Two years today

Old Oct 1st 2013, 1:40 am
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Two years today

Two years today since I landed in BC.

One bizarre Korean landlord.
One horrendous co-tenant.
One fraught house purchase.
3 new kittens.
Several jobs.
Multiple pointless and repetitive form filling exercises.
Two successful careers re-established.
One Festival appearance.
Two beautiful summers.
Two motorcycles.
One emotional visit to the UK.......

amongst other events.

Things haven't been all rosy, to say the least, but here we are, still keeping our heads above water.

There have been successes and setbacks.
Tears have been shed in frustration and upset, but also in happiness and celebration.

As no-one can know what might have been, maybe we would have been happier staying in the UK, but then, maybe we wouldn't.

Day to day, we feel settled and have enough money to be able to live comfortably, we enjoy our work and our free time and we are making new connections every day.

Calling BC "Home" - a Work in Progress.
Old Oct 1st 2013, 7:31 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Two years today

Oh congratulations! I always follow your posts on how you have been doing, as you have always put it so well. You have gone at your problems one by one, and overcome them all...well done. My very best wishes in your continuing settlement process
Old Oct 1st 2013, 8:40 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Well done. It's all part of the adventure of life!
Old Oct 1st 2013, 9:07 pm
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats and as Millie said you have done well and faced off each problem one by one. Heres hoping you are able to continue in the same vein
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 12:08 am
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mikeypm
Congrats and as Millie said you have done well and faced off each problem one by one. Heres hoping you are able to continue in the same vein
Please NO!
No more problems!!!

I am good under pressure, but there's a limit to what I can cope with before I wave the white flag.

Seriously, thanks for the congrats, everyone.

Getting the teaching back has been hardest, but I am thrilled to have just accepted a full time teaching post and tagged it for next September, so then it will be teaching business as usual.
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 1:44 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helcat12
Please NO!
No more problems!!!

I am good under pressure, but there's a limit to what I can cope with before I wave the white flag.

Seriously, thanks for the congrats, everyone.

Getting the teaching back has been hardest, but I am thrilled to have just accepted a full time teaching post and tagged it for next September, so then it will be teaching business as usual.
A full time teaching post in 3 years is impressive. It took the OH at least a year to get her Ontario credentials and then another two or three to land a full-time permanent position.

I thought that was fast.

Well done.
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 1:55 am
Island life at last

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
A full time teaching post in 3 years is impressive. It took the OH at least a year to get her Ontario credentials and then another two or three to land a full-time permanent position.

I thought that was fast.

Well done.
It would have been two years, but I had just accepted a 0.25 at another school, and once you have done that, it has to be for the whole year.

I was just lucky, and I seem to come across well at interview.

Must be my dazzling good looks and sparkling personality
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 2:20 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

It would have been two years, but I had just accepted a 0.25 at another school, and once you have done that, it has to be for the whole year.

I was just lucky, and I seem to come across well at interview.

Must be my dazzling good looks and sparkling personality
Oh, I'm sure that's it. My OH qualified with a PGCE from Cambridge in 1977, then had several careers (most of which involved following me around the world). About 8 years after we arrived back in Canada she decided to "regenerate" her fledgling teaching career.

She was lucky, or had dazzling good looks and a sparkling personality too.

She did sub work at a school nearby and made a strong relationship with the principal, then after a horrendous term in a white trash school in Aurora, got rehired by the same boss for an LTR job. Then a year at the same school on a 0.5, followed by full time permanent.

However all did not end ideally: the principal was replaced by a hockey jock who was a royal pain in the arse. After about 3 years of this jerk, she retired early at 60 (with my strong endorsement). !0 year career in total I think.
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 2:56 am
Gained PR July 2014

lindamchugh is an unknown quantity at this point

helcat love that post, bullet points are the future! mine after 8 weeks looks a bit like this:

no job x2
no house ( still in cousins basement)
no car ( cant afford one)
one distraught teenage daughter who had a breakdown and refused to get out of bed for 3 days
all 4 of us living on top of each other
No update on PR

on the plus ( she says sceptically)

3 job offers
driving around like an old hat
made loads of friends ( albeit offshoot of cousin but beggars cant be choosers!)
volunteering at a kindergarden until can work
cycling everywhere which i LOVE
son in soccer team and in last cut for rep team under 15's

maybe I will start making lists that kinda cheers me up out of my manic depression so far ......
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 10:05 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lindamchugh
helcat love that post, bullet points are the future! mine after 8 weeks looks a bit like this:

no job x2
no house ( still in cousins basement)
no car ( cant afford one)
one distraught teenage daughter who had a breakdown and refused to get out of bed for 3 days
all 4 of us living on top of each other
No update on PR

on the plus ( she says sceptically)

3 job offers
driving around like an old hat
made loads of friends ( albeit offshoot of cousin but beggars cant be choosers!)
volunteering at a kindergarden until can work
cycling everywhere which i LOVE
son in soccer team and in last cut for rep team under 15's

maybe I will start making lists that kinda cheers me up out of my manic depression so far ......
Old Oct 5th 2013, 2:09 pm

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow! Can't believe it's been 2 years. Good luck for the next 2 years.
Old Oct 5th 2013, 6:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

RubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond repute

3 new kittens.
Several jobs.
One Festival appearance.
Two beautiful summers.
Two motorcycles.

amongst other events.

Things haven't been all rosy, to say the least, but here we are, still keeping our heads above water.

Tears have been shed in frustration and upset, but also in happiness and celebration.

As no-one can know what might have been, maybe we would have been happier staying in the UK, but then, maybe we wouldn't.

Day to day, we feel settled and have enough money to be able to live comfortably, we enjoy our work and our free time and we are making new connections every day.

Your journey made me smile. That's the way to go. You have proved that getting a teaching job in BC is not impossible. Keep doing what you are doing and stay positive and blessed.

Ruby
Old Oct 19th 2013, 2:19 am
finally together...

__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats on 2 years. You guys have done so much and I'm sure it will be home soon, bc was home for me after about 4 months when I had a trip back to uk. Couldn't wait to get home to Prince George!
Old Oct 20th 2013, 2:06 am
Forum Regular

TKaur81 will become famous soon enoughTKaur81 will become famous soon enough

Its really nice hearing that people are settling into the BC area and have stayed despite hardships, I'm VERRRY NEW to BC, next week it will have been just one month since I have been here, and I'm still very much in the homesick -what have I just done type frame of mind. Its nice to hear that people have felt more settled down after a while : )
Old Oct 20th 2013, 12:10 pm
Forum Regular

Vwera is an unknown quantity at this point

3 new kittens.
Several jobs.
One Festival appearance.
Two beautiful summers.
Two motorcycles.

amongst other events.

Congrats on your canniversary! You seem to be coping quite well! Good luck with all your future plans!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.