Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean
Reload this Page >

Anyone Living In St Martin?

Anyone Living In St Martin?

Old Apr 19th 2009, 7:07 pm
Banned

fabledbananna is just really nicefabledbananna is just really nicefabledbananna is just really nicefabledbananna is just really nicefabledbananna is just really nicefabledbananna is just really nicefabledbananna is just really nicefabledbananna is just really nicefabledbananna is just really nicefabledbananna is just really nice
Default Re: Anyone Living In St Martin?

Originally Posted by pgtips
I think this needs a little further investigation. St Martin is a very small island and if the whole of Europe could just turn up and stay indefinately I am sure it would sink under the sea
That's exactly my point. Just checked their immigration website and it says EU members don't need a visditors visa, just a return ticket!
Old May 7th 2009, 4:46 pm
Just Joined

nylorac is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes my husband and I moved to St MARTIN last December and we absolutely love it. I am working as a consultant, so just needed access to internet which was no problem. We rent a 2 bed apartment in Baie Nettle which is really convenient for both french and dutch main towns.

Shopping is cheaper and better on the Dutch side, a 10 minute drive. It is like a little bit of Europe in the Caribbean and much easier to live here than St Lucia where we were working before. Jobs are not freely available so beware, you need to speak French to really get a job on this side although everyone speaks English. Dutch side only really employs Antillean passport holders.

We have a great lifestyle and have no regrets!

Old May 15th 2009, 10:33 am
Just Joined

mattie is just really nicemattie is just really nicemattie is just really nicemattie is just really nicemattie is just really nicemattie is just really nicemattie is just really nicemattie is just really nice

Originally Posted by fabledbananna
So basically I can just turn up at the airport.....

Immigration officer: Morning Sir, what is the purpose of your trip?

Me: "Well I thought I'd spend a few weeks here, if I like it then try and get myself a job and never return to Blighty".

Immigration officer: "Enjoy, and good luck".

Why should'nt we ? everyone else does when coming to this country (uk) !!
We should not be made to fell guilty when moving to another country.
Old May 15th 2009, 6:33 pm
Banned

fabledbananna is just really nicefabledbananna is just really nicefabledbananna is just really nicefabledbananna is just really nicefabledbananna is just really nicefabledbananna is just really nicefabledbananna is just really nicefabledbananna is just really nicefabledbananna is just really nicefabledbananna is just really nice

Originally Posted by nylorac
Yes my husband and I moved to St MARTIN last December and we absolutely love it. I am working as a consultant, so just needed access to internet which was no problem. We rent a 2 bed apartment in Baie Nettle which is really convenient for both french and dutch main towns.

Shopping is cheaper and better on the Dutch side, a 10 minute drive. It is like a little bit of Europe in the Caribbean and much easier to live here than St Lucia where we were working before. Jobs are not freely available so beware, you need to speak French to really get a job on this side although everyone speaks English. Dutch side only really employs Antillean passport holders.

How much is cost of living there?
What do you pay for an internet connection?
And more importantly, do they have premiership football???????
Old May 25th 2009, 4:42 pm
Just Joined

sheppy100 is an unknown quantity at this point

How much is cost of living there?
What do you pay for an internet connection?
And more importantly, do they have premiership football???????
Ok, I'm fasinated....I have been to St Martin, (both dutch and french sides) and loved it...

I am a single female brit looking to move overseas, and am completely open minded, but as a solo traveller, (and a little mature for a 'gap year', 41 to be precise) I am a little hesitant. I have to admit St Martin never occured to me! I work in 'visitor attraction', (think museums, science centres, or anywhere you might go for a day out), managment, but can turn my hand to anything in the customer service/tourist sectors. What might the opportunities in employment be in St Martin??

Oh, and does anyone ever use the chat rooms on here??

thanks in advance for any advice..tips...

Also, can anyone recommed a hotel in St martin, and flights, how best to get there..I might just have to do a reccy visit!

Last edited by sheppy100; May 25th 2009 at 5:16 pm. Reason: addition
Old Jun 18th 2009, 8:59 pm
Just Joined

lifeisgoo0d is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sheppy100
Ok, I'm fasinated....I have been to St Martin, (both dutch and french sides) and loved it...

I am a single female brit looking to move overseas, and am completely open minded, but as a solo traveller, (and a little mature for a 'gap year', 41 to be precise) I am a little hesitant. I have to admit St Martin never occured to me! I work in 'visitor attraction', (think museums, science centres, or anywhere you might go for a day out), managment, but can turn my hand to anything in the customer service/tourist sectors. What might the opportunities in employment be in St Martin??

