Dentist needs advice

Old Sep 14th 2008, 8:40 pm
Just Joined

drmellis has a brilliant futuredrmellis has a brilliant futuredrmellis has a brilliant futuredrmellis has a brilliant futuredrmellis has a brilliant futuredrmellis has a brilliant future
Default Dentist needs advice

OK, I’m American not British but after reading post on this site for a few weeks it seems one of the best expat sites around. I’m a dentist here in the states, practicing for 12 years with the last 5 years in private practice. For the past year I have been pondering leaving the states for reasons I will not bore you with but they are probably not that different then your reasons to expatriate.

I wanted to seek this forums help on possible places to live. Here are some of the criteria that I have used to narrow my search and below that are the countries I have sort of narrowed it down too. The more opinions I can get the better.

1. I need a country I can practice in. I have three children and can not afford to retire. I’m open to either private practice or government clinic.
2. I need a certain amount of first world amenities. I’m not ready to walk away from everything and again the children.
3. A country where I will not be kicked out of after a fixed time, i.e. Cayman. This move needs to be permanent.
4. Good schools, public or private.
5. English based government and law. Also English as a first language.
6. Anglican Churches (we call it Episcopal here in the states).
7. Fewest taxes possible.

Here is my list so far in no particular order:
1. Caymans
2. Barbados
3. St. Lucia
4. BVI
5. TCI
Any others I should look at?
All right, let me hear some opinions. And if any of you know of someone, country, clinic, whatever needing a dentist let me know!
Old Sep 17th 2008, 6:14 pm
Just Joined

agentyumi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Dentist needs advice

If it was just you there would be not as much problem, but with 3 children, that changes the situation.

I guess my suggestion would have for you to visit those islands that you said and have a careful study in each. You could then look at the job situation, housing, etc. which can be very important.

If you move, you may have to give a bit to make it work for you.
Place that your family would be welcome and safe.
English is spoken in some islands. Well, there are lots of islands with English, the USVI, BVI, and Bahamas, St Kitts, Nevis, Bequia, etc...
Good schools. Schools, especially elementary schools have a hard time getting funding and the best teachers in many islands.
Housing available to rent or buy. If you don't mind the prices, every place has homes. But, non-US islands can be tricky to buy on. The BVI allows any native to match your price and buy it from under you for example.

Hope this helps
Old Dec 11th 2008, 11:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by drmellis
OK, I’m American not British but after reading post on this site for a few weeks it seems one of the best expat sites around. I’m a dentist here in the states, practicing for 12 years with the last 5 years in private practice. For the past year I have been pondering leaving the states for reasons I will not bore you with but they are probably not that different then your reasons to expatriate.

I wanted to seek this forums help on possible places to live. Here are some of the criteria that I have used to narrow my search and below that are the countries I have sort of narrowed it down too. The more opinions I can get the better.

1. I need a country I can practice in. I have three children and can not afford to retire. I’m open to either private practice or government clinic.
2. I need a certain amount of first world amenities. I’m not ready to walk away from everything and again the children.
3. A country where I will not be kicked out of after a fixed time, i.e. Cayman. This move needs to be permanent.
4. Good schools, public or private.
5. English based government and law. Also English as a first language.
6. Anglican Churches (we call it Episcopal here in the states).
7. Fewest taxes possible.

Here is my list so far in no particular order:
1. Caymans
2. Barbados
3. St. Lucia
4. BVI
5. TCI
Any others I should look at?
All right, let me hear some opinions. And if any of you know of someone, country, clinic, whatever needing a dentist let me know!
What about the Dominican Republic? Okay, Spanish is the first language but there is a large expat population on the north coast (around Sosua). There are many North Americans/Europeans living on the north coast with their own schools,etc. and the country is open to immigration. Many tourists from all over the World visit this area year round.

There are also quite a few American companies operating there such as Intel.

Last edited by johnh009; Dec 11th 2008 at 11:43 pm.
Old Dec 15th 2008, 1:12 pm

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

From your wish list St Lucia seems to fit the bill.
I would have to second the poster that suggested you visited the islands and then you will have a much better feel for your choices.