Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

Our first year (of many)

Our first year (of many)

Old Aug 8th 2009, 4:56 am
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute
Default Our first year (of many)

On August 6th 2008 we arrived in Nova Scotia to begin our new lives. A year on we are settled beyond our wildest dreams. We have a great house in Musquodoboit Harbour and all of our friends and neighbours are fantastic.

Although our children were in great schools in the UK, they have settled here better then we could have hoped and have developed new interests and hobbies that they never considered in the UK. They have also made the nicest group of friends we could have wished for.

Myself and both of our children learned to skate last winter (the kids much better than me), and the whole family began to learn to ski. During the summer we all swim in the ocean several times each week, our older son (age 14) has taking up sailing and is loving it and our younger son (age 8) has taken up golf and came home yesterday with a medal from winning his first tournament. We have all been kayaking which we really enjoyed and are hoping to do much more of it. Both of our children are learning to play the guitar having had no musical inclinations before.

We bought a speedboat recently and now that we are getting confident at handling it we are planning to buy some water skis and have a go at something new.

Last Saturday we had a BBQ party for all of our new friends to celebrate our first year. The weather was glorious and we partied well into the early hours. We felt incredibly lucky to have made so many good friends in one short year.

Two weeks ago we attended our first wedding in Canada. It was a real privilege to be invited to celebrate the marriage of 2 people that we had not even met this time last year.

As for work. I am unbelievably happy in my job here, after spending a miserable 2 years in my last job in the UK where I really hated every day.

We have had a couple of visitors from the UK so far and despite having promised that we will visit sometime in the next 12 months, I have really no desire to go back. It would be good to see some of our friends and family, but I would much prefer that they visit us here.

I know that emigration is not for everyone and that some people suffer more from home sickness so I wouldn't want say that our experience is typical, and I do remember all of the trials and stresses that we went though before our move. If we hadn't had the support of the people on BE, I think we would still be sitting in the UK now waiting for our (incompetent) immigration consultant to give us the right advice.

However, all that stress is in the past and as far as we are concerned, life is just perfect and we feel truly blessed.
Old Aug 8th 2009, 4:14 pm
Forum Regular

beckybev is a jewel in the roughbeckybev is a jewel in the roughbeckybev is a jewel in the roughbeckybev is a jewel in the roughbeckybev is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Our first year (of many)

Thank you so much for your post. I've been doing research on this website for a while now and we're planning to send in our first forms at the end of August. I have been so excited about the move and this last week have been feeling down. I've been wondering whether it's right to ask the children to start all over again in new schools and making new friends but your post has really made me feel better. I've always hoped that they will try new sports that are hard to get involved with in the UK. We're planning on moving to the Toronto area so water skiing will be more difficult but skating, baseball, football and soccer are all a possibility.

You and your family sound so happy and settled even after only a year. I am so happy for you and just hope that it all works out for me and my family.
Old Aug 8th 2009, 4:16 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by destinationnovascotia
On August 6th 2008 we arrived in Nova Scotia to begin our new lives. A year on we are settled beyond our wildest dreams. We have a great house in Musquodoboit Harbour and all of our friends and neighbours are fantastic.

Although our children were in great schools in the UK, they have settled here better then we could have hoped and have developed new interests and hobbies that they never considered in the UK. They have also made the nicest group of friends we could have wished for.

Myself and both of our children learned to skate last winter (the kids much better than me), and the whole family began to learn to ski. During the summer we all swim in the ocean several times each week, our older son (age 14) has taking up sailing and is loving it and our younger son (age 8) has taken up golf and came home yesterday with a medal from winning his first tournament. We have all been kayaking which we really enjoyed and are hoping to do much more of it. Both of our children are learning to play the guitar having had no musical inclinations before.

We bought a speedboat recently and now that we are getting confident at handling it we are planning to buy some water skis and have a go at something new.

Last Saturday we had a BBQ party for all of our new friends to celebrate our first year. The weather was glorious and we partied well into the early hours. We felt incredibly lucky to have made so many good friends in one short year.

Two weeks ago we attended our first wedding in Canada. It was a real privilege to be invited to celebrate the marriage of 2 people that we had not even met this time last year.

As for work. I am unbelievably happy in my job here, after spending a miserable 2 years in my last job in the UK where I really hated every day.

