Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean
Reload this Page >

Hello - Info on Trinidad requested..

Hello - Info on Trinidad requested..

Old Jul 12th 2010, 5:25 pm
Just Joined

pensive101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hello - Info on Trinidad requested..

Hi,

Looking for some information on T&T. Heard about the crime but must say England is not exactly the safest place in the world, is the crime targetting expats or mostly local infighting, gangs and drugs etc? Are there specific places best to live, I hear Moraval is nice and west moorings? I have a young (beautiful) wife and am also interested in how safe it would be for her to get around? What is the general cost of living, loaf of bread, beer in a bar, joint of pork/beef etc? Also what are the supermarkets like, can you get British items like on other WI islands? Finally any guidance on cost of leasing a car or apartments in nice areas also appreciated.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Mick
Old Jul 16th 2010, 5:44 pm

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello - Info on Trinidad requested..

Originally Posted by pensive101

I have a young (beautiful) wife
Mick, mmm, young beautiful wife, that sounds good for you. I am sure the trini men will be licking their lips as soon as she steps foot out of the airport.
Expect the usual psssssssssssss pssssssssssss, even when she is walking with you

In reality, there are lots of beautiful women in Trinidad from all different backgrounds, Trinidad has had two Miss Worlds and have also won the Miss Universe contest, so there are no shortage of pretty beautiful chicks in trini.
maybe your eyes will pop out of their sockets when you see them

Why Trinidad, is your wife a trini ?

Crime discussed in a thread recently, look a few post down.

I am not up to date with latest prices in Trinidad so I will leave that for others to comment on.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 5:49 pm
Just Joined

hahaha! I have heard they are very beautiful and although my wife is not from there she will fit right into that company! I did read about the crime in a previous thread was hoping to find some more expats that currently live there that might be able to give me more information, but seems not! Thanks for responding though!
Old Jul 16th 2010, 6:02 pm

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

hahaha! I have heard they are very beautiful and although my wife is not from there she will fit right into that company! I did read about the crime in a previous thread was hoping to find some more expats that currently live there that might be able to give me more information, but seems not! Thanks for responding though!
But why are you looking to move to Trinidad, have you got any connection there ? The normal expat place on this site seems to be Barbados, followed by places like St Lucia, Grenada, St Martin, etc. Just wondering why you are considering Trinidad, have you spent any time there ?
Old Jul 16th 2010, 6:10 pm
Just Joined

Normal depends on where you have a good job offer! My first choice would be Barbados but it depends on work. I am an IT professional and any suggestions on companies or placements on other islands or Trinidad appreciated. I have friends there and although I know crime is bad it is still a nice island by all accounts.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 8:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

anuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud of

I am an IT professional and any suggestions on companies or placements on other islands or Trinidad appreciated.
IT professional is a very broad swath. In our specific industry vertical -- Finance; Cayman, Antigua, Bermuda, Bahamas are where ancillary support personnel is needed.
Old Sep 14th 2010, 11:11 pm
Just Joined

Spice Islander is a jewel in the roughSpice Islander is a jewel in the roughSpice Islander is a jewel in the roughSpice Islander is a jewel in the rough

Hi,

Looking for some information on T&T. Heard about the crime but must say England is not exactly the safest place in the world, is the crime targetting expats or mostly local infighting, gangs and drugs etc? Are there specific places best to live, I hear Moraval is nice and west moorings? I have a young (beautiful) wife and am also interested in how safe it would be for her to get around? What is the general cost of living, loaf of bread, beer in a bar, joint of pork/beef etc? Also what are the supermarkets like, can you get British items like on other WI islands? Finally any guidance on cost of leasing a car or apartments in nice areas also appreciated.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Mick
Mick

Am a Trini that lived in the UK for 15 yrs. Went back to Trinidad in 2001 and felt like an expat!

Upscale neighbourhoods are Westmoorings, Bayshore, Fairways in Maraval (not Moraval!!), Moka in upper Maraval, The Park in Glencoe, parts of Cascade. You would be better off living in a gated community of which they are several in the areas mentioned - it is safER but not completely safe.

Cost of housing: The cheapest you would get in an upscale neighbourhood would be about US$2,000. per month for a 2 bedroom apartment.

The crime is FAR worse than in England. The crime is mostly gang related but on saying so, I have had 2 friends murdered - one of which was Lynette Lithgow - see: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/ob...ow-729592.html and the other was a robbery that went wrong. I myself was mugged in my own compound. Expats are not particularly targeted but some have been brutally murdered. I have close family that were help up at gunpoint and other close family members whose home was broken into and they were shot but thankfully not killed. I do not mean to scare you but you need to be very careful in Trinidad. Don't expect much help from the police - a lot of them are also involved in the crime!

Your wife would need to drive there. She would need to get a Trini license after - I think - 3 months of using her British license. She would probably need to do a test.

Hi-Lo in Westmoorings is probably the best supermarket and they cater to the expats but mostly American. Tru-Valu in Long Circular Mall is also good.

I was in Trinidad last week and rented a car at the airport - it cost US$45. per day. You could probably get a better deal if you are renting long term. Check on the age of the car as sometimes bangers are rented for cheap but you do NOT want to break down in Trinidad....you would most likely get robbed!

I lived in Maraval when I was living there - the traffic in and out is really, really bad! If I were you, I would choose to live in Westmoorings.

