Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean
Reload this Page >

Moving to Caribbean and working from home - please explain/help?

Moving to Caribbean and working from home - please explain/help?

Old Apr 10th 2011, 12:41 am
Just Joined

mwyrwik is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Caribbean and working from home - please explain/help?

Hello everyone,

I'm considering moving to the islands (not sure which one yet) and have some questions about work permit rules.

I work from home for a company in the US. All my work is done from home and all I need to do my job is my computer and the Internet connection.

My question is, would this type of work be considered "work" there and require a permit? Technically, I'm taking a job from any local people so I would think that that would be ok.

Also, I would like to stay for about a year, maybe a bit longer. To extend my stay, I know I would have to prove that I have sufficient money to support myself and my family. Could I show the contract with the US company that shows how much money I make as a proof of financial means?

If anyone has any idea on these two points and maybe tell me which place would be the best to move into that would be great. I know there are places where I could stay on visitor visa for 6 months and then maybe extend it. I'm a citizen of Poland and a permanent resident of Canada.

Hope to hear from someone.

Thanks!
Old Apr 10th 2011, 7:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Caribbean and working from home - please explain/help?

I believe you can apply for residency in some islands, you have to show that you are independently wealthy and do not need to work there and can afford to buy property outright. Dont think there would be an issue about the working "offshore" aspect. I think applications would be looked at on an individual basis.
I only know about Cayman - I have two friends who essentially "bought" residency and do not work in Cayman but one works on other islands and uses Cayman as his base and the other runs a company in the US but chooses to live in Cayman (plastic surgery- very lucrative!). You get initial residency then apply for permanent.
Best to think about where you want to go and then research each country's laws.
Good luck
Old Jun 14th 2011, 1:27 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Caribbean and working from home - please explain/help?

Hard to say without saying where you intend on living, but generally if you are working somewhere you need authorization to work, it does not matter whether you are taking jobs from local people, you have decided that is going to be your principal residence (and even if it's not you're working there), you are using local services, ergo you have to pay tax. It's a little different in the Caribbean as some places have no taxes, but even the tax havens except the Cayman Islands usually have payroll taxes, so yes you would be considered self-employed and be required to pay them. And in any event a lot of the island jurisdictions have heavy-duty import duties, you can't get out of those even if you're not working.

It would be the same as being in Canada, you live in Canada, you receive income from a US employer so either you're self-employed and invoicing them and doing payroll withholding, have your own company here that is paying you and that's doing payroll withholding or the US company has a Canadian payroll - you are paying taxes to the Canadian Govt. (and if you're not, you're going to be in big trouble).

Last edited by Steve_; Jun 14th 2011 at 1:31 am.