Antigua

Old Jan 12th 2021, 11:08 pm
Forum Regular

StillSearching has a reputation beyond reputeStillSearching has a reputation beyond reputeStillSearching has a reputation beyond reputeStillSearching has a reputation beyond reputeStillSearching has a reputation beyond reputeStillSearching has a reputation beyond reputeStillSearching has a reputation beyond reputeStillSearching has a reputation beyond reputeStillSearching has a reputation beyond reputeStillSearching has a reputation beyond reputeStillSearching has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Antigua

Yes, uk_grenada. Agree on all your points.
I see your point that walled off expat subdivisions look like the owners living there are making a statement that a country is dangerous and they don't like unexpected visitors around.
However, gated communities are very common all over around the world; they mostly don't like occasional visitors just looking around.

Interesting about the wood. Thank you!

I think there is no wood left in Antigua any more for making furniture. Because of horrendous deforestation, they have water shortage problem. Very stupid what they did. Unsustainable.

Regarding "but most death is about the drug trade infighting", I wouldn't minimize it as a threat to your safety. Look at Puerto Rico, for example. It is a hub for transporting drugs. PR is at the top of a list for homicides and suicides (maybe not "suicides" but listed as such?) in the whole world. People don't trust the police and people are buying guns for self-protection. PR is flooded with legal and mostly illegal guns.

In a country with this situation, good people are leaving and a country gets poorer. The rest of the population gets desperate and some start attacking not only their own people, but also expats and tourists. This is a common pattern in the countries which are hubs for drugs trafficking.

You are correct about st lucia. They are killing their golden goose and a revenue from tourists and expats goes down as a result.

Last edited by StillSearching; Jan 12th 2021 at 11:29 pm.
Old Jan 13th 2021, 9:53 am
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

I think Antigua was never a wet island, it doesnt have the geography for it, tall islands like st lucia and grenada make their own climates, and the internal high rainforests drive high rainfall and forestation = great agriculture = abundant good local cheapish food. Its a meaningful factor in choosing where to live.

Puerto Rico is america, so it has american problems. We have gun control, anyone of means and no criminal record can have a license and own one, but they arent common. Trinidad - despite its drug crime would actually be my second choice, for its low cost, good infrastructure and surprisingly good countryside, its a bit of a hidden gem, tourists go to tobago not trinidad so trinidad is actually nicer. While people there are very conscious of security, ive never seen or even heard about problems for my friends there.

Trinis weekend in tobago, the 3 hour trip costs 7us return on the ferry or 35us return to fly or take your car on the ferry.
Old Jan 19th 2021, 6:14 am
Forum Regular

StillSearching has a reputation beyond reputeStillSearching has a reputation beyond reputeStillSearching has a reputation beyond reputeStillSearching has a reputation beyond reputeStillSearching has a reputation beyond reputeStillSearching has a reputation beyond reputeStillSearching has a reputation beyond reputeStillSearching has a reputation beyond reputeStillSearching has a reputation beyond reputeStillSearching has a reputation beyond reputeStillSearching has a reputation beyond repute

Antigua had lush rainforests many years ago.
1)The sugar plantation boom which started in 17th century was the beginning of deforestation.
2)Then cotton plantations.
3)Brits were using timber for shipbuilding.

No forest --> no fresh water.

But you are right, Antigua is much drier than Grenada. Antigua's rainfall averages 990 mm per year and Grenada's 3,500 mm on the mountainsides to 1,500 mm in the lowlands. Indeed they grow more vegies and fruits in Grenada.
Old Jan 19th 2021, 6:20 am
Forum Regular

uk_grenada,
By my quick research, renting in Grenada is half the price for the same in Antigua, but buying a property is triple. Is it true?
Old Jan 19th 2021, 12:13 pm

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

IMHO no to both, renting is distorted just now as the students who rent most are mainly absent, and buying is probably very similar but of course there are lots of factors influencing this, including taxes you might or not have to pay plus chancer selllers who arent really selling, just hopeful...
Old Jan 19th 2021, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by StillSearching
Antigua had lush rainforests many years ago.
1)The sugar plantation boom which started in 17th century was the beginning of deforestation.
2)Then cotton plantations.
3)Brits were using timber for shipbuilding.

No forest --> no fresh water.

