Cornish expats

Old Feb 26th 2009, 10:30 pm
Just Joined

Tissan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cornish expats

Are there any Cornish expats in the Caribbean? Would love to here from anyone from North Cornwall. I'm from Boscastle but living in Bequia.
Old Feb 26th 2009, 11:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

zanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to all
Default Re: Cornish expats

Not from Cornwall...but how is Bequia, we live in Barbados, and are dying to visit...sorry to hijack!
Old Feb 27th 2009, 9:05 am
Just Joined

Hi Zanne
You really must visit Bequia but it's nothing like Barbados which is maybe why we love it.
You can get an SVG flight direct or Liat to St Vincent then a short ferry ride to Bequia.
It is only 9 miles square with some 5000 inhabitants. A handful of shops and restaurants and a couple of banks.
We first came in 2004 and decided to build a retirement home where we could spend those dreary UK winter months.
Old May 16th 2009, 3:34 am
Just Joined

Dragonflies is an unknown quantity at this point

Close - we are from Devon and living in Antigua!
Old May 16th 2009, 6:00 am
Just Joined

Hi.

Thanks for taking the trouble to reply.
Whilst I am Cornish (born and bred in Boscastle), my husband was born in Newton Abbot but moved to Camelford when he was four. We now live in near Taunton, Somerset.
Where to do come from in Devon? Do you live full time in Antigua? How are you finding the lifestyle there?

Regards
Tissan
Old May 18th 2009, 12:28 am
Just Joined

Hi!
Know Taunton well and my Sister-in-law lives there. We lived just outside of Tiverton so only about 15 mins from Taunton.

Yes, we live in Antigua, we moved here almost a year ago and love it! Return to the UK - not on your nelly!

So do you come to the islands regularly? You said that you are living in Bequia too?

Regards
Old May 18th 2009, 5:12 am
Just Joined

Hi-nice to hear from you.

We plan to spend our winters in Bequia having taken some 4 years to build our home. Construction there takes twice as long as anywhere else in the Caribbean.

We will be going over in October but will pop out in June/July for a month. We love being there very much - it has it's drawbacks of course; namely lack of products we take for granted at home but we knew all (well, maybe not all!) the pitfalls before we built.

So do you work in Antigua or are your retired?

Cold and wet here in England this morning. Central heating roaring away - oh to be in Bequia.
Old May 18th 2009, 1:37 pm
Just Joined

Ah is a sunny 30 degrees here!

My husband got a job here but I cannot work as have no work permit but am planning on starting up a wedding planning business here (I used to do that in the UK). We have 3 kids (12, 9 and 2) so they keep me busy!

I know what you mean about lack of products but when you have the sun and the beaches it makes up for it. Saturday we were out on a friends boat for they day, snorkeling and on the beaches of Green Island just off of Antigua. Then we did some fishing and my middle son caught a 2ft long Barracuda, great way to spend a sat!

Life is very different but we love it!

So, if you ever plan on visiting Antigua, give me a shout!
Old May 27th 2009, 12:42 pm
Forum Regular

vikki85 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am moving to Barbados in July but am from Hampshire - guess its not too far from Cornwall in the grand scheme of things. We often holidayed in Devon (Woolacombe) when I was a child - I love the west country.