My 11th year.

Old Apr 20th 2009, 8:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Essex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really nice
Default My 11th year.

I have been here for 10 years. I'm now in my 11th year. I started with nothing, just a carry on. I came because my partner had family issues. I applied as soon as we landed really in 1995, but that got us no where. Canada didn't recognized gay couples. After 2 years the money ran out. His mother had got well in that time. So rather than go back to England. We booked a ticket to Spain. I went back to work as waiter and within a short period of time I manged to save a lot of money. Waitering is very lucrative for those who don't know if you work in the right restaurants. We both hated Spain mostly because the people were so nasty to us and just getting even the simplest thing done was impossible. Spain is a very beautiful. The majority of the Brits and other Europeans simple live on outside. Never fully integrating. Which is why I don't blame the Spanish. It is only like that on the Costa Del Sol..

I remember that we had trouble getting the mail for the first 3 months and it was simple because we didn't have a Spanish name. I could tell you countless silly stories about Spain. Most Brits I met were country poor all unable to go back to England but wishing they could.

One day a call came, you know the one everyone dreads about a family member. My partner Once again rush's off to Canada. We decided that I was going to return to London and look for a nice flat and start again and he was to join later.

My partner was in Canada for a good 6 months. I was still in Spain and was just fed up with it. So I had 2 years living expenses saved so I decided to go back to Canada. I applied thinking I don't have chance here. Immigration were very surprised by us. The were not sure if we were a real couple, because we are both very straight acting males. Anyways because we applied in a small city the immigration officer got to know us. One day we got the call to come in to the office. These calls you just drop everything. I remember the words as clear as bright sunny day. She say "we decided that we believe you are a gay couple because we sore you shopping in Walmart together. Welcome to Canada, We describe you as a new worker" and that was it.

I then set about to try and find work. Canada is one of the worlds hardest place IMO to find work. I applied for 1000's of jobs and got nowhere fast. I even got interviews, which all went very well and they were all so nice, but no job offers came. The interviewers just liked hearing a working class Essex drift accent and most thought I was an Australian.

I was driving back to my house one day when I sore a box of collectibles. Which I brought for 50 bucks. I'd heard about eBay and in this small city, it was filled with people selling stuff on eBay. So I decided what the hell I give it ago.

Within 5 years the company grew into one of the largest collectible business in Canada and we were doing shows all over the US. I just sold the company 2 years ago. I have not been working for about 2 years and I was bored and need to work again. So I started a furniture store which has been a massive success. Which is a surprise considering how the economy is.

I love Canada when it not white outside for 4 months of the year. Each year the winters seams to get harder and harder to get threw. I can't think of many countries where the weather can take over your whole life. This is the first year I've manged not to get depressed. I think I got used to the winters Yay. I know sounds dumb but wait to you experience your 2nd and 3rd winter. The first doesn't count. Because its quiet novel at first.

It also very very hard to make friends and not for the lack of trying either. I've invited and try to make friends. 7 years I still have no friends. Now I prefer it. I got used to my own company and I can't be bother with friends anymore. Because what is the point. It is a hassle IMO. Canadians don't just pop in on a moments notice. You have to invite them over for dinner and they don't like the surprise visit either IMO.

The summers are lovely in Canada. The weekend are filled with festivals celebrating different cultures. Apart from that, There is very little to see and do if live outside the main 4 big cities in Canada and don't have sprogs. The Mall can be the highlight of the week. I got a dog instead and i keep busy.

Canada also a very safe place overall and the people are so nice even the scary looking ones that you would cross the street if you sore them coming down the road on a late night in the UK are friendly too.

Also there is not much choice in the supermarkets so you have learn very quickly how to cook from scratch. frozen food is not cheap and comes in massive potion and it nasty stuff. You body will love you more if you learn the art of cooking from fresh ingredients.

I wish we had Free view. I'm sick of the monthly cables bills. I thought paying a TV license was bad. But here is the only way to watch decent telly and cost a lot more than UK.

Car insurance is simply outrageous in Ontario and can cost up to 3-5,000 bucks a year for first few years of driving. Make sure to bring a letter from your UK insurer it will help reduce the costs.

