Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

One Year in Edmonton Alberta

One Year in Edmonton Alberta

Old Aug 22nd 2009, 11:28 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: One Year in Edmonton Alberta

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Well some would say you're a copper so you aren't as nervy in sketchy areas, BUT I will say the same about Calgary. It is however as you say perception, I am far more blaise about walking around the less desirable than are most of my Canadian friends, mainly I think due to 'experience' of Manchester, Liverpool and London (not to mention Burnley, Accrington and Blackburn)
We're much harder than our Canadian pals
Old Aug 22nd 2009, 11:44 pm
Banned

Lemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dboy
I mentioned Vancouver merely to illustrate my point - I've found both Edmonton and Calgary much the same, not to mention Ottawa and Toronto. My perception, and that's all it may be, is that cities i've either lived in or visited in Canada feel safer than UK cities.
No one is disputing this!!! - the original poster is saying, that you may want to look at Edmonton crime rates before deciding where in Canada to live.

People seem to want to comment on this thead without actually reading it?
"Welcome to Alberta - open skies, closed minds".
Old Aug 23rd 2009, 8:03 am
BE Enthusiast

JET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Lemi
All you lot moving from Port Talbot to Edmonton, Why make all that effort to move from a small s**t hole just to end up in a bigger one?
Unless you are talking from experience and not what you read on here I don't think you are in a position to make an opinion on Edmonton. You have got to see things for yourself and then decide.

As for Port Talbot, when the steel works shuts in 2-3 years time, it will be probably the biggest hole on the planet. You will never be able to sell up, so time is right to make a move.

As I earlier suggested, if you don't like it there, you have a choice of going somewhere else.

JET
Old Aug 23rd 2009, 8:47 am
Banned

Lemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JET747
Unless you are talking from experience and not what you read on here I don't think you are in a position to make an opinion on Edmonton. You have got to see things for yourself and then decide.

As for Port Talbot, when the steel works shuts in 2-3 years time, it will be probably the biggest hole on the planet. You will never be able to sell up, so time is right to make a move.

As I earlier suggested, if you don't like it there, you have a choice of going somewhere else.

JET

I live in Edmonton, been here for 18 months. Came for the work. In that time I've been lucky enough to travel around and visit alot of places out here and some in the Northern U.S. Take it from me you can do alot better than Edmonton.

Honestly, most expats I meet here don't rate the place and are making plans one way or another to go elsewhere. Most want to go to B.C or at a push even just down the road to Calgary.

If you have to come here for the work, fair enough, if you can get in elsewhere do it.

Last edited by Lemi; Aug 23rd 2009 at 8:53 am.
Old Aug 23rd 2009, 2:30 pm

Cassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lemi
I live in Edmonton, been here for 18 months. Came for the work. In that time I've been lucky enough to travel around and visit alot of places out here and some in the Northern U.S. Take it from me you can do alot better than Edmonton.

Honestly, most expats I meet here don't rate the place and are making plans one way or another to go elsewhere. Most want to go to B.C or at a push even just down the road to Calgary.

If you have to come here for the work, fair enough, if you can get in elsewhere do it.
Old Aug 23rd 2009, 2:35 pm

Cassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
I aint an Edmonton Lover
I bet you are
Old Aug 24th 2009, 1:53 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bsmith
Before I start, let me just say, this post will not go down well with Edmontonians - but it's not meant for them. I hope this thread will be read by people weighing up the pros and cons of the various Canadian cities. A recce is just a snapshot and warts-and-all, unbiased info (not just sugar-coated tourist rubbish) is hard to come by.
Hey Bsmith.

I know you aren't alone in some of your comments...I've heard similar from born & bred locals. Contrary to what the Ed cheerleaders would want to believe, some locals are frustrated by the lack of vision of Edmonton's City planners, the lack of decent transit, the car orientation, the endless malls, and the dead downtown and lack of walkability. They're the ones behind the fight to close the edmonton airport and transform downtown Ed. I think it's a good sign.
Old Aug 24th 2009, 5:17 am
Banned

bsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond repute

Talking to an Aussie the other evening, he asked me had I had the "Edmonton conversation" yet? - Turns out I have, many times since being here. It usually goes like this -

Edmontonian: "What accent's that?"

Me: "Oh, I'm from the UK/Australia etc."

Edmontonian: "Visiting?"

Me: "No, I've moved here"

Edmontonian: (long pause, accompanied by a puzzled look) "...... Why'd you come to Edmonton?"

- and as they walk off looking confused - "Oh, welcome to Canada".
Old Aug 24th 2009, 3:34 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Talking to an Aussie the other evening, he asked me had I had the "Edmonton conversation" yet? - Turns out I have, many times since being here. It usually goes like this -

Edmontonian: (long pause, accompanied by a puzzled look) "...... Why'd you come to Edmonton?"

gotta admit that's pretty endearing.
Old Aug 24th 2009, 4:17 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
gotta admit that's pretty endearing.
Stop stirring it you.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 8:19 am
Banned

My favorite experience of the "Edmonton conversation" was with an older Canadian lady. When I got to the "No, I moved here" part, she looked me up and down and said "You sound educated - you could have gone anywhere?"
Old Aug 25th 2009, 10:59 am
BE Enthusiast

JET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to all

Lemi

I see that you don't like it in Edmonton much. So this means that you are planning on getting out ? I noticed that you changed your profile to say Wales - Edmonton. At first I thought you were still over here.

Where in Wales do you come from ? What do you do ?

Like you mentioned in you post earlier, if you come here to work - fair enough.

We like Vancouver area, but for work in the Oil Industry Alberta is particulary where the jobs are. So we are in a position where Edmonton sounds a little better than Fort McMurry - - depending on offers.

JET
Old Aug 26th 2009, 6:37 am
Banned

bsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JET747

We like Vancouver area, but for work in the Oil Industry Alberta is particulary where the jobs are. So we are in a position where Edmonton sounds a little better than Fort McMurry - - depending on offers.

JET

If you know and like the Vancouver area of B.C you will find Edmonton and Alberta generally very, very different - landscape wise, climate wise and even politically.

As I asked another poster on a different thread, Am I correct in assuming you haven't been to Edmonton yet? If not, I seriously recommend you visit before committing to a move. As you can see, people have very different views of this city. You need to experience Edmonton for yourself.

Like I said, it's very different from B.C and very different to what you and your family are familiar with on the South Wales coast. - If you enjoy having the Gower on you door step and the Beacons just up the road you'll find this place very bland and featureless. (The mountains are hours away, and the coast, well... you've seen the map). I appreciate this stuff doesn't matter to some people, they just want the SUV and the McMansion in the 'berbs, so they can tell all the folks back home just how well they've done for themselves - Again in my experience, because of the work, Edmonton does seem to attract more than it's fair share of that crowd.
Old Aug 26th 2009, 9:43 am
passport photo

Hammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud of

people have very different views of this city.
So, in conclusion to this crazy thread, Edmonton is like Marmite

Maybe the Edmonton tourist board could steal a few ideas...
http://www.marmite.com/
Old Aug 26th 2009, 11:11 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Hammy1976
So, in conclusion to this crazy thread, Edmonton is like Marmite

Maybe the Edmonton tourist board could steal a few ideas...
Don't encourage them. Alberta just blew $25 million on a re-branding and "greenwashing" exercise where they mistakenly used a picture of a British beach and passed it off a a shot of Alberta. Marmite/oil sand - I can see the similarities.

Alberta's "Image" Problem - It's Not Alberta!

Last edited by bsmith; Aug 26th 2009 at 11:18 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.