Moving to Bermuda

Old Apr 20th 2010, 5:57 pm
Just Joined

atr86 is just really niceatr86 is just really niceatr86 is just really niceatr86 is just really niceatr86 is just really niceatr86 is just really niceatr86 is just really niceatr86 is just really nice
Default Moving to Bermuda

Hi All,

I was wondering if there is any members here who have any experienc of moving to bermuda, advice and tips.
My partner is moving out to Bermuda and I am looking for a job before I can go there. I am finding it difficult finding a job and i dont want to be in the UK too much longer after my partner starts his job in Bermuda this June.

Thanks for any help
Old Apr 21st 2010, 3:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Bermuda

What kind of job are you looking for?

Are there any specific aspects of life you are interested in finding more about. I think you will get better answers if you can be more specific. We don't want to just prattle on about a load of stuff that might not be relevant to you.
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 7:45 am
Just Joined

atr86 is just really niceatr86 is just really niceatr86 is just really niceatr86 is just really niceatr86 is just really niceatr86 is just really niceatr86 is just really niceatr86 is just really nice

Hey,

Well my partner is moving out in June and I want to be out in Bermuda in July as i dont want to be in the UK too much longer after he moves - im goingt o sort out our current house and belongings.

I currently work in the Environmental Sector I am looking primarily to work with environmental conservation, waste management, research, data analysis etc

However I am looking for any jobs so will do office jobs such as HR, Receptionist, PA, Secretary or any other jobs which come along.

I would prefer to work and im not sure how to find out about available jobs and where to look on the internet. if anyone can give me some advice on this?

My partner will find somewhere to live while he is on his training course so im happy with that.

What is it like living in Bermuda, do expats enjoy living there?

Thanks for your help
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 8:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Well it can be difficult to get a work permit in Bermuda and I would think particularly so for jobs you are not actually qualified or experienced in.

Before employing an expat the company has to advertise the role for a certain number of days in the newspaper and if any Bermudan applies and meets the criteria quoted in the advertisment they must be given the job by law. This law is easily enforced as the island is too small for nobody to notice and everybody knows everybody.

You could try the Royal Gazette website for job advertisements or look up Bermudajobs, that is the agency I found a position with. You do get expats in unskilled roles like working in bars as Bermudians often don't want this type of work, however HR / Admin roles are quite popular with the locals especially if the company is international. This could be quite hard for you.

The question whether expats enjoy living there is impossible to answer. Some do. Some don't. Same as anywhere. If you use the search function to find more posts on Bermuda you will probably find some of my thoughts on the island that I have expressed before.
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 9:00 am
Just Joined

Hey,
Thank you for this. Well I am open to any job at the moment as I would like to join him out there as soon as possible. I have applied for a few jobs which I have found on the internet but like you said i thought it maybe difficult!

I will have a look at some comments. Luckly it is just the 2 of us and we dont have any children to think about, so it should be easier and even with the more expensive houses and food etc i think we should manage ok.

Im worrying more than i should most probably about a job but i want to work.

Thanks for you help!
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 9:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by atr86
Hey,
Thank you for this. Well I am open to any job at the moment as I would like to join him out there as soon as possible. I have applied for a few jobs which I have found on the internet but like you said i thought it maybe difficult!

I will have a look at some comments. Luckly it is just the 2 of us and we dont have any children to think about, so it should be easier and even with the more expensive houses and food etc i think we should manage ok.

Im worrying more than i should most probably about a job but i want to work.

Thanks for you help!
I don't necessarily think you are worrying more than you should about finding a job. I think it could be quite difficult. It isn't really about what job you are open to. It is about what jobs are open to you.

One thing I cannot recall is if it is possible to go on your partner's work permit as an unmarried couple. You wouldn't be able to work until you get your own work permit, but at least that would put you on the ground in Bermuda.

Do you have a good idea about living costs in Bermuda then? I once bought a single tomato, admittedly a large tomato but it was $18.

Last edited by Bermudashorts; Apr 22nd 2010 at 9:29 am.
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 10:03 am
Just Joined

I was thinking about going out with a permit as a partner and then looking for a job but im not sure if that would work.... i should realy think about speaking to the immigration service.

I have looked at condos and read alot about food prices. I pay £650/month in uK for rent atm and looking at prices and weighing up a higher income in bermuda i think it should be ok and if i also get a job then it would help alot. im hoping once he is out there he will have some good advice and meet the other people starting the job with him and he will find his feet and hopfully sort out good accomodaiton (the trust im putting in haha!)

do you know of any good sites to look at for houses?

Old Apr 22nd 2010, 10:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I was thinking about going out with a permit as a partner and then looking for a job but im not sure if that would work.... i should realy think about speaking to the immigration service.
Oh cripes no you really don't want to do that.

No you are not allowed to look for work, you would probably get refused the partner permit for asking. Bermuda immigration is REALLY strict. I was just thinking if you were in Bermuda you might hear about things through word of mouth. I am not sure if Bermuda recognises defacto relationships, you would need to look into that anyway.

My husband had a colleague who spent 18 months trying to get residency permits for his three young children, one a baby. his problem was that immigration only like expats to bring two children.

I have looked at condos and read alot about food prices. I pay £650/month in uK for rent atm and looking at prices and weighing up a higher income in bermuda i think it should be ok and if i also get a job then it would help alot. im hoping once he is out there he will have some good advice and meet the other people starting the job with him and he will find his feet and hopfully sort out good accomodaiton (the trust im putting in haha!)

do you know of any good sites to look at for houses?

You can try www.e-moo.com for houses / cars / second hand furniture etc. Everybody in Bermuda uses e-moo.

My rent was $9,000 per month for a large house. A small apartment would be at least a couple of thousand a month and of course there is lots in between.

Last edited by Bermudashorts; Apr 22nd 2010 at 10:18 am.
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 10:34 am
Just Joined

OOOOOooooo AHH ahhhh i see ! im really not up on things yet.

Right more research needs to be done by me then, thanks for the warning!

Wow it seems really hard!
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 5:43 pm
Forum Regular

grassisgreener is an unknown quantity at this point

I have to agree with the comments. You will need your own work permit if you're not married, not sure how it works for engaged couples.

You don't want to live in Bermuda and not work if you're used to working. Only the rich insurance wives (or wives used to staying at home with kids) seem to enjoy that lifestyle. It's a tiny island with very little to do if you don't have an active social life (which normally revolves around work to an extent). I waited for 6 months for my work permit and nearly went mad. Other friends have left after uprooting their whole family because the wife couldn't find work.

Research it carefully. For environmental jobs look into the government - check out their website, although you're likely to find it pretty hard to get accustomed to that way of working. But they will employ expats (I had an offer but turned it down).

There is a definite downturn in temping jobs - there are agencies that employ temps but a friend has just had her contract terminated.

If you have any legal secretarial skills you could get a job in one of the law firms, check the legal recruitment sites for secretarial jobs.

Good luck.