We have had a couple of visitors from the UK so far and despite having promised that we will visit sometime in the next 12 months, I have really no desire to go back. It would be good to see some of our friends and family, but I would much prefer that they visit us here.

I know that emigration is not for everyone and that some people suffer more from home sickness so I wouldn't want say that our experience is typical, and I do remember all of the trials and stresses that we went though before our move. If we hadn't had the support of the people on BE, I think we would still be sitting in the UK now waiting for our (incompetent) immigration consultant to give us the right advice.

However, all that stress is in the past and as far as we are concerned, life is just perfect and we feel truly blessed.
I'm sorry that you can't find anything to whine about. Surly you can carp about something, however insignificant ! LOL. Seriously though, well done. Nice to hear that you life is so good. It's all down to attitude and assimilation I think. Learning to enjoy the lifestyle here instead of bitching because the kids won't learn cricket at school and so on. Forty years here and I still think it's the best place on earth. I came here to better myself, not to try to change things into what they were back in the UK. Canada has certainly been good to me. Best wishes to you and yours for the future and many more happy years.
Old Aug 8th 2009, 4:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats on your first year - sounds wonderful. Long may it continue
Old Aug 8th 2009, 5:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

emmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud of

Happy first aniversary, you sound like you have settled really well.
Old Aug 8th 2009, 8:34 pm
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

Lorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations, Canada's a wonderful place eh! Hope you have many more good years.
Old Aug 9th 2009, 12:44 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations, great to hear that eveything is going so well, a great positive post!

Best wishes, look forward to catching up with you sometime
Old Aug 9th 2009, 1:04 pm
Forum Regular

heidi40 will become famous soon enoughheidi40 will become famous soon enough

Lovely post. Positive people like you make me want to live Have a wonderful new life.
Old Aug 10th 2009, 12:08 am
Life is great!!

LISABOB has a brilliant futureLISABOB has a brilliant futureLISABOB has a brilliant futureLISABOB has a brilliant futureLISABOB has a brilliant futureLISABOB has a brilliant future

Hi Lynn, Great post, its fab when it is all so positive. We have been here 3 weeks now and have enjoyed every minute and hope it continues. We are hopefully moving in to our new house on 21 August in Glen Haven so cant wait for that.

Sounds like you have had a fab year and I hope it gets even better for you (if possible).

Lisa
Old Aug 10th 2009, 12:51 am
Just Joined

janet1964 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by beckybev
Thank you so much for your post. I've been doing research on this website for a while now and we're planning to send in our first forms at the end of August. I have been so excited about the move and this last week have been feeling down. I've been wondering whether it's right to ask the children to start all over again in new schools and making new friends but your post has really made me feel better. I've always hoped that they will try new sports that are hard to get involved with in the UK. We're planning on moving to the Toronto area so water skiing will be more difficult but skating, baseball, football and soccer are all a possibility.

You and your family sound so happy and settled even after only a year. I am so happy for you and just hope that it all works out for me and my family.
Excellent news, really glad you like here & have settled in well )) I am like you moved to Ontario in 2001 & just love everything about being here, have a great job, friends & even a new husband !!! I became a Canadian citizen in January 2006 & this May my son married a Canadian girl & they have a gorgeous baby boy now , everything in Canada is perfect, so it was lovely to read your success story as well, congratulations xx
Old Aug 10th 2009, 2:58 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Happy 1st Canniversary

Your first year reads almost like our first year except I have yet to don skis on snow or water .

Glad you have also settled in really well and met some good friends. It makes a whole lot of difference into how you settle in your new community.

Newcomers have to (try to) remain positive and go out there embrace their new country. You soon reap the rewards. You have gone out and done just that so well done and congratulations to you all
Old Aug 11th 2009, 7:32 am
BE Forum Addict

newshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond repute

That's wonderful DNS... here's to the next one (or 50...)
Old Aug 11th 2009, 7:11 pm

terese677 is an unknown quantity at this point

Many congratulations, you've settled so well, here's to many more
Old Aug 12th 2009, 4:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

rgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to behold

Glad to hear everything is working out nicely for you Lynn. I'm going to have to try the beach you swim at. The water at Martinique is far too cold to swim in .
Old Aug 12th 2009, 4:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rgilbert
Glad to hear everything is working out nicely for you Lynn. I'm going to have to try the beach you swim at. The water at Martinique is far too cold to swim in .
Just let me know if you are coming down our way anytime. You are always a welcome visitor.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.