winter number 4

Old Mar 17th 2015, 11:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

scootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: winter number 4

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
I agree, i dont think anyone that moved to Southern Ontario can complain about the winters, we all knew it was going to be cold! Why is such a shock? Alberta yes i can empathise but southern Ontario, we just suck it up, its winter in Canada and just think of the the summer to come.

Personally I think the great thing is that yes 5 months of winter, whcih you can do outdoors stuff, skiiing, snowmobling, ice fishing, and then comes 5 months of summer, or at least time where you can do summer things, and a summer that you can count on (ok last year was a bit crappy but still better....than the 2-3 weeks we would get when living in the UK. I think winter is just that, winter. I cant understand why its a dealbreaker when people knew that Canada was cold in winter in the first place! We get half winter half summer, with a couple of "in betweeny" months.

Its spring now, so everything is on the up! soon have the boat out!

Well put!!!
I love Alberta,if its really cold I'll break out my thermals which so far I have only worn 1 day at an ice festival lol.
Old Mar 18th 2015, 3:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Poppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond repute

We've had a fabulous winter here in Calgary this year; makes up for the snow, snow, and more snow last year. I actually don't mind the winters - blue sky and sunshine most days, and not too many cold days.

I prefer the weather here to that in the North West of England where it rained and rained. Summers are quite good too but the mozzies spoil it - they love me.

I had to smile at the golf post - we rent a house that backs on to a golf course, and I can't wait for it to close, and dread it reopening because we get no peace. I must remember not to buy a house next to a golf course.
Old Mar 18th 2015, 4:17 pm
Just Joined

what_if is an unknown quantity at this point

Are they constantly playing thru your garden lol.
Old Mar 18th 2015, 5:06 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scootb
Well put!!!
I love Alberta,if its really cold I'll break out my thermals which so far I have only worn 1 day at an ice festival lol.
We have family in Alberta...and I didn't want to live near them because I thought it was too cold Now when my kid wants to make me go balistic he gently hums 'It's begining to look a lot like Christmas'.

I actually don't mind the snow....well a bit less of it woud be nice right now....it's when it all blows around or turns to ice and every step is periolous. Also, just the length of the thing.... I didn't mind a couple of months back, it was winter! Now I want to walk, and run, and wear pretty clothes that don't make me look like Nanook of the North....I cross country ski, and snow shoe, because I should...not because I want to.

Just like you what_if, the moment my son finishes High School I shall become a snow bird, or indeed return to Europe. My Canadian husband is leading the charge...he loves Canada, but somehow forgot the joy of snow shovelling every morning...when the summer comes, it's difficult to remember exactly how horrid the winter was... it will soon be gone
Old Mar 19th 2015, 1:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Poppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond repute

Hi What-if

The putting green is next to our garden, so come 6:15 am the putters will be out laughing and joking, so it can be a little irritating when you don't want to get up at the crack of dawn at the weekend.

It can be like living in a gold fish bowl. No privacy when they are peering into your garden. Are mistake so no point stressing too much about it.

It's noisy while they are putting all the buggies out too! It's great in the winter though. just some of the things you don't necessarily consider when you choose a house. When I buy I"ll be very careful.

Poppit
Old Mar 19th 2015, 1:15 pm
Just Joined

what_if is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh dear it sounds like your place is close to the clubhouse/first tee/practice putting green where everybody meets and greets before teeing off. I feel your pain as Canadian golfers are the noisiest I've ever met (they'd be strangled at most UK courses lol) They just don't do etiquette but to be fair golf is not taken very seriously here as it's a short season. Not so bad if you had bought overlooking the 7th fairway. We live and learn eh!
Old Mar 22nd 2015, 1:09 pm
Just Joined

Golfnutgirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Poppit your house sounds just perfect for me - nothing better than being up at the crack of dawn to play golf - am officially jealous!!
Old Mar 22nd 2015, 4:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Golfnut Girl you are welcome to it.

And yes, crack of dawn is when it all starts. No sleeping in for us.

Poppit