I still have to fly home to get my teeth fixed. Only when they hurt. I don't have a dental plan. So paying for dentist is simply cheaper in England even with the flight and the hotel. Because a trip here to the dentist can quickly cost over 7,000 bucks for hours work on your teeth. If really desperate, you can have a dental student fix you teeth. Doesn't cost as much.

Buy the best winter coat, hat, boots money because you going to need it. Pick mid summer if you can. Goodwill is brilliant for all those little things that can soon mount up into the high 100's if you buy new.

Apart from that, Its a great. I even had the 7 year inch to go home. But England as much as it is home. I really can't see the point of it. Crime, poverty, low wages, high rents and scary youths. what is the point. The best thing that has happen to me, Is being aloud to live in Canada. It is great place, You've just got to get on with it. Sure there are somethings that you will find annoying or just odd. But no country is perfect.

O' I'm still with my partner 13 years and still going strong.

Last edited by Essex_Man; Apr 20th 2009 at 8:19 pm.
Old Apr 20th 2009, 8:17 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My 11th year.

Welcome Essex Man (I was born in Essex for my sins, and have been here 11 years more or less now)

Nice post, but not at all sure how you manage to quickly get charged $7k at the dentist! You need to find a new dentist mate, most are pretty accomodating when it comes to finding ways to help the uninsured spread the payments...its certainly not worth flying back to the UK only to pay there...
Old Apr 20th 2009, 8:29 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE Essex_Man
Old Apr 20th 2009, 8:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Essex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really nice

Originally Posted by iaink
Welcome Essex Man (I was born in Essex for my sins, and have been here 11 years more or less now)

Nice post, but not at all sure how you manage to quickly get charged $7k at the dentist! You need to find a new dentist mate, most are pretty accomodating when it comes to finding ways to help the uninsured spread the payments...its certainly not worth flying back to the UK only to pay there...

It was in Toronto in the beaches in 97. I only did it once. Your pay anything not to suffer tooth pain like that. LOL.

Since then I only been to the UK once to get a tooth pulled and filling and the visits to my family more than make the trip worth while and TBH I got my teeth fix for free.
Old Apr 20th 2009, 10:10 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

It was in Toronto in the beaches in 97. I only did it once. Your pay anything not to suffer tooth pain like that.

You need to be much more forthcoming. For $7K in 1997 you obviously had very major dental work such as a whole mouth of implants and/or caps. A visit to the dentist in 2009 for a filling runs $150-$200 depending on dentist/time.in chair. Your post is also unclear. Was that one hour's work or ? hours of work? If you are going to post then at least be truthful.
Old Apr 20th 2009, 11:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
It was in Toronto in the beaches in 97. I only did it once. Your pay anything not to suffer tooth pain like that.

You need to be much more forthcoming. For $7K in 1997 you obviously had very major dental work such as a whole mouth of implants and/or caps. A visit to the dentist in 2009 for a filling runs $150-$200 depending on dentist/time.in chair. Your post is also unclear. Was that one hour's work or ? hours of work? If you are going to post then at least be truthful.
Why would I lie no point. what would that achieve. nothing. Please grown up.

If you must know had a crown and a route canal. Is was 3 visits and I gave up because of the cost. I wasn't even a citizen back then LOL and get this They even sent me demanding letters for the 50 cents I owned them for months on end It was in the beaches right by the fire station. can't remember the name.

I don't think I like this board.

Last edited by Essex_Man; Apr 20th 2009 at 11:17 pm.
Old Apr 20th 2009, 11:38 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Being a citizen has no relationship whatsoever with medical and dental costs. Neither dentists nor doctors have any interest in your citizenship status. Dentists work under a schedule of fees established by their Provincial Association and personally having had a crown and a root canal much more recently than 11 years ago I can assure you the cost was considerably less than $7,000.
I still maintain you're providing misleading information to prospective immigrants.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 12:12 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Essex_Man
If you must know had a crown and a route canal. Is was 3 visits and I gave up because of the cost. I wasn't even a citizen back then LOL
Citizenship has no bearing on what a dentist would charge.

