Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

Six Months in the 'Hat'

Six Months in the 'Hat'

Old Apr 16th 2013, 7:32 am
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 6
rach05 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Six Months in the 'Hat'

Myself and my husband have been here six months now and so far so good!

We always wanted to move here as we have family in Canmore and we had been on several holidays here. So one day we made the decision and my husband applied for a job within his company for a position in Calgary. He wasn't successful but then got asked to apply for one in Medicine Hat, Alberta. We had never been anywhere near here so when he got it we both wondered what we had let ourselves in for!

I was a police officer in England so I put in a request for a two year career break, we organised our wedding at short notice (we didn't want to come all the way back for it or organise it from Canada) and he flew out three months later. I joined him after he had been here ten weeks. We barely had time for it all to sink in.

I found it hard at first as I didn't like not working and I felt isolated. I also wasn't hearing back from any jobs I had applied for, this knocked my confidence. Three months later I started work as an admin assistant for a big company on a temporary contract. Couldn't have picked a different job but it's stress free, no shift work, I finish at four every day and I have weekends off! Bliss! Plus I get paid just a bit more than I did as a police officer- ridiculous! The pay for administrative work in Alberta seems to be really generous compared to England.

We are applying for our PR in July and shipping our dog out next month so it looks pretty permanent so far. As soon as we get that I will probably hand my notice back in England and apply for the police force out here. In the future we plan to move nearer to Calgary but we are so much more happier here. We both work less and see each other more. Plus we are financially much better off and live in much nicer surroundings. Fate must have intervened as it's cheaper to live here and this was probably a much better stepping stone to big city life in hindsight. The only drawback is that we miss friends and family, we have found it difficult to make friends as we have moved to small place compared to back home and everyone here seems to have been here their whole lives so already have a social circle.

My husband loves the skiing (we have to drive three hours to get to it but still) and the rockies. Even here in the prairies the scenery is breathtaking. I am constantly amazed every time we drive everywhere. We are so much more active here, our basement is already getting full of sports equipment!

What I love the most I think is the weather, it's a little different as I'm quite far south, but it's so sunny all the time! Plus the winter was really mild. It's rained three times since I've been here, coming from Manchester you have no idea what this means to me I don't mind the snow either, that helps!

It was a good choice for us, but thats mainly to do with the fact that we weren't satisfied with our jobs back home. My husband was incredibily stressed in the UK and was having health problems because of it. We were lucky as his company sorted out our immigration but just looking at all the forms we have to fill in for our PR is giving me a headache. I am sure it will all be worth it in the end and so far I wouldn't change a thing.

Good luck to anyone who is thinking of moving out here. I hope it works out for you.
rach05 is offline  
Old Apr 17th 2013, 8:19 am
  #2  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
ann m's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Cochrane, Alberta
Posts: 7,864
ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Six Months in the 'Hat'

Sounds like a great start - best wishes to you both. Wait till you've been a cop here for a few years - you will def be earning way more than in the UK.
ann m is offline  
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 9:39 am
  #3  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Coventry england
Posts: 157
merylbaz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Six Months in the 'Hat'

What a lovely post. So glad things worked out for you.
Onwards and upwards as they say
merylbaz is offline  
Old Apr 24th 2013, 4:14 am
  #4  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 266
angelic applicant has a brilliant futureangelic applicant has a brilliant futureangelic applicant has a brilliant futureangelic applicant has a brilliant futureangelic applicant has a brilliant futureangelic applicant has a brilliant futureangelic applicant has a brilliant future
Default Re: Six Months in the 'Hat'

Aww fab post, ive got PR and a telephone interview tomorrow night...(nervous.com). Im a manchester(ish) gal but coming over on my own.
Ive had an up n down week in the lead up to tomorrow, but reading your experience has made me smile and reminded me why i wanted to move in the first place...positive mental attitude
angelic applicant is offline  
Old Jun 9th 2013, 3:45 am
  #5  
BE Forum Addict
 
burton bunch's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Lethbridge AB
Posts: 4,250
burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Six Months in the 'Hat'

Originally Posted by rach05
Myself and my husband have been here six months now and so far so good!