I worked with a company that employed many British and American Expats - the things that bothered them the most were the crime, the constant noise (car alarms constantly going off, super loud music played in moving cars, dogs barking, Trinis are culturally loud people), litter, nothing done properly, poor service everywhere. What they liked the most was the constant parties, beach gatherings, 'down the islands', Trini humour (takes some time to understand), being able to quickly get to other caribbean islands, sailing, fishing and most of all Carnival. It is very much a fun island and the culture is food and party.

Restaurant food that is available: the local Trini food which is mixture of British, African and Indian culture, International Food, Thai, mid-Eastern, Chinese, Indian, French, American and can't remember what else. Food in Trinidad is really good!

I am not too up to date with the cost of living - a 3lb chicken costs about TT$30.00. Pork in Trinidad is locally grown and is excellent - better than the UK as far as I am concerned but the bacon is not nearly as good as British Bacon which to me is the best worldwide!

Beer is sold in 1/2 pint bottles and cans. A local beer in a decent bar (not a rum shop) would cost TT$12.00 to about TT$25.00 in an upscale restaurant.

Best nightclub: Zen - zen.tt
Best sportsbar: Trotters - trotters.net

You can send me a private email for further information. Hope this is of help.
Old Sep 15th 2010, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by Spice Islander
Mick

Am a Trini that lived in the UK for 15 yrs. Went back to Trinidad in 2001 and felt like an expat!

Upscale neighbourhoods are Westmoorings, Bayshore, Fairways in Maraval (not Moraval!!), Moka in upper Maraval, The Park in Glencoe, parts of Cascade. You would be better off living in a gated community of which they are several in the areas mentioned - it is safER but not completely safe.

Cost of housing: The cheapest you would get in an upscale neighbourhood would be about US$2,000. per month for a 2 bedroom apartment.

The crime is FAR worse than in England. The crime is mostly gang related but on saying so, I have had 2 friends murdered - one of which was Lynette Lithgow - see: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/ob...ow-729592.html and the other was a robbery that went wrong. I myself was mugged in my own compound. Expats are not particularly targeted but some have been brutally murdered. I have close family that were help up at gunpoint and other close family members whose home was broken into and they were shot but thankfully not killed. I do not mean to scare you but you need to be very careful in Trinidad. Don't expect much help from the police - a lot of them are also involved in the crime!

Your wife would need to drive there. She would need to get a Trini license after - I think - 3 months of using her British license. She would probably need to do a test.

Hi-Lo in Westmoorings is probably the best supermarket and they cater to the expats but mostly American. Tru-Valu in Long Circular Mall is also good.

I was in Trinidad last week and rented a car at the airport - it cost US$45. per day. You could probably get a better deal if you are renting long term. Check on the age of the car as sometimes bangers are rented for cheap but you do NOT want to break down in Trinidad....you would most likely get robbed!

I lived in Maraval when I was living there - the traffic in and out is really, really bad! If I were you, I would choose to live in Westmoorings.

I worked with a company that employed many British and American Expats - the things that bothered them the most were the crime, the constant noise (car alarms constantly going off, super loud music played in moving cars, dogs barking, Trinis are culturally loud people), litter, nothing done properly, poor service everywhere. What they liked the most was the constant parties, beach gatherings, 'down the islands', Trini humour (takes some time to understand), being able to quickly get to other caribbean islands, sailing, fishing and most of all Carnival. It is very much a fun island and the culture is food and party.

Restaurant food that is available: the local Trini food which is mixture of British, African and Indian culture, International Food, Thai, mid-Eastern, Chinese, Indian, French, American and can't remember what else. Food in Trinidad is really good!

I am not too up to date with the cost of living - a 3lb chicken costs about TT$30.00. Pork in Trinidad is locally grown and is excellent - better than the UK as far as I am concerned but the bacon is not nearly as good as British Bacon which to me is the best worldwide!

Beer is sold in 1/2 pint bottles and cans. A local beer in a decent bar (not a rum shop) would cost TT$12.00 to about TT$25.00 in an upscale restaurant.

Best nightclub: Zen - zen.tt
Best sportsbar: Trotters - trotters.net

You can send me a private email for further information. Hope this is of help.
Spice Islander, you have described the situation in Trinidad perfectly. The crime situation is all that really spoils this wonderful island. Are you based in Grenada now ? If so, what is the overall situation over there and are you enjoying it ?
Old Sep 15th 2010, 12:27 pm
Just Joined

Spice Islander is a jewel in the roughSpice Islander is a jewel in the roughSpice Islander is a jewel in the roughSpice Islander is a jewel in the rough

Will reply in a new thread entitled 'Grenada'.
Old Dec 7th 2010, 3:30 pm
Just Joined

ukgettingworst is just really niceukgettingworst is just really niceukgettingworst is just really niceukgettingworst is just really niceukgettingworst is just really niceukgettingworst is just really niceukgettingworst is just really niceukgettingworst is just really nice

Hello mick,
hope you do move to trinidad, its like everything else in life? you get what you put into it> dont try and be a target< just blend in with everyone around you.
Yes there is alot of crime but you will learn of those areas, keep trusted people around you and you will be safe.

I have moved to the uk from tnt since 2002 and been back a few times, for me its good to visit as they say;''the party goes on till morning'' .
my family still lives there and its been ok.
Well you would get your crime happening , Mostly in the hotspots.

The police is not helpful and the people are very understanding, i wish you all the best and if you need any info pm me and i am sure i can get some more details if needed.( i got alot of friends that live all over trinidad) even tobago if you wanted to check it out there?. wish you the best of luck .