Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

This night one year ago......

This night one year ago......

Old Jan 17th 2009, 4:30 am
BE Enthusiast

AlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond repute
Default This night one year ago......

................I was absoulutely terrified as the next morning we were immigrating to Canada.

The last few weeks in the UK were a roller coaster of emotions and by this stage we were totally drained from leaving parties, devastated Mums (well mine) and worry about the immigration paperwork and how my two babies would survive the flight (our German Pointer and Cairn Terrier)

Leaving was the hardest thing I have ever been through in my life, when Canadians ask me what it was like - I describe it as attending your own funeral wake -alive-...everyone sitting around crying,looking shellshocked. If it hadn't been for the emotional strength of my husband I would still be there.
If you belong to a large, noisy, loving, busy family - do not underestimate how hard it will be to leave them. But, it has to be done and the ends really do justify the means in this case.

We survived the immigration process - went really smoothly and the dogs were none the worse for the flight. We overnighted in Calgary and arrived in Regina, Saskatchewan the next morning........holy crap....nothing absoulutely nothing prepares you for -40 wind chills, and bottles of water freezing overnight in your car...for most of the first week we kept saying to each other "what have we done"? But, we survived, we learnt to dress appropriately and a week later survived our first white out storm whilst driving home from our immigration meds

My OH had a job already (we came on WP) as a heavy duty mechanic, still there, still loves it - even though he leaves for work Mon-Fri at 5.30am just so that he gets there 20 mins early to sit around and have a laugh and a coffee with his co-workers!! This is the same OH who had to be kicked out of bed to go to work in the UK.

Soon after we arrived I got a job in the local bakery and this was the best thing I could have done - get a job in your local area - nothing helps you to get to know the locals better, that is of course if you live in a smallish town like we do. We are the first people in our town from Northern Ireland so at the start we were like celebreties and everyone came to the bakery to see the "Irish" girl and hear my accent - my boss used to say she felt sorry for me as I was a bit like "the freak" in the circus that everyone wanted to see!! It was nice though, they all wanted to know all about Ireland and why I came to Canada...I have never met as many people who called themselves Irish in my life, just because some distant relative came from Ireland millions of years ago!

That old monster called homesickness has reared its head from time to time, LornaD sums it up well when she calls it "people sickness" - I miss my family not the country or anything about it. The webcam is wonderful and we would be lost without it. I find the best thing to do now if something makes me sad for home either have a wee cry and get up and get on with things or say to yourself "This life was your choice and its a great life so wise up".

We bought a house on the net before we came here as we had no option as we couldn't find anywhere to rent with dogs...not a great idea but we had a brilliant realtor who found us a decent house. However she has since found us our dream home and we moved at the end of Nov 08.

OH has been through three different vehicles and two weeks ago finally got his F150 gas guzzler - he really fits the Western persona now!

The Saskatchewan people are so friendly, we just love the place, we have seen some amazing animals, breathtaking skies, scary thunderstorms and awesome landscapes - yes even on the Prairies!!!

We are so thankful that we have been given this wonderful oppourtunity to live in this great land and it definitely was the right move for us - neither of us see ourselves ever living in the UK again.

Both sets of our parents came together for two weeks at the end of June/ start of July and were blown away by Saskatchewan..the greatest endorsement was from my Dad when he said on his second day here "If it wasn't for the grandchildren at home - I would stay" and that meant a lot to us. Unfotunately he has been very ill since the start of December and we nearly lost him before Christmas. This is a big big downside of being an expat, when your family take ill, it feels like you are a million miles apart. Again you just have to discover your own way of coping.

So a year later we cant believe this is just our 1st Canniversry, it feels like we have lived here all our lives - so that must be a good thing..I couldnt write this tomorrow as we are going to the Qu'Appelle Valley to learn how to ski We are planning a 1 year party and have so many new friends between our church friends and other locals we have to have two seperate parties...we have many, many, more friends here in the space of a year than we ever had back in the old country. Mr and Mrs Vegas Rockstar from BE moved to our town and have become dear friends and Mr & Mrs LornaD, but she doesnt live close by.

I just hope that all you folk waiting on visas love Canada as much as we do and that it really works out for you.

Forgot to say that we became PR's on Thansgiving weekend...next step Citizenship....Oh Canada Our Home and Wonerful Land......

I have so much more I want to say but fear you have all died of boredom already...thanks for sticking with me to the end

Last edited by AlvicBC; Jan 17th 2009 at 4:52 am.
Old Jan 17th 2009, 5:32 am
Arrived at last!!

woodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: This night one year ago......

A very well written account, thank you. It is so nice to hear how other people have handled such an enormously emotional decision to leave family and friends behind, and as you quite rightly say we made the decision to do it. It sounds as though you have truly settled in - heres to many more years.
Old Jan 17th 2009, 9:07 am
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations, glad that you are enjoying your new life sounds like you are really happy

Best wishes
Old Jan 17th 2009, 10:12 am

tinytears is an unknown quantity at this point

Fabulous report, it is the emotional rollercoaster that worries me the most. Thanks for this.
Old Jan 17th 2009, 1:25 pm

moondevil will become famous soon enoughmoondevil will become famous soon enough

Real good read and you neally got me in tears

Yeah those last few weeks you think you will never make it here and then 'bang you have landed'
My heart goes to you as we have not had the family bit yet and i don't think us talking about it will get us ready for it, but my fingers and stuff are crossed for you.