We always wanted to move here as we have family in Canmore and we had been on several holidays here. So one day we made the decision and my husband applied for a job within his company for a position in Calgary. He wasn't successful but then got asked to apply for one in Medicine Hat, Alberta. We had never been anywhere near here so when he got it we both wondered what we had let ourselves in for!

I was a police officer in England so I put in a request for a two year career break, we organised our wedding at short notice (we didn't want to come all the way back for it or organise it from Canada) and he flew out three months later. I joined him after he had been here ten weeks. We barely had time for it all to sink in.

I found it hard at first as I didn't like not working and I felt isolated. I also wasn't hearing back from any jobs I had applied for, this knocked my confidence. Three months later I started work as an admin assistant for a big company on a temporary contract. Couldn't have picked a different job but it's stress free, no shift work, I finish at four every day and I have weekends off! Bliss! Plus I get paid just a bit more than I did as a police officer- ridiculous! The pay for administrative work in Alberta seems to be really generous compared to England.

We are applying for our PR in July and shipping our dog out next month so it looks pretty permanent so far. As soon as we get that I will probably hand my notice back in England and apply for the police force out here. In the future we plan to move nearer to Calgary but we are so much more happier here. We both work less and see each other more. Plus we are financially much better off and live in much nicer surroundings. Fate must have intervened as it's cheaper to live here and this was probably a much better stepping stone to big city life in hindsight. The only drawback is that we miss friends and family, we have found it difficult to make friends as we have moved to small place compared to back home and everyone here seems to have been here their whole lives so already have a social circle.

My husband loves the skiing (we have to drive three hours to get to it but still) and the rockies. Even here in the prairies the scenery is breathtaking. I am constantly amazed every time we drive everywhere. We are so much more active here, our basement is already getting full of sports equipment!

What I love the most I think is the weather, it's a little different as I'm quite far south, but it's so sunny all the time! Plus the winter was really mild. It's rained three times since I've been here, coming from Manchester you have no idea what this means to me I don't mind the snow either, that helps!

It was a good choice for us, but thats mainly to do with the fact that we weren't satisfied with our jobs back home. My husband was incredibily stressed in the UK and was having health problems because of it. We were lucky as his company sorted out our immigration but just looking at all the forms we have to fill in for our PR is giving me a headache. I am sure it will all be worth it in the end and so far I wouldn't change a thing.

Good luck to anyone who is thinking of moving out here. I hope it works out for you.
Hello fellow manc !

I am in lethbridge and staying lol

Lots of people don't even look any south than Calgary and this just amazes me - we live in such a beautiful part of Alberta .
burton bunch is offline  
Old Jul 7th 2013, 6:49 am
  #6  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Gloucester UK to Kamloops
Posts: 68
sarah & andy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Six Months in the 'Hat'

We moved to The Hat from Calgary, two years ago due to my job!!! It's a great community the way it rallied following our recent flood speaks to that.I do not miss my 1-2hr commutes to work.Although I do miss the mountains!!
Would highly recommend The Hat,a great place to raise a family!!!
sarah & andy is offline  
Old Jul 15th 2013, 9:23 am
  #7  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 6
rach05 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Six Months in the 'Hat'

Originally Posted by angelic applicant
Aww fab post, ive got PR and a telephone interview tomorrow night...(nervous.com). Im a manchester(ish) gal but coming over on my own.
Ive had an up n down week in the lead up to tomorrow, but reading your experience has made me smile and reminded me why i wanted to move in the first place...positive mental attitude
I hope your telephone interview went well!

I constantly have to remind myself that so far I have done the right thing. It's hard though when you miss friends and family, especially when you see their lives moving on without you.

Good luck with everything
rach05 is offline  
Old Jul 15th 2013, 9:25 am
  #8  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 6
rach05 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Six Months in the 'Hat'

Originally Posted by burton bunch
Hello fellow manc !

I am in lethbridge and staying lol

Lots of people don't even look any south than Calgary and this just amazes me - we live in such a beautiful part of Alberta .
Hello!

Haha, I know. When we told Canadians that we were moving to Medicine Hat their only question was, 'why?!'

I really like it though, especially the heat! Lethbridge is lovely from what I have seen, my husband works there one day a week.

Rachael
rach05 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.