Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean
Reload this Page >

Banning plastic & styrofoam

Banning plastic & styrofoam

Old Sep 22nd 2018, 12:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Banning plastic & styrofoam

I see that Grenada, Dominica and Jamaica have just passed laws banning some or all of single-use plastic bags, plastic straws and styrofoam. Can anybody tell me how that's working out, in all three islands? Cayman doesn't have any such law yet - and it's highly unlikely our rulers will ban styrofoam***, but there's bound to be some kind of plastics ban, and I'd like to be ready for it.
*** Ken Dart is our #1 investor and benefactor, and owns the world's biggest manufacturer of styrofoam products. So it would be pretty rude and ungrateful to ban the fount of his financial resources!
Old Nov 13th 2018, 5:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Banning plastic & styrofoam

https://www.wri.org/blog/2018/08/ban...lastic-problem
There's still talk here in Cayman about banning plastic straws and plastic bags, but nothing about all the myriad other uses of plastic. Indeed, as I sit here at my desktop computer, I have within reach the following things made (at least partially) of plastic:- keyboard, screen, computer, console, mouse and pad, printer, speakers, office chair, stapler, earphones, sundry cords, flip-flops and shoes, stand-up fan, three surge-suppressors, TV and remote, phone set, a travel bag, shoes, and five ball-point pens. All those things must be infinitely more threatening to the health of the planet than the plastic bags and straws in the kitchen, so is it worth while holding myself aloof from the latter? I can't be the only person reading this thread who finds it hard to get indignant about plastic-use, when so many manufacturers are going full-blast ahead with it. Modern life would quickly grind to a halt, if we dispensed with everything that contains plastic.

Any thoughts on the matter?
Old Nov 13th 2018, 8:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

It is an interesting exercise to do a plastic audit. One way of doing is to put aside the disposable plastic that you would normally throw out. At the end of the montth look at what you have.
Old Nov 13th 2018, 1:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scot, I was surprised at how many objects I identified when I was writing my post! And all those were just within my reach! It's pretty much a hopeless task, to remove all plastic from my life - which is why I am strongly inclined to ignore the calls to stop using plastic shopping bags. We already collect "recyclables" and take them out to the official bins out at the supermarket, and yes it is quite a bundle. Sigh. What to do?
Old Nov 13th 2018, 3:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

The ban on plastic bags - or where I live the 5 pence levy - is f*rting against the wind, but we have to start somewhere. I was made aware of this idea of "plastic-free" by an ultra-lefty super-green pal in Berlin. When I look at my daily use od disposables just for blood sugar monitoring and insulin usage, I know how difficult it will be !
Old Nov 17th 2018, 7:19 pm
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Problem here is that it wasnt thought out properly. Buying soup in a cardboard tub is no joke - they just dont work. They ban plastic carrier bags in shops but those are all recycled antway and are of the degradable type. People fill them with rubbish and send rhem to landfill which makes the place tidier. Now peopke are trying paper bags, guess shat, theybdint work so rubbish gets strewn around - sigh...
Old Nov 17th 2018, 8:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Also... those plastic shopping bags do not last for 400 years, as the early warnings used to tell us. If you shove them in a drawer for 12 months they fall apart. So I don't think they are much of a danger to the world and our environment. If I ran the world (and were really, really worried about the over-use of plastics) I would select something more dangerous and less long-lasting than shopping bags and plastic straws. I'd probably start with that tough plastic covering-stuff that requires a very sharp pair of scissors to cut away.
Old Nov 17th 2018, 8:46 pm

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Bloody annoying those bags aren’t they- I now make sure I don’t use em for storing anything
Old Nov 17th 2018, 8:49 pm

Plastics far too useful to dispose if except in tiny amounts, I say ban drinks in plastic, back to recycling glass ( which would also mean less co2 in coke) and force cars to have plastics recycled - return to maker for free built into the sale price which is what happens now with IT kit
Old Nov 17th 2018, 8:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The latest fad here is to ban plastic straws. If we were serious about the whole thing we would ban private cars and make it illegal to have more than 2 children.
Old Nov 17th 2018, 8:50 pm

Then we tax tourists esp cruise ships till they scream for environmental damage
Old Nov 20th 2018, 1:41 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I'm quite surprised by the lack of knowledge displayed here , or is that a bit deliberate in some way.

It is not just where plastic bags end up that is an issue. It is also the way that plastic bags degrade that is the problemo here. Same ref. straws . Balloons etc.

Yes. I totally agree Scot47. People need to start wanting less. Not opt for the cheap easy options & not be so throwaway all the time.

Using a plastic bag more than once doesn't make it OK. That bag will still degrade in a way to harm the environment, ecosystems and wildlife.

If people want a natural world - any sort of remaining natural world - for the future then something needs to give and we might as well start small if that is what it takes and start now, right now.
Old Nov 20th 2018, 10:12 am

Firstly just a slightly esoteric note. We don’t live in a ‘natural’ World’ whatever that means, it’s a variety of anthromorphic term. We are top predators here. For millennia we have made our world to suit us by playing with species and modelling our landscape. Almost all countrysides are now man made.

Plastic is a very valuable resource as a cow or a dog is a resource. We must husband it for maximum usage and to not damage ourselves effectively, BUT the idea that is peddled that plastic generically in our environment is so harmful is frankly rubbish itself. Gosh yes there are seabirds and fish killed by plastic ‘traps’ which we designed badly and there are a few plastics that can emit estrogenic materials, again, we did a bad design job, but the humble plastic bag that is reusable is of great benefit. Some Governments simply found a new way of taxing people by shouting ‘poor fish’ and the gullible followers who prefer their poisons in eco car batteries follow ...
Old Dec 17th 2018, 10:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
... as I sit here at my desktop computer, I have within reach the following things made (at least partially) of plastic:- keyboard, screen, computer, console, mouse and pad, printer, speakers, office chair, stapler, earphones, sundry cords, flip-flops and shoes, stand-up fan, three surge-suppressors, TV and remote, phone set, a travel bag, shoes, and five ball-point pens.
The above is from an earlier post of mine. Bev, you criticised my lack of knowledge, yet you failed to put your own knowledge out there. What plastic items do you have within reach, which you could and should do without? I'd be interested to know what other BE members have within reach, too. Believe me, there is a world of plastic stuff besides shopping bags and straws, and a lot more dangerous. I don't think there is any virtue in limiting our concern to those petty items.
Old Dec 17th 2018, 11:04 pm

Plastics - polymers are valuable - a good use of oil or cellulose (yes you can make plastics and detergents from plants too) and much better than just burning these things in our car engines. Plastics should be freely used, but recycled where possible into other useful things.

As previously said, if you buy into the new eco warrior chant 'save the whale, buy soup in cardboard' you are deluded imho. Be sensible, use materials sensibly, recycle where possible, but you know what, on small caribbean islands we cant do an aweful lot of that, we must make careful choices about what we let arrive here and what we make people take home. In the maldives hotels have had signs for decades - take your batteries home, we cant recycle them, they poison our waters, but yet now - lets drive cars on small islands with thousands of LITHIUM batteries that will never be exported...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.