However I do think this one saw you coming.

Root canal, crown and complete cleaning 3 years ago Calgary $2,400, no insurance paid for out of my own pocket.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 12:49 am
BE Enthusiast

emmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud of

Happy 10th anniversary, great to read your post and see how well you have done.
Sounds like you have been having fame and fortune, well done.
We have only been here 8months and I miss friends very much, just nipping to the local is what I miss, but everything else great. Skype is a godsend.
Keep up the good work
Old Apr 21st 2009, 12:54 am
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

I have been here for 10 years. I'm now in my 11th year. I started with nothing, just a carry on. I came because my partner had family issues. I applied as soon as we landed really in 1995, but that got us no where. Canada didn't recognized gay couples. After 2 years the money ran out. His mother had got well in that time. So rather than go back to England. We booked a ticket to Spain. I went back to work as waiter and within a short period of time I manged to save a lot of money. Waitering is very lucrative for those who don't know if you work in the right restaurants. We both hated Spain mostly because the people were so nasty to us and just getting even the simplest thing done was impossible. Spain is a very beautiful. The majority of the Brits and other Europeans simple live on outside. Never fully integrating. Which is why I don't blame the Spanish. It is only like that on the Costa Del Sol..

I remember that we had trouble getting the mail for the first 3 months and it was simple because we didn't have a Spanish name. I could tell you countless silly stories about Spain. Most Brits I met were country poor all unable to go back to England but wishing they could.

One day a call came, you know the one everyone dreads about a family member. My partner Once again rush's off to Canada. We decided that I was going to return to London and look for a nice flat and start again and he was to join later.

My partner was in Canada for a good 6 months. I was still in Spain and was just fed up with it. So I had 2 years living expenses saved so I decided to go back to Canada. I applied thinking I don't have chance here. Immigration were very surprised by us. The were not sure if we were a real couple, because we are both very straight acting males. Anyways because we applied in a small city the immigration officer got to know us. One day we got the call to come in to the office. These calls you just drop everything. I remember the words as clear as bright sunny day. She say "we decided that we believe you are a gay couple because we sore you shopping in Walmart together. Welcome to Canada, We describe you as a new worker" and that was it.

I then set about to try and find work. Canada is one of the worlds hardest place IMO to find work. I applied for 1000's of jobs and got nowhere fast. I even got interviews, which all went very well and they were all so nice, but no job offers came. The interviewers just liked hearing a working class Essex drift accent and most thought I was an Australian.

I was driving back to my house one day when I sore a box of collectibles. Which I brought for 50 bucks. I'd heard about eBay and in this small city, it was filled with people selling stuff on eBay. So I decided what the hell I give it ago.

Within 5 years the company grew into one of the largest collectible business in Canada and we were doing shows all over the US. I just sold the company 2 years ago. I have not been working for about 2 years and I was bored and need to work again. So I started a furniture store which has been a massive success. Which is a surprise considering how the economy is.

I love Canada when it not white outside for 4 months of the year. Each year the winters seams to get harder and harder to get threw. I can't think of many countries where the weather can take over your whole life. This is the first year I've manged not to get depressed. I think I got used to the winters Yay. I know sounds dumb but wait to you experience your 2nd and 3rd winter. The first doesn't count. Because its quiet novel at first.

It also very very hard to make friends and not for the lack of trying either. I've invited and try to make friends. 7 years I still have no friends. Now I prefer it. I got used to my own company and I can't be bother with friends anymore. Because what is the point. It is a hassle IMO. Canadians don't just pop in on a moments notice. You have to invite them over for dinner and they don't like the surprise visit either IMO.

The summers are lovely in Canada. The weekend are filled with festivals celebrating different cultures. Apart from that, There is very little to see and do if live outside the main 4 big cities in Canada and don't have sprogs. The Mall can be the highlight of the week. I got a dog instead and i keep busy.

Canada also a very safe place overall and the people are so nice even the scary looking ones that you would cross the street if you sore them coming down the road on a late night in the UK are friendly too.

