Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

We survived the move

We survived the move

Old Dec 16th 2011, 1:15 am
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute
Default We survived the move

Looking back, we have had the worst first year anyone could wish for. the things that happened to us should not happen to anyone and I sincerely hope that for many it is everything they had wished for.

The nightmare for us began when we could not sell the house in the Uk. I moved over to LaSalle nr Windsor Ontario at the end of August 2010 with our two sons so that we could get them into school in the September. We moved into a very good friends basement for the first six weeks.

We had emptied the house and shipped pretty much everything, but my husband ended up going back to live in the empty Uk house, borrowing the odd stick of furniture. We thought it would only be for a couple of months.....fifteen months later the house finally sold and my husband arrived here for good on 8th December. We lost a shed load of money along the way with the recession stripping the exchange rate brutally and the final down valuing of our house we were not well off.

After the first six weeks the furniture arrived and we moved into our first rental home. That belonged to a friend and was in very poor shape. she charged an extortionate rent and everytime something broke down she refused to fix it. She then discussed all our business with our other Uk friends and was the bitch from hell. Needless to say the bitch is no longer a friend, because we were in danger of running out of money, she issued us with an eviction notice just after Christmas to be out by 9th January 2011. We managed to find another rental and moved an entire 40'container of furniture and effect with the help of a couple of loyal friends. i will be forever in your debt. not only did you help me to move ...not once but 3 times in a short space of time, but you supported me and the boys through thick and thin...Thank you from the bottom of my heart...you know who you are!

Then we moved into a house which was up for sale and that sold quite quickly and we were on the move again. During this time, my eldest son completely flipped out and was really unhappy here [16 ] and made life very difficult for both me and his younger brother. eventually a decision was made that he should return to the Uk to live in the house with his dad until it sold and to go back to school to sit his A Levels. once the house sold my son would move in with his friend for the next two years. All the best laid plans went completely out of the window when his friend could not have him as his grandmothers on both sides were very ill and may be in need of the room he was to occupy.

the next move brought us to our current rental which we have for a minimum of a year. Now the UK house has sold and we are at last all together, we are planning to be in our own place by the summer. i have a very good job....but it took me about six months to get it and I am working for a friend. My husband has also just started with the same company and things are now looking much brighter.

I had got down to my last $34 at one point and was literally living on my nerves. We survived it all and it is only because of the very good friends we had made.....Did I consider going back...honestly....YES you bet I did. Am I glad I didnt, you bet I am. everything happens for a reason...and we are much stronger as a result of the trials and tribulations we have been through. what a rollercoaster of a first year we have had. now I have a disgruntled older son...back in Canada and still not wanting to be here. As I said....everything happens for a reason.

So for those of you who find yourselves with a similar deck of cards....keep the belief that it will come right in the end.

Stef
Old Dec 16th 2011, 10:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: We survived the move

Here's to a happy and more settled 2012!!
Old Dec 16th 2011, 10:37 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Holy crap!
You have been through a lot in your first year but here's hoping you get to settle in 2012!

As you say, everything happens for a reason and you have truly found out who your friends are very quickly.

Here's to you
Old Dec 17th 2011, 2:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Poppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond repute

So pleased to hear that you have survived your first year in Canada. Moving, is stressful, so I can't imagine what you've been through, but so glad you have come out the other end.

As you say, things happen for a reason, and it can only get easier.

We arrived mid July 2010; however, I was really fortunate and got a teaching position really quickly, and now I'm permanent. My husband also got a job quickly, but hated it, stuck it out until he got another job, which he enjoyed but it was only part time, hence little money. He has a great job now (money wise) but is bored rigid, pace is too slow. But we're fortunate, and we appreciate how lucky we are. And to 'top it all off', our son (now 25) came for a visit in April after breaking up from a long term relationship, and is still here - now on a working holiday visa. He always said he wasn't coming to live here, however, he's here, working and loves it, now doesn't ever want to go back.

So I hope your son eventually realises what you have given up so that you can all have a better life. 16 / 17 is a very difficult age, I know my son would have 'dug his heels in' at that age.

Anyway, good luck all of you, have a wonderful christmas together as a family; no one knows what the future holds.

Bless you all.

Poppit.

Old Dec 17th 2011, 2:29 am
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all your good wishes...Have a fantastic Christmas everyone
Stef
Old Dec 17th 2011, 10:58 am
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

wow that is tough. It always amazes me how so called friends can behave, I mean did that friend honestly believe he/she was doing the right thing charging extortionate rent to you for that place.
Anyway, as you rightly said, you toughed it out and now you are all together and still in Canada. Heres to the new year to you and your family
Old Dec 17th 2011, 3:10 pm
Forum Regular

Optimistic Pessimist is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow that is an amazingly tough year.

I admire your strength and determination.

Here's hoping for a fantastic 2012 for your family, you deserve it
Old Dec 18th 2011, 12:24 am
Forum Regular

Mhut is a jewel in the roughMhut is a jewel in the roughMhut is a jewel in the roughMhut is a jewel in the rough

Wishing you very very happy and prosperous new year 2012

I am crapping it as we make our final move permanent move over in March.

