Bermuda Schools

Old Jun 22nd 2010, 5:37 pm
Just Joined

jonf is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bermuda Schools

Hi

I have applied for a job in Bermuda and was wondering about the schools. I have a 4 year old daughter who would be starting reception in September.

Having done a little research online I had a few questions.

1. Is it really impossible to get into the private schools? most sites seem to say they have big waiting lists at all ages?

2. Are the local schools that bad? one site hear compared a private school with UK state.

3. What do most people do with 4 year olds? most private schools seem to start at 5 / year 1?

Thanks for any help

Jon
Old Jun 24th 2010, 5:23 pm
Just Joined

lilyjosh0 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Bermuda Schools

Jon, we are in the process of moving to Bermuda. Our children are older than your daughter but we have visited Saltus, Bermuda High School for Girls and Warwick Academy and endlessly researched the school situation so I hope I can partly help.

There seemed to be no problem regarding admission to any of the schools for our children but as I say they are older and many locals seem to send their children to the USA or UK to board when they reach their teens which maybe means there are more places available at the older ages. I think it would be a good idea to ring or email each school and see what the situation would be for your daughter. I have found staff at all 3 schools very friendly and keen to help on the phone.

I didn't think any of the 3 schools were bad and each had its own strengths. My children are currently at private schools in the UK and if they were as young as your daughter I would say that the education in Bermuda would be every bit as good as the UK and would have no hesitation in moving them. Once you get to 6th form it's a little more difficult as A levels aren't available as an option. The schools may not seem as impressive as some UK private schools because there simply isn't the land to have a huge campus with acres of playing fields.

With regards to your third question again I would suggest that you email each school. Final point which may or may not help is that on our last visit several locals recommended highly the Bermuda High School for Girls.

Good luck with the job!
Old Jun 24th 2010, 8:05 pm
Just Joined

jonf is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks very much - I'm very keen to make the move but we have agreed that a lack of good schools is a deal breaker.

As soon as I make some progress with the application process I'll call the schools.

Thanks again and good luck with your move.
Old Jun 28th 2010, 9:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jon

I lived in Bermuda for a couple of years, I don't have children myself but I know plenty who do, locals and expats. I have heard a lot of comments about the quality of schooling in Bermuda, but have never, ever heard anyone say that it is difficult to get children into a school in Bermuda, so please don't let that fear put you off.

A couple of months ago I asked one of my friends from UK still out there for some thoughts on schools for another BE poster and their response is in this thread.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=659620