Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

Nearly 2 months in Calgary....!

Nearly 2 months in Calgary....!

Old Apr 6th 2014, 4:45 pm
Forum Regular

99problems will become famous soon enough99problems will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Nearly 2 months in Calgary....!

I wouldn't go that far, Airdrie AB is a bit grubby and nowhere special to go. One road links to Calgary and its a bit blue collar but otherwise ok. Probably not a bad bet if you don't mind commuting and a bit cheaper than Calgary.
Old Apr 6th 2014, 5:41 pm
Forum Regular

Donnykins is a jewel in the roughDonnykins is a jewel in the roughDonnykins is a jewel in the roughDonnykins is a jewel in the roughDonnykins is a jewel in the rough

I'm heading to Calgary in May, with family of 4. Looking at Okotoks to live permanently as it appears to be a similar size town to where we live now and in commutable distance to Calgary for work. Hubby is in IT - Software Development Manager and found it impossible to secure work from the UK. Plenty of interest, but no-one is biting. So...we are just upping sticks and going...before our PR cards expire. LOL We don't know what car to buy. Most probably newish pre-owned and economical to run (having suffered the UK fuel taxes). We were thinking of Toyota Prius, but wonder how these will fare throughout snowy winters?
Old Apr 6th 2014, 8:41 pm
Just Joined

Mrs A and Co is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MartinandClaire
So my husband and I arrived in Calgary mid Jan and we had a hotel booked for two weeks. We spent that time registering for healthcare, driving license, looking for place to rent etc...!

We have found a lovely apartment near Renfrew. Our landlady let us move in a few days early as we were leaving the hotel just before the beginning of the month.

My hubbie has started his job in driver training and is loving it! I'm volunteering until my college course starts in Sept.

We have had a great welcome to Canada from all the locals, everyone wants to help us settle in. We really do appreciate how great our life will become here.

I'm trying to think of some negatives....

Buying a second hand car is crazy money. We bought a 2002 Subaru Outback for approx £3k and that was after haggling!! I'm pretty sure you could get this car for less than half the price in the UK.
Maybe (if you have the cash) look to buy brand new, you can get some good deals.

Groceries are more expensive here (cheese!) but we have found cheaper shops...Canadian Superstore, Target and No Frills.

I'm finding it hard to find a family doctor, keep looking I guess!

That's it not even the -20 weather can put us off and to see the snowy mountains in the distance everyday is awesome! If you love the sunshine Alberta is for you, I think we have only had 2 days without the sun and that's because it was snowing!

Here's to many years of happiness in Canada
Hi,

So pleased that your experience so far is positive. We are planning our move in the summer to Calgary.

Very scary and exciting at the same time.

Enjoy

Mrs A
Old May 5th 2014, 1:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

joinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 99problems
I wouldn't go that far, Airdrie AB is a bit grubby and nowhere special to go. One road links to Calgary and its a bit blue collar but otherwise ok. Probably not a bad bet if you don't mind commuting and a bit cheaper than Calgary.
You been to Forest lawn and Dover areas of 'Calgary'