Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean
Reload this Page >

career to emigrate with...

career to emigrate with...

Old Feb 23rd 2010, 10:44 pm
Just Joined

dee6 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default career to emigrate with...

I am at a career crossroads and I will begin re-training in Sept with a view to emigrate to the carribean with my new qualification . I have three choices , can anyone tell me which would be my best bet to get me into the country on pref. a perm Visa -?
Primary Teaching, Occupational therapy or Social work ??
If there are other careers that could be suggested that I haven't listed in these type of professions maybe Nursery Nurse/montessori teaching please let me know
Used to be a PA in a bank and I don't believe I can do it with this background and I am now a teaching assistant in a primary school until I start Uni in Sept.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 12:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: career to emigrate with...

Those tend to be careers that local people go into. Employers have to prove that they cant find the talent locally to justify to the Immigration Board that a work permit is necessary. Although I can''t say that you couldn't get work but with a few years of experience and further qualifications and some contacts you may be able to.
I came to Cayman 3 years after Uni, with a Masters and one yr graduate training experience in the UK in a bank, working for a travel company who sent me all over the world and finally Cayman (when I quit the company after my contract expired and stayed) and I haven't done badly but I'm still on yearly permits in finance -permanent work visas dont really exist in the Caribbean.
A very good PA in finance with alternative investment (hedge fund) experience would be very useful. Although have to say there's no shortage at the moment and probably not for a few years.
Good plan though to get qualifications - you never know when opportunities turn up. I have two friends (expats) who are Montessori teachers here but came about after networking and other jobs. I believe they originally came here to work in tourism - dive instructors and waitressing.
Good luck - looks like you want to be anywhere but the UK - I felt the same because I had travelled so much as a child and teenager and knew there was a big world out there.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 3:07 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: career to emigrate with...

Originally Posted by dee6
I am at a career crossroads and I will begin re-training in Sept with a view to emigrate to the carribean with my new qualification . I have three choices , can anyone tell me which would be my best bet to get me into the country on pref. a perm Visa -?
Primary Teaching, Occupational therapy or Social work ??
If there are other careers that could be suggested that I haven't listed in these type of professions maybe Nursery Nurse/montessori teaching please let me know
Used to be a PA in a bank and I don't believe I can do it with this background and I am now a teaching assistant in a primary school until I start Uni in Sept.
You have posted the same question in every forum. You may be better to make up your mind which country you are going before deciding on a career.