Moving to Bahamas

Old Mar 25th 2010, 10:29 pm
Just Joined

johndrake is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Bahamas

I am a London-based banker who wants to move with my family to the Bahamas (most likely to New Providence) from the rainy, super-taxed UK. I am wondering what family life is like on the island, what the Expat community is like and how much of a problem crime is. Would love to hear your views and experiences. Thanks!, John
Old Mar 26th 2010, 11:43 pm
Forum Regular

bruceba has a spectacular aura aboutbruceba has a spectacular aura aboutbruceba has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Moving to Bahamas

Originally Posted by johndrake
I am a London-based banker who wants to move with my family to the Bahamas (most likely to New Providence) from the rainy, super-taxed UK. I am wondering what family life is like on the island, what the Expat community is like and how much of a problem crime is. Would love to hear your views and experiences. Thanks!, John
Sadly the crime rate here is on the rise. Safety is more of an issue than in the past.
I have lived here (Freeport) for more than twenty years and still love the country but It is not like it used to be.
If I were you I would spend some time in Nassau and Freeport before making any long term plans.
Old Mar 27th 2010, 5:16 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Bruceba
How is the crime situation affecting the expat community? Or does it affect the local population more? Are expats leaving as a result......?
As I have a background in financial services it is most likely we would live on New Providence island - probably in a gated community. But I wouldnt want to be isolated in an enclave of expats and would want to see the rest of the island and meet the Bahamian population.....dont know if that would be possible without taking undue risk?
Old Mar 27th 2010, 10:09 pm
Forum Regular

bruceba has a spectacular aura aboutbruceba has a spectacular aura aboutbruceba has a spectacular aura about

Thanks Bruceba
How is the crime situation affecting the expat community? Or does it affect the local population more? Are expats leaving as a result......?
As I have a background in financial services it is most likely we would live on New Providence island - probably in a gated community. But I wouldnt want to be isolated in an enclave of expats and would want to see the rest of the island and meet the Bahamian population.....dont know if that would be possible without taking undue risk?
Violent crime is generally not directed at expats.
Home robberie is a common occurrence sadly.
I don;t want to discourage you but you should spent time here before you commit.
fishing is great and diving as well.
Shopping is not so hot.
Nassau is more posh than Freeport.
Good luck
Google nassau guardian and nassau tribune for on line newspaper. It will help you get a feel for the news.
Bruce

Last edited by bruceba; Mar 27th 2010 at 10:13 pm. Reason: sp
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 10:47 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Bruce
Also, any idea how easy it is to hire a housekeeper over there? Someone to help around the house, do cleaning help with looking after kids, perhaps a little cooking etc? Is it the case that local Bahamians are often keen to do this type of work or do expat families tend to try and bring in people from abroad? Do people hire through agencies or recommendations?...I need to try and get an idea of costs etc....
Cheers
Andy
Old Apr 25th 2010, 12:18 pm
Just Joined

Hi everyone
I am coming to Nassau this coming Wednesday for a week. Will be staying at Sandyport.
Want to get a feel for the Island. Should I hire a car? Also thinking of hiring a guide for a day - someone who can show me around and give me a better feel for the place. Know of anyone you can recommend?
Cheers
Old May 16th 2010, 11:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

killerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud of

It's over ten years since I left Nassau, but we are still in touch with Bahamian friends and hopefully can give some valid advice.

You don't mention the age of your kids, but if they are primary school age or lower then there are many good possibilities and in our case, the best friends we made were fellow parents.

Security is an issue, but it is also a state of mind. So you can be careful and take reasonable precautions and enjoy life, or you can be worried and let your worry spoil what is likely to be a fantastic experience.

Get a dog. Many Bahamians are wary of dogs. Your house should have either a "safe room" (bit extreme), or at least you should have a gate at the top of the stairs so in the still unlikely event you get burgled at night you will be safe upstairs. If your employer is any good they should have a security person who can give you more advice.

Maids/housekeepers are available. The best ones get "passed around" between expats (by recommendation or when someone leaves). We had a fantastic local lady. The hard work (eg gardening) tends to be done by Haitians (we had a great Haitian gardener). In general Bahamians dislike the Haitians and there used to be a lot of racist comments against them.

Expat community: this is a funny one. I'm going to over-generalise here: there used to be a lot of cynical, spoilt, bored Brits who spent a lot of time slagging off the Bahamas and its people. There is a lot to criticise if your glass is half empty! So we avoided those kind of expats. Most of our friends were Bahamians or Bahamians with US/UK partners, with an "international" perspective but truly part of Bahamian life/culture.

After all, isn't that why you go and live in another culture?

I could go on for ever, but come back with some specific questions and I will do my best to answer. Your reccie will hopefully give you a bit of a feel for the place.

Nassua vs Freeport: definitely Nassau (Freeport too small and a bit boring).

Finally once you have an ice-cold Kalik in your hands and you are watching the sunset you will know that you have made the right decision (I used to run the Commonwealth Brewery at Clifton Pier).

Good luck
Old Jul 12th 2010, 4:00 pm
Just Joined

ryanknowles is an unknown quantity at this point

How was the trip John? Are you still thinking of relocating?

Hi everyone
I am coming to Nassau this coming Wednesday for a week. Will be staying at Sandyport.
Want to get a feel for the Island. Should I hire a car? Also thinking of hiring a guide for a day - someone who can show me around and give me a better feel for the place. Know of anyone you can recommend?
Cheers
Old Jul 25th 2010, 11:23 am
Just Joined

morgan19 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi john drake im new to this site .i am on another site expat in the bahamas .i like yourself want to eventually move to the bahamas .has being to both freeport & the bahamas on occasions .i find nassau safer than grandbahama .i wish to reside in paradise island over the bridge from nassau & like you get out of britain & give my children a better life & myself regards