Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean
Reload this Page >

Bermuda Relocation package

Bermuda Relocation package

Old May 31st 2013, 8:44 pm
Just Joined

Alicetravel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bermuda Relocation package

Hi all,

I am likely to shortly be offered a post in Bermuda which attracts a salary of around $114,000. I am a single female, so I think this salary is manageable.

However, the relocation package I have been offered looks weak. Its been indicated that I will be offered an economy flight to Bermuda (no return ticket though), a one-off settlement allowance of $600, air freight shipping of 150kg of personal and professional possessions (but this only includes hauling from door to door and air freight costs - NOT customs duty, packing, insurance, storage etc). I have been advised that there will not be any housing supplied when I initially arrive nor any housing subsidy.

I have never been to Bermuda but have looked extensively at costs online. I live in Central London so housing is comparable in cost. However its not plentiful and I would not wish to take something on that I hadn't seen so surely temporary housing is a reasonable request?

What do people think? Many thanks for all your help in advance!!!
Old May 31st 2013, 10:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bermuda Relocation package

Absolutely - even if it is just a week or two in a hotel and rental of a moped. You shouldn't have to pay duty on your own belongings but a bit stingy if they wont pay insurance and storage if they are paying for the freight.

Love Bermuda - only went for 12 days but loved it.
Old May 31st 2013, 11:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

It does seem to be a bit strange. From the salary I'm guessing you're an accountant or lawyer. The wage is quite good (depending on your experience), and more than "manageable", the $600 seems reasonable, and the freight on 150kg looks very generous to me. (Who takes 150kg of personal effects to a temporary post overseas?) But in Cayman you would always get a week or two in a hotel to find a flat, and probably a rental car for the same period to help you get around and find your own car. It's also weird not to be given a return-ticket - or that the immigration authorities wouldn't insist on one.

I haven't lived in Bermuda, but I know several people who have, and I would have expected the relocation deal to be much the same as here.
Old Jun 1st 2013, 8:39 pm
Just Joined

Thanks guys,

I have spoken with my prospective employer and they have a department that will look for suitable accommodation on my behalf before I arrive (not really sure how this works as I would never sign to anything that I haven't seen!) but its a start. I have managed to negotiate a return flight and return air freight at the end of my contract.

I am not a lawyer or an accountant..... I'm a management consultant. And I'm female and 29 hence why the 150kg of personal possessions doesn't seem to be enough (that will just about cover the shoe collection!!)

Thanks again!
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 2:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

Oh don't take great shoes with you - they will fall apart. When I moved to Cayman, within a year most of my shoes were falling apart - the heat and rain will do that.
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 2:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Orangepants
Oh don't take great shoes with you - they will fall apart. When I moved to Cayman, within a year most of my shoes were falling apart - the heat and rain will do that.
In Bermuda, it's the mildew caused by dampness that will turn anything made of leather green, apart from your wallet, that is . Hence you need dehumidifiers and closet (strip) heaters* and to give everything a good airing from time to time. The humidity really sets in in late June and only retreats come mid-October when things get a bit more comfortable.

We live on the edge of the rainforest here in tropical damp-forest and the dampness is nowhere near as bad as Bermuda, for some strange reason.

That all said, it is one of the only major drawbacks to jolly old Bermuda but proximity to the ocean can cause issues with salt-spray damage to cars which can and typically do rust prematurely so they need proper rust treatment when you buy new and plenty of washing down after foul weather before the salt does its work.

*Sit your shoes on top of these low voltage tubes in your closet and let the air circulate to limit the potential for any mildew damage

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Jun 2nd 2013 at 2:06 pm.
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 2:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2
... [In Bermuda] proximity to the ocean can cause issues with salt-spray damage to cars which can and typically do rust prematurely so they need proper rust treatment when you buy new and plenty of washing down after foul weather before the salt does its work.
OR, buy a Toyota! We have two 13/14-year-old Toyotas here in Cayman-by-the-sea, and the only rust they're carrying is on the windscreen wipers, which are probably generic. We don't wash the cars from one month's end till the next. And when cars DO rust, they can be replaced for $4-5000 with "new" used ones shipped in from Japan. Do you know if that facility is available in Bermuda? (Do you have it in St Lucia?)
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 3:08 pm
Just Joined

Oh dear! I hadn't envisaged the humidity causing SO many issues! I have lived in SE Asia and presumed it would be similar to the summer weather there? All my shoes and handbags are leather....looks like I will need a few dehumidifiers! Luckily I have invested in good quality cotton and linen bedding so that should work. I won't be getting a car - more likely a moped or bicycle (keen cycler) but will still need to watch for rust.

Thanks so much!
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 3:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
OR, buy a Toyota! We have two 13/14-year-old Toyotas here in Cayman-by-the-sea, and the only rust they're carrying is on the windscreen wipers, which are probably generic. We don't wash the cars from one month's end till the next. And when cars DO rust, they can be replaced for $4-5000 with "new" used ones shipped in from Japan. Do you know if that facility is available in Bermuda? (Do you have it in St Lucia?)
Yep, we have the Japanese "new" used car facility here but it is expressly forbidden to import a second-hand car into Bermuda. You can however bring in your own car, so long as it meets with the engine-size and general size rules:

http://www.gov.bm/portal/server.pt/g...irements_0.pdf
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 3:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Alicetravel
Oh dear! I hadn't envisaged the humidity causing SO many issues! I have lived in SE Asia and presumed it would be similar to the summer weather there? All my shoes and handbags are leather....looks like I will need a few dehumidifiers! Luckily I have invested in good quality cotton and linen bedding so that should work. I won't be getting a car - more likely a moped or bicycle (keen cycler) but will still need to watch for rust.

Thanks so much!
You should be fine first off with just the closet heaters, but see how they go.

Moped or bike will be just fine, though you can break into a sweat real fast so maybe the moped is better, so you don't have to find a spot to regain your composure before you head to your office/desk . Be careful, the roads can sometimes be very slippery when wet as they don't use anti-skid surfaces and the water does not always run off easily, particularly when there is little or no camber.

Cotton is indeed desirable for clothing and sheets.
Old Jun 9th 2013, 2:00 pm
Just Joined

MSP1968 is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Moving to Bermuda with a 5 year old

Hi, I am thinking about moving to Bermuda with my son. I am divorced and my older son is at Uni in the UK for three years, so he wouldn't be coming to work for atleast three years if at all.

I have worked there before - 1990 for six months as a temp with a recruitment agency in Hamilton.

What kind of salary can we live off, state versus private school, good companies to work for (secretarial qualified/Nursey Nurse qualified), where is safe to live just the two of us and basically can anyone tell me more as I know the island will have changed in 20 odd years.

Thank you so much.