Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

visa nearly up and don't want to leave

visa nearly up and don't want to leave

Old Dec 27th 2009, 8:54 pm
Onwards and upwards!

fatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of light
Default visa nearly up and don't want to leave

I think this forum is great especially for letting your feelings out, great therapy!
Well we've been here 18 months and our visa is up in April. It is unlikely we will get residency as our 14 year old son is autistic so although we will fight like dogs i don't hold out much hope.
I can honestly say that i will be heart broken to leave as in such a short space of time we have made wonderful friends both Brits and Canadians we have jobs we love and a great house that we rent. If you'd have asked me last year whether i wanted to leave I would have yes. Canada has many down sides to it as many people on here have mentioned and I spent months getting frustrated and complaining about the laws here, the prices, the drivers, the shocking customer service... need I go on!!! However, having said all that, I love our life here and I wouldn't trade it for the UK in a million years. I think all I miss is of course my friends but i call them and e-mail them and they can visit if they want and i miss UK TV and a decent curry and chinese. Other than that nothing. I went back to the UK in April for 6 days just for a flying visit to tie up some loose ends and visit family but it sealed it for me, my heart was in Canada and I wanted to come home after 2 days. I'd had enough of the weather, the traffic, the crowds, the scum on the street god i hated it.
There are many stupid things with this country that don't make sense and they are about 25 years behind the UK with many things especially in Alberta but the people make this place what it is. They are so kind and giving and love learning about you. The girls I work with are great and they deserve better treatment than they get with our company that's why as there supervisor i am very easy going with them and they respond well to that. As for the cold I love it, my husband and I are skiers and that's why we came to this area so we didn't have to pay to go to Europe every year!
Another family came over and the guy works with my husband and his wife went through all the same feelings i did, the anger, frustration and trying to fight the system but I kept telling her it was all perfectly normal and just a stage of adjustment she was going through and it would get easier.... and it did. So for those going through those feelings, if i can give some advice, go with it, don't fight the system as you can't win, it is what it is and you either suck it up and live with it or go back. When you stop fighting you can then begin to enjoy yourself and settle in properly. I would also suggest a visit back to the UK as this will make your mind up for sure. Get in with the locals and get out in the community, Canadians love to talk and will make conversation anywhere so take them up on it. Anyway i'll let you know if we have to leave or not when i know but for now enjoy Canada.
Old Dec 28th 2009, 3:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: visa nearly up and don't want to leave

Hi, good luck!
Old Dec 28th 2009, 6:02 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

You are on a 2 year temp work permit I presume.

Why did you go through the hassle of doing this if you knew the liklehood of getting pr was slim ( personally I think you have a chance as i'm sure theres others who have moved with autistic children).

You put yoursleves and your child through the upheaval of moving, settling in and then heartbreak of having to leave - all with the thoughts in the back of your head that it probably won't come off

Seems a bit stupid if you ask me - but I can understand why you like it, and wouldn't want to leave. Can you not get another temp position?
Old Dec 28th 2009, 8:15 pm
Onwards and upwards!

fatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
You are on a 2 year temp work permit I presume.

Why did you go through the hassle of doing this if you knew the liklehood of getting pr was slim ( personally I think you have a chance as i'm sure theres others who have moved with autistic children).

You put yoursleves and your child through the upheaval of moving, settling in and then heartbreak of having to leave - all with the thoughts in the back of your head that it probably won't come off

Seems a bit stupid if you ask me - but I can understand why you like it, and wouldn't want to leave. Can you not get another temp position?
well we are nearing the end of our pr process but at no point in time did anyone until now tell us that we wouldn't be accepted as our child was Autistic been as there would be 3 of paying into the tax system here it never even entered our head. We came because we were offered jobs and told it wouldn't be a problem. I am of the opinion though that even if it doesn't work out at least we tried it and got a great experience out of it, so even though you think i'm 'stupid' for doing it I wouldn't trade this experience for the world and i'm glad we came and if we have to go back then such is life, so thanks for your comments but i disagree that we've been stupid.
Old Dec 28th 2009, 8:16 pm
Onwards and upwards!

