a former British colony.

I'd say the Embassy should be able to help you or at least point you in the direction of the government department that handles immigration.

NC Penguin
Old Sep 1st 2004, 5:00 pm
dealing with it

Chopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really nice

I lived in St Lucia for 6 months, I was on contract to the St Lucian government and lived and worked legally.

St Lucia on holiday and St Lucia to live are two completely different things...if you tell me that you've spent a week at 'Sandals' in Castries and now you want to move to the country, I won't even begin to take you seriously.

If you feel you know the country well enough or you have other motivation to live there, I may be able to help you, but to be more specific about helping you, you'll need to answer some questions

1) Where in St Lucia were you planning on living?
2) How do you plan on making a living?
3) Where have you been in St Lucia before now and for how long?
4) What visa do you plan on getting and what stage are you at right now?
5) Do you have family in St Lucia?
Old Sep 1st 2004, 5:02 pm
dealing with it

Chopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really nice

Who told you that?!?!?!

They're living on Planet Dream
Old Sep 1st 2004, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Chopper-Chris
I lived in St Lucia for 6 months, I was on contract to the St Lucian government and lived and worked legally.

St Lucia on holiday and St Lucia to live are two completely different things...if you tell me that you've spent a week at 'Sandals' in Castries and now you want to move to the country, I won't even begin to take you seriously.

If you feel you know the country well enough or you have other motivation to live there, I may be able to help you, but to be more specific about helping you, you'll need to answer some questions

1) Where in St Lucia were you planning on living?
2) How do you plan on making a living?
3) Where have you been in St Lucia before now and for how long?
4) What visa do you plan on getting and what stage are you at right now?
5) Do you have family in St Lucia?
When did you live on the island? What made you decide to leave after 6 months?
We are looking to live on the north of the island initially, but will look at the south as I understand there are lots of development opportunities there. It would be influenced by schools as much as anything.
We hope to open a business, either set up from scratch or buy.
Have only been to St Lucia once, but visited the caribbean frequently. Have lived abroad in a few places so don't have rose coloured spectacles.
We have contacted the High Commission in London & they say no visa is necessary for Brits - a licence for a business (obtainable on the island), likewise, if we try to get jobs, the employer would have to prove no local person was available/suitable & then apply for a work permit.
I'd appreciate any advice & your opinion on this.
Thanks!
Old Sep 1st 2004, 7:49 pm
Forum Regular

Who told you that?!?!?!

They're living on Planet Dream
The High Commission!!!!

Is it really impossible??
Old Sep 1st 2004, 8:22 pm
dealing with it

The High Commission!!!!

Is it really impossible??
Not impossible by any means, but any person wishing to work on the island does need to have a valid permit to work., these usually start from 3 months and go up to 3 years (which are renewable indefinitely I believe). I knew a few Brits on the island, the locals will be able to point you in their direction when you get there, but I was surprised that the High Commission told you what they did because I didn’t meet one British person that lived on the island long term without having previously married a St Lucian….when they said that you didn’t need a visa, are you sure they weren’t talking about for vacationing?

I do know a couple (she is a Brit, he is St Lucian born) who started a business, they are still (as far as I know) running a successful bar near Cormorant Point in the far North of the island, the surfing is better up there but the coast tends not to be as clean, as the shipping lanes wash up the crap from the Atlantic on that side of the island.

I was living and working in the South West, living in Soufriere in 2000 and I eventually left after 6 months because my contract ended and my next job was off the island, believe me, if I could have stayed indefinitely, I would have done! It was a great life but I wasn’t married at the time and I don’t have kids so life was a lot simpler than it will likely be for you.

