Family life in Bermuda

Old May 12th 2008, 9:38 am
Just Joined

Quercia is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Family life in Bermuda

Hi All,
New to the site! I am writing following an advert I have seen for the Bermuda Police Force. Does anyone have any experience in this? I am a Brit looking to move. I have a family and 2 kids. I have read through several forums and can see that life is generally more expensive. Unclear at this stage If the job would bring additional benefits such as housing etc. I really just wanted to hear stories from other similar families living in Bermuda with Children and getting greater understanding from a family perspective.
Thanks in advance
Old May 13th 2008, 7:51 am
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Family life in Bermuda

Originally Posted by Quercia
Hi All,
New to the site! I am writing following an advert I have seen for the Bermuda Police Force. Does anyone have any experience in this? I am a Brit looking to move. I have a family and 2 kids. I have read through several forums and can see that life is generally more expensive. Unclear at this stage If the job would bring additional benefits such as housing etc. I really just wanted to hear stories from other similar families living in Bermuda with Children and getting greater understanding from a family perspective.
Thanks in advance

Hi there,

Can't really help with life in Bermuda, sorry. But thought I'd share the following in case it helps (with your negotiations).

Hubbie was invited to apply for a job in Bermuda in financial services. But after investigating the cost of living there, he didn't puruse it, even though we were up for the adventure. The salary/package (including school fees which were not on the table) need to be signifcantly higher than current UK one for a comparable lifestyle IMO. The big cost is housing so would ideally need to be included as a benefit. Most companies recruiting professional middle management plus would offer a housing allowance as far as I am aware. Unsure about school fees, depending on one's company and seniority I suppose.

Additionally, it is the third most densely populated place on Earth, which also put us off. I couldn't contemplate moving from a large 4 bedroom detached house in a 'free' cul-de-sac into a 2-3 bedroom flat with no garden and young children.

Money dependent, it could be great.
Old May 13th 2008, 11:32 am
Just Joined

kimsayers is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi My name is Kim.

My husband and I lived in Bermuda from 2004 to 2006 we went over on a wage and heath plan only. My husband works as a project manager in construction.We took the job it in order to get the first one abroad.
Bermuda is very small, fantastic for a couple of years but not much to do past the beach and water based sports, It is of the cost of Boston and no were near the Caribbean. its is sub-tropical. The cost of living is very expensive. food is all imported nothing is cheap. we went over on $80.000 and we lived in a studio apartment in Paget we had an on site pool and a fantastic time. but it was about the size of a living room in the Uk and cost us £850 a month. schooling is expensive and not very good, most of the expats leave when the children are at secondary or send them of the Island. I have a good sites for you http://www.e-moo.com/Welcome.aspx
I got my apartment from here you can get some idea of the cost of things.
You would have to have an offer of at least $110,000 with some help towards aaccommodation
Good luck and I will say its one of the most bbeautifulIslands. If you need any more help just ask Regards Kim
Old Sep 8th 2008, 5:36 pm
Just Joined

Ringo232 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: Family life in Bermuda

hello, just read your post and curious to see if you did actually take the plunge to move and join the bermuda police ? i am currently going through the application process from the UK and would be interested to hear your experiences. thanks
Old Sep 8th 2008, 8:11 pm
Just Joined

Quercia is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
After some queries and and telephone conversations I was told I would be contacted during the summer. I never heard again! I guess they didn't like me!? How are you getting on? Where do you live at the moment. Are you going on your own?
Old Sep 20th 2008, 6:24 am
Forum Regular

movin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nice

Hope you have a thick skin....the Bermudian police are somewhat useless and as they went to school with and are related to, a lot of the criminals, they are not the most trustworthy, they also find it hard to recruit from the locals that is why so many Police come from UK and particularly the Caribbean.

When I lived there, there were many single UK police but not many families, you want to be at least a Sgt or Inspector....try looking up the Police Rugby team, they are a decent lot at least.
Old Sep 21st 2008, 9:25 am
BE Enthusiast

cookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to all

Originally Posted by kimsayers
Hi My name is Kim.

My husband and I lived in Bermuda from 2004 to 2006 we went over on a wage and heath plan only. My husband works as a project manager in construction.We took the job it in order to get the first one abroad.
Bermuda is very small, fantastic for a couple of years but not much to do past the beach and water based sports, It is of the cost of Boston and no were near the Caribbean. its is sub-tropical. The cost of living is very expensive. food is all imported nothing is cheap. we went over on $80.000 and we lived in a studio apartment in Paget we had an on site pool and a fantastic time. but it was about the size of a living room in the Uk and cost us £850 a month. schooling is expensive and not very good, most of the expats leave when the children are at secondary or send them of the Island. I have a good sites for you http://www.e-moo.com/Welcome.aspx
I got my apartment from here you can get some idea of the cost of things.
You would have to have an offer of at least $110,000 with some help towards aaccommodation
Good luck and I will say its one of the most bbeautifulIslands. If you need any more help just ask Regards Kim
Hi Kim, the job your husband had is the line of work my husband is in too. If it's ok, I may come back to you with some more questions if he's successful in his application?