Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

A positive start in Calgary

A positive start in Calgary

Old Aug 7th 2011, 12:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

heading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to all
Default Re: A positive start in Calgary

It's great to hear things are going really well for you RDOD! Sick as a parrot that Hubby and I are too old for WHV though but I'm well chuffed for you all the same
Old Nov 10th 2011, 1:08 am
BE Forum Addict

rubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond repute

Hey guys,

It's been a little over 4 months since we arrived in Canada so I thought I'd give a brief update on how we're getting on and how we're finding things...

We've both had a great time over the last 4 months. Our break in NS at my uncle's place was awesome. Lots of wood chopping, BBQ's, beers, riding of horses, touristy stuff etc. Just what I needed after the stress of selling everything and getting over here. I slept like a baby (never understood that expression), while we were there as I was tired from being busy all day and not stressed about anything.

As I originally mentioned, on arrival in the Calgary area, we stayed with a friend in Cochrane. We found a 3 bed townhouse (rental), which we've been in for about 3 months now and we're quite happy in our temporary home. We're hoping to be in a position to consider buying in the new year but that depends mainly on our immigration status. Cochrane has been very good to us. We've already made a number of friends who we see regularly which really makes things a lot easier and we like the fact that we're not in suburb-hell. My commute to work is a reasonable distance (I go highway 22 onto 22X into the south of Calgary from Cochrane), but fortunately my employer is very relaxed about 'facetime' in the office and allows me to pick my own hours and work from home 3-4 days a week - awesome! The company has a mix of people of many ages and backgrounds and it's helping expose me to the different types of people in this area which is helping me understand the cultural differences. Not significant in my opinion, everyone I'm meeting is great and really friendly. My wife's not found a job yet because we're currently only running one vehicle (Ford Explorer which has done about 20k in the last 3 months - we've been out and about a lot!), which limits her opportunities but she's been busy volunteering and doing part time work locally. She's having a great time here too.

We've spent a lot of time in the mountains since we've been here. I expect we've been there every weekend really. Lots of hiking, I've been snowboarding already, we've done some camping and various other things. I've done my firearms safety course and I'm applying for my PAL to do some shooting. My wife is riding horses with a neighbour on a weekly basis.

We've had my wife's parents over for 2 weeks and my wife's best friend over for two weeks which was good but hell did we spend a lot of money entertaining and taking people out and about!

So as for our status, we're on WHV's and awaiting a PR decision (FSW1), so that's unlikely to be resolved soon. We're applying for PR via AINP (employer driven) and hopefully will get a nomination decision soon. We don't want to go back to the UK!

We're not missing anything about the UK other than family and friends at the moment. I can't see that changing any time soon but winter's just around the corner...

Anyway, long and the short of it... having a blast. Loving the outside world and had an amazing summer. Fall was stunning. Bring on winter now!
Old Nov 10th 2011, 1:15 am
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Great stuff, matey!
We have an Explorer as well - great for getting round in the sticks isn't it?
So glad that you and the OH are happy.
Roll on PR... (for us both!)
Old Nov 10th 2011, 9:40 am
Forum Regular

Zhanna is a splendid one to beholdZhanna is a splendid one to beholdZhanna is a splendid one to beholdZhanna is a splendid one to beholdZhanna is a splendid one to beholdZhanna is a splendid one to beholdZhanna is a splendid one to beholdZhanna is a splendid one to beholdZhanna is a splendid one to beholdZhanna is a splendid one to beholdZhanna is a splendid one to behold

What a positive letter! Congratulations and well done just getting up and going instead of waiting in the UK for ages :-) Best of luck for your future in Canada! Hopefully, the PR process' rusty wheels will start moving soon. And thank you for the e-mail address in my earlier post today
Old Nov 10th 2011, 11:39 am
Account Closed

Dave n Ailsa is an unknown quantity at this point

Great update, always enjoy positive attitudes.

From what I've been reading in posts and blogs, they do tend to embrace winter over there. Just need to be prepared I think is the key.

Snow blowers/shovels, winter tyres, warm clothes etc etc. Oh, and a big freezer full of food

Looking forward to the winter update.
Old Nov 10th 2011, 12:20 pm

TheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond repute

So glad its all working out well for you and that you're enjoying Cochrane too. It's a great town isn't it!!

Old Nov 10th 2011, 8:03 pm
Forum Regular

james_patrick_page is on a distinguished road

Hi
Glad you are enjoying life in Calgary, we are due to arrive in January.
We have read some varying things about Calgary on here, positive/negative,
so good to hear your reports.
Old Nov 11th 2011, 9:21 pm
Forum Regular

GandH has a brilliant futureGandH has a brilliant futureGandH has a brilliant futureGandH has a brilliant futureGandH has a brilliant futureGandH has a brilliant futureGandH has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by rubberduckofdeath
Hey guys,

It's been a little over 4 months since we arrived in Canada so I thought I'd give a brief update on how we're getting on and how we're finding things...

We've both had a great time over the last 4 months. Our break in NS at my uncle's place was awesome. Lots of wood chopping, BBQ's, beers, riding of horses, touristy stuff etc. Just what I needed after the stress of selling everything and getting over here. I slept like a baby (never understood that expression), while we were there as I was tired from being busy all day and not stressed about anything.