Originally Posted by DandNHill
Hi, good luck!
thanks and same to you I hope all goes smoothly
Old Dec 28th 2009, 8:17 pm
Onwards and upwards!

Originally Posted by DandNHill
Hi, good luck!
thanks and same to you I hope all goes smoothly for you and you soon enjoy your life in Canada
Old Dec 28th 2009, 8:21 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatcat65
well we are nearing the end of our pr process but at no point in time did anyone until now tell us that we wouldn't be accepted as our child was Autistic been as there would be 3 of paying into the tax system here it never even entered our head. We came because we were offered jobs and told it wouldn't be a problem. I am of the opinion though that even if it doesn't work out at least we tried it and got a great experience out of it, so even though you think i'm 'stupid' for doing it I wouldn't trade this experience for the world and i'm glad we came and if we have to go back then such is life, so thanks for your comments but i disagree that we've been stupid.
OK maybe stupid was a little harsh (am in a very bad mood today!) but as I remember from the TWP application forms there are boxes to check regarding disabilities.

I know you state on another thread that because that said "physical disabilities" you didn't think it would be worth mentioning.

Now, you know how much of a pain emmigrating can be, and seem to have found things out the hard way. So stupid no - naive maybe.
Old Dec 28th 2009, 8:31 pm
Onwards and upwards!

OK maybe stupid was a little harsh (am in a very bad mood today!) but as I remember from the TWP application forms there are boxes to check regarding disabilities.

I know you state on another thread that because that said "physical disabilities" you didn't think it would be worth mentioning.

Now, you know how much of a pain emmigrating can be, and seem to have found things out the hard way. So stupid no - naive maybe.
naive is a no also as we didn't fill out forms our employer did and we had them posted to us in the UK before we left and our employer knew we had a child with a disability and has brought over many Brits so I can't see him not ticking a box he is very thorough. At no point did i not think its worth mentioning I shout from the roof tops of my sons autism as i'm very proud with how he copes. I'm an advocate for these people so i would not hide it in any way shape or form nor fail to mention it.
Sorry your in a bad mood but i do resent some of your comments and feel like you have judge me in a bad way when all i was doing was telling my story and giving others the benefit of my time here, I didn't ask to be judged!
Old Dec 28th 2009, 9:08 pm
Sawdust making harpy

naive is a no also as we didn't fill out forms our employer did and we had them posted to us in the UK before we left and our employer knew we had a child with a disability and has brought over many Brits so I can't see him not ticking a box he is very thorough. At no point did i not think its worth mentioning I shout from the roof tops of my sons autism as i'm very proud with how he copes. I'm an advocate for these people so i would not hide it in any way shape or form nor fail to mention it.
Sorry your in a bad mood but i do resent some of your comments and feel like you have judge me in a bad way when all i was doing was telling my story and giving others the benefit of my time here, I didn't ask to be judged!
Did you not have to check and sign them?
Old Dec 28th 2009, 9:11 pm

lancashirebird is an unknown quantity at this point

BUT you are not alone, i know mandy and she is very kind hearted, but sometimes storys like these are hard, we hear them everyday, some people come over knowing the risk and others don't.........
I know a few people who started the process and came on a twp, not all of them knew that a disability would affect there PR, but although you will hear storys about people being refused PR that is because there has been proven a large drain on canada.
You need to get your case togeather, although you say that you are going to delay as long as in another thread, you need to get stuff sorted ASAP, if that means talking and employing a agent to act for you.
I know they have only asked for school reports, but if you can send in a real good case to why you should stay then it may work, i know that is what my friends agent did for them.............