Also there is not much choice in the supermarkets so you have learn very quickly how to cook from scratch. frozen food is not cheap and comes in massive potion and it nasty stuff. You body will love you more if you learn the art of cooking from fresh ingredients.

I wish we had Free view. I'm sick of the monthly cables bills. I thought paying a TV license was bad. But here is the only way to watch decent telly and cost a lot more than UK.

Car insurance is simply outrageous in Ontario and can cost up to 3-5,000 bucks a year for first few years of driving. Make sure to bring a letter from your UK insurer it will help reduce the costs.

I still have to fly home to get my teeth fixed. Only when they hurt. I don't have a dental plan. So paying for dentist is simply cheaper in England even with the flight and the hotel. Because a trip here to the dentist can quickly cost over 7,000 bucks for hours work on your teeth. If really desperate, you can have a dental student fix you teeth. Doesn't cost as much.

Buy the best winter coat, hat, boots money because you going to need it. Pick mid summer if you can. Goodwill is brilliant for all those little things that can soon mount up into the high 100's if you buy new.

Apart from that, Its a great. I even had the 7 year inch to go home. But England as much as it is home. I really can't see the point of it. Crime, poverty, low wages, high rents and scary youths. what is the point. The best thing that has happen to me, Is being aloud to live in Canada. It is great place, You've just got to get on with it. Sure there are somethings that you will find annoying or just odd. But no country is perfect.

O' I'm still with my partner 13 years and still going strong.
this is the first post i have read from someone who has made it here for this long, in such depth. well done, all the best to you both.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 2:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
I still maintain you're providing misleading information to prospective immigrants.
OK, Your welcome to you opinion. People will read the thread and will make of it what they will. No worries.

Originally Posted by Steve_P

Root canal, crown and complete cleaning 3 years ago Calgary $2,400, no insurance paid for out of my own pocket.
Oh yes most likely. A young man who is was a fool with his money are soon parted. I'm older and wiser now. What ever the cost if you paid $2,400 it is still lot of money for average Joe. So I think it is wise to have a plan. especially if you have a family. Its no biggie.

Last edited by Essex_Man; Apr 21st 2009 at 2:26 am.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 2:53 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh yes most likely. A young man who is was a fool with his money are soon parted. I'm older and wiser now. What ever the cost if you paid $2,400 it is still lot of money for average Joe. So I think it is wise to have a plan. especially if you have a family. Its no biggie.
Fully agree with you, a plan would be nice if one can afford it or one is provided by an employer.

Unfortunately my plan went away when I retired and yes it's a lot of money for anyone and monetarily I am very much the average Joe.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 2:53 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Whilst doing tax returns this year I have seen several people with dental bills in excess of $7,000.

I have yet to see a poor dentist.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 3:46 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P

In Los Algadonis, Mexico, just across the border from Yuma, AZ a root canal is US$360 and a crown is US$280. At least that's what the OH just paid. It's the dental capital of the world it seems. All state of the art facilities and mostly US trained practitioners. The crown alone would have been $875 in Yuma. No wonder people make a holiday of having dental work done. We have been getting our work done there for seven years and nothing but good experiences. If you need a lot of work done it's worth a trip, you can save a fortune.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 7:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by emmabell
Happy 10th anniversary, great to read your post and see how well you have done.
Sounds like you have been having fame and fortune, well done.
You can do it too. Just got to hit on the right thing. It is all about timing, hard work, a lot of luck and not missing opportunity when it presents it self. Never give up. Canada is much easy IMO. if you want to be you're own boss. The internet has open up a whole world of new ways of making a living.

Originally Posted by rae
this is the first post i have read from someone who has made it here for this long, in such depth. well done, all the best to you both.
I know I felt I said too much. Thanks anyways.

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Whilst doing tax returns this year I have seen several people with dental bills in excess of $7,000.

I have yet to see a poor dentist.
Thanks for that.

Originally Posted by Simon Legree
f you need a lot of work done it's worth a trip, you can save a fortune.
Good to know.

Last edited by Essex_Man; Apr 21st 2009 at 7:07 pm.