But you are right, Antigua is much drier than Grenada. Antigua's rainfall averages 990 mm per year and Grenada's 3,500 mm on the mountainsides to 1,500 mm in the lowlands. Indeed they grow more vegies and fruits in Grenada.
I just dont believe they had rainforest, look at similar geological undisturbed islands like dominica. It never had the profile to support rainforest which in the caribbean only ever occurs at altitude. Other forest types maybe. Deforestation is only possible because of the easy terrain, lending its use to agriculture, you just couldnt do it here. Deforestation in this century doesnt seem to be an issue - well the stats i read werent very clear.

NB Its the other way round normally - Firstly it was logwood plantations - then cotton became sugar which later diversified further as people became more intelligent re land use. We went cocoa at low altitudes and nutmeg at altitude for example.
Old Jan 21st 2021, 3:39 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by uk_grenada
IMHO no to both, renting is distorted just now as the students who rent most are mainly absent, and buying is probably very similar but of course there are lots of factors influencing this, including taxes you might or not have to pay plus chancer selllers who arent really selling, just hopeful...
Yes, agree. This comparison information on prices usually comes from scraping sites which are showing seller's wish prices. The real picture is different.
Old Jan 21st 2021, 4:14 am
Forum Regular

I just dont believe they had rainforest, look at similar geological undisturbed islands like dominica. It never had the profile to support rainforest which in the caribbean only ever occurs at altitude. Other forest types maybe. Deforestation is only possible because of the easy terrain, lending its use to agriculture, you just couldnt do it here. Deforestation in this century doesnt seem to be an issue - well the stats i read werent very clear.

NB Its the other way round normally - Firstly it was logwood plantations - then cotton became sugar which later diversified further as people became more intelligent re land use. We went cocoa at low altitudes and nutmeg at altitude for example.
You can see from this data that deforestation is still an issue:
https://rainforests.mongabay.com/def...nd_Barbuda.htm
Presently deforestation occurs due to new construction, not agriculture.

I agree, it is difficult to imagine a vast rain forest in a place without mountains and rivers and low precipitation. But there are still some pockets there with a micro climate of a rain forest and they have specific only for rain forest inhabitants, like frogs. Grenada has truly dense rain forest due to warmer and rainier climate.

But if to compare Antigua to Grenada, Antigua doesn't tax on world earned income, but Grenada does. Grenada has a tax treaty with 12 countries and citizens of other countries will be under double taxation. It is an important factor for someone who would like to move to Grenada. It is fine for brits, but not for other.

Old Jan 21st 2021, 4:19 am
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Antigua

Originally Posted by PeachesandCream
Hi everyone,

my husband is trained in a tonne of things but primarily is a football/soccer coach
Actually, I came across one video that parents are complaining that there is a lack of after-school activities and they would love to see their kids doing team sport. Perhaps there is a chance for a football/soccer coach to find a job there.
Old Jan 22nd 2021, 9:22 am

Check with a proper accountant. Grenada has dual taxation protections but does not itself tax on off island income so - if you are tax resident here and nowhere else disagrees with that statement your non island income is tax free. This is one reason we have plenty of extremely rich people living here. https://migronis-citizenship.com/blo...-peculiarities

Of course americans are globally screwed by their government. NB the new offshore is hong kong, they dont disclose anything to anyone.
Old Jan 22nd 2021, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by StillSearching
Actually, I came across one video that parents are complaining that there is a lack of after-school activities and they would love to see their kids doing team sport. Perhaps there is a chance for a football/soccer coach to find a job there.
While some parents want some more coaches, thats irrelevant. You cant get a work permit unless a company wants to pay for one every year, and can prove to immigration they cant find one on the island [not a chance.]
Old Jan 22nd 2021, 11:26 am
Forum Regular

Grenada has dual taxation protections but does not itself tax on off island income so - if you are tax resident here and nowhere else disagrees with that statement your non island income is tax free. This is one reason we have plenty of extremely rich people living here. https://migronis-citizenship.com/blo...-peculiarities
It is interesting. I've got wrong information regarding taxation. Thank you.
So, weather is practically the same for both.
Lesser risk of hurricanes in Grenada.
Water security in Grenada.
Higher unemployment in Grenada meaning cheaper labor than in Antigua.
Nice beaches and mountains in Grenada.
All these good.

Direct flights are almost all the same except to UK (not from Grenada).
Where would you fly for a quality health care from Grenada?
Old Jan 22nd 2021, 11:45 am

The private hospital here is fine, but for big/complex - Barbados, Trinidad less than an hour, Miami or London 6-10. Actually if you are paying the best option is London then fly on to Belgium or Spain.

You forgot the biggest incentive - here is pretty much crime free.