As I originally mentioned, on arrival in the Calgary area, we stayed with a friend in Cochrane. We found a 3 bed townhouse (rental), which we've been in for about 3 months now and we're quite happy in our temporary home. We're hoping to be in a position to consider buying in the new year but that depends mainly on our immigration status. Cochrane has been very good to us. We've already made a number of friends who we see regularly which really makes things a lot easier and we like the fact that we're not in suburb-hell. My commute to work is a reasonable distance (I go highway 22 onto 22X into the south of Calgary from Cochrane), but fortunately my employer is very relaxed about 'facetime' in the office and allows me to pick my own hours and work from home 3-4 days a week - awesome! The company has a mix of people of many ages and backgrounds and it's helping expose me to the different types of people in this area which is helping me understand the cultural differences. Not significant in my opinion, everyone I'm meeting is great and really friendly. My wife's not found a job yet because we're currently only running one vehicle (Ford Explorer which has done about 20k in the last 3 months - we've been out and about a lot!), which limits her opportunities but she's been busy volunteering and doing part time work locally. She's having a great time here too.

We've spent a lot of time in the mountains since we've been here. I expect we've been there every weekend really. Lots of hiking, I've been snowboarding already, we've done some camping and various other things. I've done my firearms safety course and I'm applying for my PAL to do some shooting. My wife is riding horses with a neighbour on a weekly basis.

We've had my wife's parents over for 2 weeks and my wife's best friend over for two weeks which was good but hell did we spend a lot of money entertaining and taking people out and about!

So as for our status, we're on WHV's and awaiting a PR decision (FSW1), so that's unlikely to be resolved soon. We're applying for PR via AINP (employer driven) and hopefully will get a nomination decision soon. We don't want to go back to the UK!

We're not missing anything about the UK other than family and friends at the moment. I can't see that changing any time soon but winter's just around the corner...

Anyway, long and the short of it... having a blast. Loving the outside world and had an amazing summer. Fall was stunning. Bring on winter now!
Glad to hear it is still going well for you, I was wondering, what exactly is it that you do? The idea of being able to work at home is an attractive on as I work in IT and most stuff can be done by remote working. We have been out and looked at Calgary itself, Cochrane, Airdrie and Okotoks and to be honest Cochrane was the place that we really liked but were concerned about the commuting.

Cheers
Old Nov 18th 2011, 9:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

rubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helcat12
Great stuff, matey!
We have an Explorer as well - great for getting round in the sticks isn't it?
So glad that you and the OH are happy.
Roll on PR... (for us both!)
Yeah very happy with it, winter tires on now Thanks!

Originally Posted by Zhanna
What a positive letter! Congratulations and well done just getting up and going instead of waiting in the UK for ages :-) Best of luck for your future in Canada! Hopefully, the PR process' rusty wheels will start moving soon. And thank you for the e-mail address in my earlier post today
Thanks & no worries! Here's hoping things move forward for all of those in the big queue...

Originally Posted by Dave n Ailsa
Great update, always enjoy positive attitudes.

From what I've been reading in posts and blogs, they do tend to embrace winter over there. Just need to be prepared I think is the key.

Snow blowers/shovels, winter tyres, warm clothes etc etc. Oh, and a big freezer full of food

Looking forward to the winter update.
Thanks very much! Winter tires on the car now

Originally Posted by TheThornes
So glad its all working out well for you and that you're enjoying Cochrane too. It's a great town isn't it!!

Loving it!

Originally Posted by james_patrick_page
Hi
Glad you are enjoying life in Calgary, we are due to arrive in January.
We have read some varying things about Calgary on here, positive/negative,
so good to hear your reports.
Yeah it varies for everyone obviously but our experience has been very good. You just have to try your best and be prepared!

Originally Posted by GandH
Glad to hear it is still going well for you, I was wondering, what exactly is it that you do? The idea of being able to work at home is an attractive on as I work in IT and most stuff can be done by remote working. We have been out and looked at Calgary itself, Cochrane, Airdrie and Okotoks and to be honest Cochrane was the place that we really liked but were concerned about the commuting.

Cheers
Currently I'm a software development manager
Old Nov 24th 2011, 9:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Update: PNP nomination received!
Old Nov 25th 2011, 1:40 am
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rubberduckofdeath
Update: PNP nomination received!
Congrats, rdod!!!

Have a glass of something and celebrate not having to do the stupid LMO thing again.

How long before PR do you think?
Old Nov 29th 2011, 3:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by helcat12
Congrats, rdod!!!

Have a glass of something and celebrate not having to do the stupid LMO thing again.

How long before PR do you think?
Thanks!

We're hoping we'll have it all sorted by sometime around Christmas next year.

Fingers crossed!
Old Nov 30th 2011, 6:42 am
Just Joined

syedm is an unknown quantity at this point

Congarts for such a brilliant start

We have moved in Toronto almost a month back, its been a hectic month, ups and downs, still no luck with job
Old Dec 4th 2011, 12:51 pm

iol1980 is an unknown quantity at this point

Old Dec 7th 2011, 6:49 am
Just Joined

TaffCan is an unknown quantity at this point

Fantastic!!

I like Cochrane

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.