Good luck with your future plans

Mhut
Old Dec 18th 2011, 12:42 am
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

Glad to hear that things are moving in the right direction for you! Things do happen for a reason thats true but sometimes you wonder why and what!!!
Old Dec 18th 2011, 3:41 am
Forum Regular

samjr400 is an unknown quantity at this point

Lets hope you have a much better 2012 and good on you all for sticking it out.
Old Dec 19th 2011, 9:39 am
Forum Regular

huddersfieldlass is just really nicehuddersfieldlass is just really nicehuddersfieldlass is just really nicehuddersfieldlass is just really nicehuddersfieldlass is just really nicehuddersfieldlass is just really nicehuddersfieldlass is just really nicehuddersfieldlass is just really nice

Originally Posted by lins and Stef McLachlan
Looking back, we have had the worst first year anyone could wish for. the things that happened to us should not happen to anyone and I sincerely hope that for many it is everything they had wished for.

The nightmare for us began when we could not sell the house in the Uk. I moved over to LaSalle nr Windsor Ontario at the end of August 2010 with our two sons so that we could get them into school in the September. We moved into a very good friends basement for the first six weeks.

We had emptied the house and shipped pretty much everything, but my husband ended up going back to live in the empty Uk house, borrowing the odd stick of furniture. We thought it would only be for a couple of months.....fifteen months later the house finally sold and my husband arrived here for good on 8th December. We lost a shed load of money along the way with the recession stripping the exchange rate brutally and the final down valuing of our house we were not well off.

After the first six weeks the furniture arrived and we moved into our first rental home. That belonged to a friend and was in very poor shape. she charged an extortionate rent and everytime something broke down she refused to fix it. She then discussed all our business with our other Uk friends and was the bitch from hell. Needless to say the bitch is no longer a friend, because we were in danger of running out of money, she issued us with an eviction notice just after Christmas to be out by 9th January 2011. We managed to find another rental and moved an entire 40'container of furniture and effect with the help of a couple of loyal friends. i will be forever in your debt. not only did you help me to move ...not once but 3 times in a short space of time, but you supported me and the boys through thick and thin...Thank you from the bottom of my heart...you know who you are!

Then we moved into a house which was up for sale and that sold quite quickly and we were on the move again. During this time, my eldest son completely flipped out and was really unhappy here [16 ] and made life very difficult for both me and his younger brother. eventually a decision was made that he should return to the Uk to live in the house with his dad until it sold and to go back to school to sit his A Levels. once the house sold my son would move in with his friend for the next two years. All the best laid plans went completely out of the window when his friend could not have him as his grandmothers on both sides were very ill and may be in need of the room he was to occupy.

the next move brought us to our current rental which we have for a minimum of a year. Now the UK house has sold and we are at last all together, we are planning to be in our own place by the summer. i have a very good job....but it took me about six months to get it and I am working for a friend. My husband has also just started with the same company and things are now looking much brighter.

I had got down to my last $34 at one point and was literally living on my nerves. We survived it all and it is only because of the very good friends we had made.....Did I consider going back...honestly....YES you bet I did. Am I glad I didnt, you bet I am. everything happens for a reason...and we are much stronger as a result of the trials and tribulations we have been through. what a rollercoaster of a first year we have had. now I have a disgruntled older son...back in Canada and still not wanting to be here. As I said....everything happens for a reason.

So for those of you who find yourselves with a similar deck of cards....keep the belief that it will come right in the end.

Stef
Wow! My thoughts are with you guys!

We went through a similar experience (though not quite as bad). We also lost a shed load of money (more than expected) when we emigrated here. Although to be fair we totally underestimated the cost of five moves. I won't even go into the stress involved! Thats another story! However now after nearly five years we are in our own (heavily mortgaged) home and kids are all happy (most of the time).

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but hey they say was doesn't kill you makes you stronger!

Happy Christmas and a better new year xx
Old Dec 20th 2011, 12:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

I'm so glad you could post a positive outcome at the end of the description of a very traumatic start. i remember when you were posting last year full of excitement and hope without any idea of what is to come.

I truly hope that the future holds everything you wish it does.

Happy Christmas and have a fantastic 2012!
Old Dec 21st 2011, 11:02 am
Forum Regular

snowgo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lins and Stef McLachlan

Stef
I had quite the opposite deal.
The first year was fantastic, apart from the work.
4.5 years later we are all back in th UK. I owned a house before our adventure.
now i rent a house at 2 grand a month. Not sustainable.
A life changing exp for sure.

Good Luck!

Canada is a wounderful country to visit.
Old Dec 28th 2011, 2:44 am

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point

I didn't know you were having such a rough time of it. I hope 2012 will be a much better year for you.
Old Dec 28th 2011, 2:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Miss Clinique
I didn't know you were having such a rough time of it. I hope 2012 will be a much better year for you.
Thanks for all your supportive comments. Happy New Year to all
love
stef