Schools…as with the rest of the Caribbean, the schooling system leaves a lot to be desired, many parents, especially in the south of the island will not allow their children to go to school, they can make better money than their parents do by begging the tourists for money and by helping their fathers fish first thing in the morning. I would consider home schooling if I were you, but it’s a fine balance because you’ll need them to integrate with the locals as soon as possible, remember, the local language is patois and you’ll need to learn it really fast to be properly accepted by the locals, if you don’t, you’ll get ripped off ‘tourist style’ at every shop you go in. But considering the schooling aspect further…you could easily get a job in a school as a teacher if you have some experience, school teachers are in very short supply in St Lucia, I even did a few guest spots myself to help out….remember though that the pay is really very bad. Your best bet by far would be to set up a business catering to the tourist masses (seasonal but you’ll make good money doing it) the problem will be the locals, they will certainly resent the fact that you have come to their country and set up a business – essentially taking money out of their pockets…many of them would love to set up a business but simply cannot afford to. Have you considered Marigot Bay area (on the west coast) the town is predominantly made up of foreign nationals (many of them very wealthy) and yachties that are just passing through…they both have a lot of money to spend and the place is a nice community…very picturesque.

When you say ‘The North’ I’m assuming that you mean Castries, that’s a good start, cheap housing (Caribbean style though, so don’t expect a glorious mansion) and plenty of life night and day.

OK, a couple more questions for you….tell me to mind my own business if I’m prying…

1) How old are the kids?
2) What is the business you intend to set up? – I can help you with that…many many forms and applications to complete (and remember to become good friends with the local officials, its amazing how easy something becomes when you know the police chief or the politicians personally…and you’re prepared to…errrr…provide financial assistance to them…if you know what I mean)
Old Sep 3rd 2004, 3:36 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Not much help now, but my grand dad & nan emigrated about 25-30 years ago. Lived there happily and set up a couple of businesses. My granddad passed away a long time ago, but my nan is still there. Can't help much more than that. All I've got is a po box number. I get a card at x-mas and she did write to wish me well in moving to Oz.
Rules and regs have probably all changed since then, but just thought I point out that red tape aside it can be done.
Old Sep 3rd 2004, 12:30 pm
dealing with it

Thanks!
Briony
Keep me upto date, I would be very interested to see how you get along.

If I can help with anything please let me know.

CC
Old Sep 7th 2004, 12:58 pm

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

brionyj,

I was in St Lucia last year and stayed for a couple of months and more recently there for three weeks over this summer. Yes the Island is very beautiful, but careful planning is needed for a permanent move. My parents have lived permanently on the Island since last year. My mother is St Lucian born so that made the process straight forward. Quite a few of the ex-pats tend to live in the north of the Island, not so much castries but, Rodney Bay, Cap Estate, kind of areas. Depending on the age of your children, there is a good private primary school, which I believe some ex pat children attend. With regards to buying land, if you are not a St Lucian citizen or born from St lucian parent(s), you will have to aquire an Aliens land holding licence and this takes about three months to obtain, could be quicker. There are business opportunities available to foreigners but some smaller business are reserverd for locals. I also have two kids and am contemplating moving there over the next couple of years and have made some good contacts over there. Feel 3 to contact me for more info. By the way the Roads in St lucia have improved a lot, definitley in North of Island and shopping and entertainment are very good.
Old Sep 8th 2004, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

Keep me upto date, I would be very interested to see how you get along.

If I can help with anything please let me know.

CC
Thanks everyone for your advice.

We have now decided to go with our original plan & move to Oz.
Old Sep 8th 2004, 7:45 pm
dealing with it

Thanks everyone for your advice.

We have now decided to go with our original plan & move to Oz.

Go to Western Oz!!!

Perth/Fremantle area is just the best part (I know many will disagree with me!)
Old Sep 9th 2004, 12:38 pm
Forum Regular

Go to Western Oz!!!

Perth/Fremantle area is just the best part (I know many will disagree with me!)
How bizarre - that's exactly where we plan to go.
I lived in Sydney for years, but think Perth will be better for the family - plus property is cheaper.
We're looking at the NW suburbs.
Did you live in Oz too? What did you do there? What do you do now?
Brionyj
Old Sep 9th 2004, 12:58 pm
dealing with it

How bizarre - that's exactly where we plan to go.
I lived in Sydney for years, but think Perth will be better for the family - plus property is cheaper.
We're looking at the NW suburbs.
Did you live in Oz too? What did you do there? What do you do now?
Brionyj

I've sent you a PM!!! Too much to tell you on the open forum.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.