Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

Throwing in the towel

Throwing in the towel

Old Aug 18th 2012, 7:27 am
BE Enthusiast

graham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nice
Default Re: Throwing in the towel

Did you not go over without a job
Old Sep 28th 2012, 7:11 pm
Banned

wonderwoman1st is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry to hear it didn't work out for you, it can be hard for sure and commonly here they don't acknowledge your application unlike the UK where I'd always get a polite response regardless.

That said I have had some responses, and I gained welcome invites to apply again from others while waiting for my Nurse registration to process for Ontario (each province I had to register before I could work as a Nurse here, bit annoying to be honest and a waiting game) but it's there now at least.

I find cold calling and meeting people in person works better here too, as in walk in and give them your resume, it's another tip I got from employment centers over here.
Old Sep 28th 2012, 7:29 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by graham and george
Did you not go over without a job
not always easy to achieve a job when you arent even here
Old Oct 15th 2012, 3:51 pm
Forum Regular

jerseytocanada is an unknown quantity at this point

I sent off 25+ resumes as applications each with targeted cover letters to that company.

I only got 1 response and that was the good old ' your too qualified for what we need'

After that i called a guy who was advertising for Electricians through kajiji and asked him if i could drive to meet him in the morning. We met at Tim Hortons where i had a coffee waiting for him then he offered me the job on the spot. I feel you have to be face to face here. The jobs not the best but i'm getting 4th year apprentice money (better pay than an electrician at home) and this will get me that valuable 'Canadian Experience' so eventually i'll sit my red seal then move on.
Old Oct 15th 2012, 4:02 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jerseytocanada
I sent off 25+ resumes as applications each with targeted cover letters to that company.

I only got 1 response and that was the good old ' your too qualified for what we need'

After that i called a guy who was advertising for Electricians through kajiji and asked him if i could drive to meet him in the morning. We met at Tim Hortons where i had a coffee waiting for him then he offered me the job on the spot. I feel you have to be face to face here. The jobs not the best but i'm getting 4th year apprentice money (better pay than an electrician at home) and this will get me that valuable 'Canadian Experience' so eventually i'll sit my red seal then move on.
Relying on sending out resumes is going to result in disappointment more times than not. Few businesses reply to applications they are not interested in, too time consuming and costly.

There is many a threads on here about networking. This is pretty much the only way to go in a new country, otherwise you are just a piece of paper among many. Go to trade events, cold call employers, drop in resumes on the off chance, join groups and associations. Many jobs go unadvertised, if your resume is in the right place at the right time or you meet the right person you are in with a better chance. The go getters get the jobs.
Old Oct 15th 2012, 5:34 pm
Banned

wonderwoman1st is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Howefamily
not always easy to achieve a job when you arent even here
Not always the case. I had a job lined up before I moved over in 2007. I'm in a Profession mind and they were seeking more of us.
Old Oct 18th 2012, 12:02 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wonderwoman1st
Not always the case. I had a job lined up before I moved over in 2007. I'm in a Profession mind and they were seeking more of us.
Lucky you
Old Oct 18th 2012, 1:12 am
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Lucky you
Apparantly I have to spread karma around before I can do so again
Old Oct 18th 2012, 1:57 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nikki dreaming
Apparantly I have to spread karma around before I can do so again
I'll take your karmic gesture and raise you 1
Old Oct 18th 2012, 1:22 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wonderwoman1st
So did I but it took about 18 months of trying to secure it from the UK and I think that was pure luck.