Oh, and does anyone ever use the chat rooms on here??

thanks in advance for any advice..tips...

Also, can anyone recommed a hotel in St martin, and flights, how best to get there..I might just have to do a reccy visit!
I am with you, sheepy! A friend brought that little island to my attention as an option, and we're planning a scouting trip towards the end of the year.

Any information on reasonable housing for a month is greatly appreciated!!

I lived in the USA for 10 years, moved back to Austria and have to get away sooner rather than later!!
Although I'm a 43yr. old guy I am curious: I heard rumors that the crime rate is kind of high, even that it is recommended for single female travellers to hire a bodyguard???
Thanks for any help!!!

Last edited by lifeisgoo0d; Jun 18th 2009 at 9:09 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Jun 19th 2009, 8:44 am
Wanna-be Canadian

loser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant future

"Bodyguard" ???

As far as I know, St Martin is one of the safest islands in the Caribbean, sure, there are certain 'no go' areas, but most of the island is very safe, unlike Jamaica for example.

M.
Old Jun 29th 2009, 1:58 pm
Just Joined

erikri is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Everybody. I live in Sweden where I work as a technical officer in the army. However, now I'm going to leave the army to become an AC/cooling-technichian.
Me and my wife visited St Martin last year for our honeymoon and fell in love with the place. We have decided that if we does'nt get any children in the next three years we will move there.

Most people on this forum seems to work in museums, hotels etc.

I figured that even though there is no other industries than tourism there must be a place for me with my general technical background?

Am I right or am I wrong? thankful for answers!
Old Aug 26th 2009, 11:19 am
Just Joined

IT_M0nk3y is an unknown quantity at this point

That's exactly my point. Just checked their immigration website and it says EU members don't need a visditors visa, just a return ticket!
I've never really understood why they require a return ticket TBH as you can buy a single to mainland France, but there you go!

I too am one of those who is planning to up sticks and drag my wife and kid kicking and screaming to the island. My question is that I am planning to start a consultancy business on the island and I know that I can start my business on the French side and serve clients on the French side, but would my business be allowed to have clients on the Dutch side also?

It would certainly make things easier as it would double my target audience, so here's hoping
Old Aug 26th 2009, 2:59 pm

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nylorac

Good on you, where there is a will there is a way. Enjoy yourselves
Old Aug 28th 2009, 2:23 pm
Just Joined

Warwick is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All,

(SNIP)
I am a UK citizen but been living in the US for the last 15 months - my visa has not been extended so need to move out. As I am busy growing a business in the US I have chosen St Martin as the most convenient place where I can live without any red tape (French side at least) - set up my office there and run the business in the US from the island. Will probably be moving there late September.......so the adventure begins but I am sure it will be a great one. Anyone wanting more info on starting island life feel free to contact me from mid-October and I will answer any questions that I can from a newbie perspective!

W

Last edited by Mitzyboy; Sep 5th 2009 at 8:04 am.
Old Sep 5th 2009, 1:22 am
Just Joined

cull0086 is an unknown quantity at this point

Warwick,
I am very interested in gathering more information on the requirements for gaining employment on St Maarten. I am moving to the Island in early November from the United States. I am a United States citizen, and i am trying to find out what steps I need to take to make myself eligible for employment on the island.

Any info helps!

Thanks
Old Sep 5th 2009, 3:01 pm
Just Joined

Hey Cull - I will see what I can find out. Although as a UK passport holder the theory is that I should have no issues settling and working there - at least on the French side. Which side are you looking at? I have heard that work visas are not easy to come by - especially on the Dutch side.
Will be heading down on the 18th September to look for an apartment.

Will advise if I hear anything.

W
Old Sep 7th 2009, 6:51 pm
Just Joined

Phone the "hotel de la collectivite" in Marigot today to enquire as to what I needed to do once I got to the island - i.e. in terms of registering etc. I was told I needed to do absolutely nothing - the last official I spoke to said "deposez vos valises et profitez de St Martin" (put down your bags and enjoy St Martin). So.... I am sure that there will be issues regards taxes and health insurance etc that will require more red tape - but certainly in terms of getting settled on the French side there seem to be no restrictions for EU citizens.
Old Sep 12th 2009, 8:16 am

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by loser40
"Bodyguard" ???

As far as I know, St Martin is one of the safest islands in the Caribbean, sure, there are certain 'no go' areas, but most of the island is very safe, unlike Jamaica for example.

M.
Jamaica, although supposedly unsafe in some parts still manages to get record numbers of tourist visiting each year. I wonder why ? Maybe people want a bit of excitement and to live life to the thrill !!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.