Extended holiday

Old Mar 31st 2011, 4:18 pm
Just Joined

ineedabreak is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Extended holiday

Hi

I'm from London and planning an extended 'holiday' to Grenada. I have no family ties to Grenada although I do have family friends who will be hooking me up with Grenadians they know once I'm there. I know people in and from T&T and Barbados.

The main reason I have chosen Grenada is that it's beautiful, peaceful, low crime and most importantly I can just about afford it for a few months.

I intend to live in rented accommodation and basically live a semi-normal life as much as possible.

I would have liked to do a few months in Grenada then a few months elsewhere in the Caribbean but it started looking a bit too expensive.

If anyone has any advice for me, I'd be very grateful! For example advice on which area to stay in, what to consider before I go, whether a car is essential or can I get away with living on foot etc.

I would definitely appreciate any advice anyone might have!
Old Mar 31st 2011, 5:45 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Extended holiday

Also, I've not so far managed to find any information about broadband availability and pricing as I'll definitely be needing that.
Old Apr 3rd 2011, 3:30 pm
Just Joined

mangomad is an unknown quantity at this point

Grenada is beautiful, but have you thought about Bequia, 9 miles off the coast of St Vincent, and a part of the outstanding Grenadine islands? The reason i suggest it is because it is small, 7 miles x 5, so if you have time anywhere is accessible on foot. There is a good dollar van system for getting around, the ferries are not expensive if you want to visit the mainland.
During the summer months tourism is slow, and there are many small apartments to choose from, you should get something for 600ec$ monthly.
Everyone knows everyone, very friendly, so it's easy to ask around for what you want, word will soon spread.
Beautiful climate and beaches, turquoise sea, very natural island living.
www.bequiatourism.com www.bequiasweet.com www.bequianet.com
Old Apr 3rd 2011, 9:36 pm
Just Joined

sumfestlover is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello ineedabreak,

Firstly i would like to say how jealous i am of your extended holiday, sounds fab! Are you off on your own? Any reason for your long break?

I have never been to Grenada myself but one of my good friends just came back from a 3 week holiday there and absoloutley loved it!!! However she stayed in a hotel so i dont have any tips on accomadation...but i would say if you're going to stay in rented accomadation then i would definitley rent a car, i spent a month in an apartment in Barbados last summer and would have gone stir crazy without a car, it gives you so much freedom and a chance to see the whole island without having to rely on anyone. So if it is in your buget then yes, its a must!

I got my accom in Barbados through a friend of a friend, and for rentals i don't tend to rely on the internet often the info is out of date so def worth seeing if anyone your family/friend is hooking you up with when you get out there, can get you a heads up, + with things like the internet, would probably be a good idea + quite often if a local helps you out you'll get a better rate!!

Anyway hope this has helped....just a little! Would love to hear mrore about your trip...

Sumfestlover x
Old Apr 4th 2011, 2:58 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: Extended holiday

Thank you mangomad, I'll certainly consider Bequia as an option for the second leg of my holiday, it looks lovely (and would save me the hassle of extending my visa)!

Thanks sumfestlover, every piece of advice I can get is highly appreciated! I am going alone, for no other reason than that I can! It's something I've always wanted to do, and I've suddenly found myself in a position with no immediate work commitments, so as I also have no family commitments, I figured "why not now?" - after all, who knows what the future holds and I may never get this opportunity again!
Old Apr 4th 2011, 11:13 pm
Just Joined

Question Re: Extended holiday

The plot thickens - everything seems to be moving faster than I expected! I originally planned to leave around the end of May and return at the end of the year, but the loose ends I need to tie up at this end seem to be coming together about a month sooner than I intended.

Also, one of my Trini friends has now offered up her parents house in Diego Martin for me to stay in for part of my time away (since they're away and would appreciate having someone to look after the place for them) - and although I've been there before and stayed with them before I've never been alone in Trinidad. I loved it there and I didn't feel unsafe (but then I was always with my friend and/or her family). Frankly I'm even pretty nervous wandering the streets of London (where I was born) alone, but the thought of being a foreigner alone in Trinidad makes me a bit nervous.

Does anyone know how safe (or otherwise) Diego Martin might be for a foreigner staying alone?
Old Apr 5th 2011, 5:08 pm

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ineedabreak
The plot thickens - everything seems to be moving faster than I expected! I originally planned to leave around the end of May and return at the end of the year, but the loose ends I need to tie up at this end seem to be coming together about a month sooner than I intended.

Also, one of my Trini friends has now offered up her parents house in Diego Martin for me to stay in for part of my time away (since they're away and would appreciate having someone to look after the place for them) - and although I've been there before and stayed with them before I've never been alone in Trinidad. I loved it there and I didn't feel unsafe (but then I was always with my friend and/or her family). Frankly I'm even pretty nervous wandering the streets of London (where I was born) alone, but the thought of being a foreigner alone in Trinidad makes me a bit nervous.

Does anyone know how safe (or otherwise) Diego Martin might be for a foreigner staying alone?
Grenada plan sounds good.
Trinidad alone, please don't do it !!!
Old Apr 6th 2011, 6:52 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by pgtips
Grenada plan sounds good.
Trinidad alone, please don't do it !!!
Thanks pgtips - I was thinking along those lines but now I have the joyous task of declining my friend's offer without seeming ungrateful... the whole thing only came up because i know she's been needing a new car for years so i asked her if she wanted to use mine while I'm away.

Ah well!
Old May 20th 2011, 7:23 pm
Just Joined

I'm now in Grenada and currently apartment-hunting.

One thing I've noticed is that in my price range (which is fairly low) most apartments don't have a washing machine. I haven't asked anyone round here yet but I have looked on the internet and so far have found nothing at all about laundry services or launderettes in St George.

Where do people wash their clothes? Or would I have to hand wash (perish the thought)

Apologies for what might sound like a silly question!

Last edited by ineedabreak; May 20th 2011 at 7:30 pm.
Old May 20th 2011, 9:37 pm

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ineedabreak
I'm now in Grenada and currently apartment-hunting.

One thing I've noticed is that in my price range (which is fairly low) most apartments don't have a washing machine. I haven't asked anyone round here yet but I have looked on the internet and so far have found nothing at all about laundry services or launderettes in St George.

Where do people wash their clothes? Or would I have to hand wash (perish the thought)

Apologies for what might sound like a silly question!
Hi ineedabreak, I hope you are enjoying Grenada. Try the folks at Grenada Explora, they live on the island, I am sure someone will be able to help you with such a specific question http://www.grenadatravelforum.com/