Great to see a fantastic, posative post, first of many
Old Jan 17th 2009, 2:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Great to read your update Alison so glad you're enjoying your new life

So tell me have you given up on explaining to people that your from Northern Ireland are you just Irish these days?
Old Jan 17th 2009, 2:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

woo hoo Alvic Congratulations
Old Jan 17th 2009, 3:22 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

What a great account of your journey to become Canadianized. It sounds as if you have the world by the tail.

Homesickness is an interesting subject. Many people move great distances within Canada, east to west coast for example, or in the US from New York to California, but I don't think it has the same impact on them as it does on those who move across an ocean, say from the UK. Perhaps there's a mind set that within country moves are just a 'phone call or a flight sale away for a few days visit, or just a drive of a few hundred miles for a long weekend. Do folks in the UK who move from Cornwall to Inverness feel quite as homesick as BE's here? It's not as if traveling across country is much less expensive than flying the ocean.

I'm probably talking claptrap, which, is not unusual.
Old Jan 17th 2009, 3:59 pm

tinytears is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by brianscottie43
What a great account of your journey to become Canadianized. It sounds as if you have the world by the tail.

Homesickness is an interesting subject. Many people move great distances within Canada, east to west coast for example, or in the US from New York to California, but I don't think it has the same impact on them as it does on those who move across an ocean, say from the UK. Perhaps there's a mind set that within country moves are just a 'phone call or a flight sale away for a few days visit, or just a drive of a few hundred miles for a long weekend. Do folks in the UK who move from Cornwall to Inverness feel quite as homesick as BE's here? It's not as if traveling across country is much less expensive than flying the ocean.

I'm probably talking claptrap, which, is not unusual.
Actually interesting point, I don't know if it is true, because I have only ever lived within a two mile radius of where I grew up but you aren't wrong I don't think on that, I think the fact that there is an ocean seperating us that it feels like such a wrench. I could be wrong because I have never moved within the UK but still a valid point you made.
Old Jan 17th 2009, 4:05 pm

LorraineG is a glorious beacon of lightLorraineG is a glorious beacon of lightLorraineG is a glorious beacon of lightLorraineG is a glorious beacon of lightLorraineG is a glorious beacon of lightLorraineG is a glorious beacon of lightLorraineG is a glorious beacon of lightLorraineG is a glorious beacon of lightLorraineG is a glorious beacon of lightLorraineG is a glorious beacon of lightLorraineG is a glorious beacon of light

Oh gosh Alvic I remember reading those terribly sad posts by your Mum and I cannot believe that it was a year ago!
I am so glad that your parents have been out to visit and that they have the chance to know why you moved.
It is great to hear that life is treating you well, and just as important Canada is treating you well too.
With very best wishes for 2009 and beyond...
Lorraine G
Old Jan 17th 2009, 4:54 pm
Forum Regular

AyrLass is just really niceAyrLass is just really niceAyrLass is just really niceAyrLass is just really niceAyrLass is just really niceAyrLass is just really niceAyrLass is just really niceAyrLass is just really niceAyrLass is just really niceAyrLass is just really niceAyrLass is just really nice

Congratulations Alvic.

I hear you on the Webcams, it makes keeping in touch so much easier and keeps the homesickness at bay when you can see a familiar face.

Glad to hear it is working out so well for you both
Old Jan 18th 2009, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

hepburn has a brilliant futurehepburn has a brilliant futurehepburn has a brilliant futurehepburn has a brilliant futurehepburn has a brilliant futurehepburn has a brilliant futurehepburn has a brilliant future

Congratulations on your 1st Canniversary. Great post! We are moving to NS in August this year and have also got a Cairn Terrier. It was comforting to hear that your dogs travelled well. Can I ask who you flew with and if the paperwork and everything went smoothly with the dogs. Our Cairn loves lying by the fire, not sure how she is going to take to the snow!
Old Jan 18th 2009, 9:08 pm
Just Joined

odstock has a spectacular aura aboutodstock has a spectacular aura aboutodstock has a spectacular aura about

Just a fabulous post - I would have read more - honest! So great to hear these success stories. I so hope we'll have one one day.

Katherine
Old Jan 18th 2009, 10:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hepburn
Congratulations on your 1st Canniversary. Great post! We are moving to NS in August this year and have also got a Cairn Terrier. It was comforting to hear that your dogs travelled well. Can I ask who you flew with and if the paperwork and everything went smoothly with the dogs. Our Cairn loves lying by the fire, not sure how she is going to take to the snow!
This must be a characteristic of the Cairn - our Mac has a big fleecy bed that sits in front of the radiator and he'd lie there 24/7 if he got off with it. But surprisingly enough he loves the snow - rolls in it an everything. We had to get them wee boots to wear in the extreme temperatures as they cant walk well after being outside a few minutes.
We used a company called Jets4Pets and they were brilliant. He was 5 and a half when we flew and it didnt affect him at all - we just put his own blanket in the crate and he was happy as larry.......our German pointer...different story....
Attached Thumbnails This night one year ago......-dsc00219.jpg  
Old Jan 18th 2009, 10:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Elaine B.
Great to read your update Alison so glad you're enjoying your new life

So tell me have you given up on explaining to people that your from Northern Ireland are you just Irish these days?
It really surprised me how many people here didnt know that Northern Ireland and Southern Ireland were two different countries...I've educated a whole lot already

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.