Also by posting on a open forum, i am afraid that you will get some comments you wont like, that is the internet
If i was you i would read like crazy........
i have a son with hyperglysemia, i knew when we came here that i would have to manage the condition myself, he costs canada $0
Since we moved here i have had a heart attack and must be on meds for the rest of my life, but after speaking to my consultant (she is the best in her field ), she has advised that she will also do a report for me, as long as i am a good girl the i will cost canada $0
But i am backing everything up with paperwork, i wont go in blind when it comes to my kids life....................
That is why i always say if you struggle, employ someone.............................
Old Dec 28th 2009, 9:20 pm
Sawdust making harpy

Originally Posted by lancashirebird
BUT you are not alone, i know mandy and she is very kind hearted, but sometimes storys like these are hard, we hear them everyday, some people come over knowing the risk and others don't.........
I know a few people who started the process and came on a twp, not all of them knew that a disability would affect there PR, but although you will hear storys about people being refused PR that is because there has been proven a large drain on canada.
You need to get your case togeather, although you say that you are going to delay as long as in another thread, you need to get stuff sorted ASAP, if that means talking and employing a agent to act for you.
I know they have only asked for school reports, but if you can send in a real good case to why you should stay then it may work, i know that is what my friends agent did for them.............

Also by posting on a open forum, i am afraid that you will get some comments you wont like, that is the internet
i have a son with hyperglysemia, i knew when we came here that i would have to manage the condition myself, he costs canada $0
Since we moved here i have had a heart attack and must be on meds for the rest of my life, but after speaking to my consultant (she is the best in her field ), she has advised that she will also do a report for me, as long as i am a good girl the i will cost canada $0
But i am backing everything up with paperwork, i wont go in blind when it comes to my kids life....................
That is why i always say if you struggle, employ someone.............................

I completely agree with the above.

We all have the poor old me days - but then you just have to get on with it.

I seriously hope it all goes well really I do, Canada is a wonderful place to live and to finally feel settled somewhere and have to leave is beyond comprehension.

Like LB siad and the others on the other thread - get yourself a lawyer with medical experience, if you want to stay then every penny spent will be worthwhile - and you will know that YOU did everything you could to secure your families future.

Advice on here is all well and good - but with so many differing opinions and cases, you cannot be sure that what you are getting is right for you.

Sincere good luck
Old Dec 28th 2009, 9:24 pm
Onwards and upwards!

Did you not have to check and sign them?
no they were just posted to us and my work visa i picked up at Calgary airport when i arrived
Old Dec 28th 2009, 9:31 pm
Onwards and upwards!

I completely agree with the above.

We all have the poor old me days - but then you just have to get on with it.

I seriously hope it all goes well really I do, Canada is a wonderful place to live and to finally feel settled somewhere and have to leave is beyond comprehension.

Like LB siad and the others on the other thread - get yourself a lawyer with medical experience, if you want to stay then every penny spent will be worthwhile - and you will know that YOU did everything you could to secure your families future.

Advice on here is all well and good - but with so many differing opinions and cases, you cannot be sure that what you are getting is right for you.

Sincere good luck
thanks for you kind words and I will do everything i can although until tax return time we don't have the money to employ a lawyer so i will do as much research myself as i can that's why i joined to see what others had done and to maybe chat to them about the process so I'm prepared. I've also looked into plan b if we don't get to stay and where to go next...life is an adventure and I have no regrets and if we have to move around its valuable experience where ever we end up. Just glad we got out of dreary Lancashire urgh!! lol Have you got pr yet?
Old Dec 28th 2009, 9:37 pm
Onwards and upwards!

Originally Posted by lancashirebird

thanks lb i just get very frustrated sometimes if i feel like i'm being judged. I would not want anything from this government for Daniel as in Alberta they have nothing worthwhile anyway, its shameful how disabled are treated over here. How can you have an organization that is meant to help these people when they make shed loads of money out of them... and i do mean shed loads!! Its disgraceful and I don't want anyone making money out of my son! I'm sorry to hear about your HA and i hope all goes well for you. How far down the process are you? Thanks for all your support i do appreciate it, don't have anyone else to run things by so i'm dealing with this alone.... hubby burying his head in the sand!!
Old Dec 28th 2009, 9:53 pm
Sawdust making harpy

thanks for you kind words and I will do everything i can although until tax return time we don't have the money to employ a lawyer so i will do as much research myself as i can that's why i joined to see what others had done and to maybe chat to them about the process so I'm prepared. I've also looked into plan b if we don't get to stay and where to go next...life is an adventure and I have no regrets and if we have to move around its valuable experience where ever we end up. Just glad we got out of dreary Lancashire urgh!! lol Have you got pr yet?
Nope in a similar boat to you but mines up in May.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.