Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

It's been a week already!!!

It's been a week already!!!

Old Nov 21st 2008, 3:28 pm
Just Joined

savageer13 is a jewel in the roughsavageer13 is a jewel in the roughsavageer13 is a jewel in the roughsavageer13 is a jewel in the rough
Default It's been a week already!!!

Hi Guys,

well, finally we are here. Landed 12th November, only been a week but seems like a month since we left UK. Got all the important stuff out the way, SIN cards, driving license, healthcare, banking etc.

Little 'un started school yesterday, he wasn't happy about that, but he survived!!

Starting work next week.

Took a drive to Banff and Lake Louise last weekend.....WOW...scenery was fantastic, looking forward to spending more time up there.

Rented ourselves a nice 2 bed house in Hidden Valley (NW Calgary) for $1600/month, fully furnished and inc all utilities!! We thought it was a bargain....unless you know different...

Just need to find a vehicle before we hand back the rental......can anyone recommend a good insurance company/broker???

Apart from OH getting a little home sick every now and then, it's all good...

If there's any-one close to Hidden Valley with kids that wants to meet up, drop me a line.

More updates to come soon....

Simon
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 11:28 am
The /wortley`s

The Wortley`s has a brilliant futureThe Wortley`s has a brilliant futureThe Wortley`s has a brilliant futureThe Wortley`s has a brilliant futureThe Wortley`s has a brilliant futureThe Wortley`s has a brilliant futureThe Wortley`s has a brilliant future
Default Re: It's been a week already!!!

Originally Posted by savageer13
Hi Guys,

well, finally we are here. Landed 12th November, only been a week but seems like a month since we left UK. Got all the important stuff out the way, SIN cards, driving license, healthcare, banking etc.

Little 'un started school yesterday, he wasn't happy about that, but he survived!!

Starting work next week.

Took a drive to Banff and Lake Louise last weekend.....WOW...scenery was fantastic, looking forward to spending more time up there.

Rented ourselves a nice 2 bed house in Hidden Valley (NW Calgary) for $1600/month, fully furnished and inc all utilities!! We thought it was a bargain....unless you know different...

Just need to find a vehicle before we hand back the rental......can anyone recommend a good insurance company/broker???

Apart from OH getting a little home sick every now and then, it's all good...

If there's any-one close to Hidden Valley with kids that wants to meet up, drop me a line.

More updates to come soon....

Simon
Hi Simon, congratulations on your 1st week in Canada. How did the immigration at the airport go? we are due to land on xmas day in Toronto but will have to return to UK to wait for house to sell.
Whats the weather like out there at the moment? I am getting a little nervous now the final part is getting closer, do you have any family out there or is it just the 3 of you. Take care
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 3:11 pm
Just Joined

savageer13 is a jewel in the roughsavageer13 is a jewel in the roughsavageer13 is a jewel in the roughsavageer13 is a jewel in the rough

Hi,

thanks for the congrats. Immigration was a doddle at Calgary airport. Ours was a late flight, so airport was quiet, immigration agent was really helpful. I'm guessing Toronto airport won't be too busy xmas day!!

In the 10 days that we have been here, we have had +13C, fog, freezing rain, snow, -15C(wind chill) and today it is bright blue sky but very windy. So i guess you could say it is varied!!!

We are here on work permits but have PR in the pipeline....submitted Sept '06, looking at forum should hear any time soon.

The 3 of us moved here not knowing any-one, but have made a couple of really good friends already. One being our landlady at the B&B we stayed with for a few nights. She was fantastic. She helped us with all sorts of stuff and made the first few days so much easier.

All the best with your move and hope it goes as easily as ours.

regards,

Simon.
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 7:57 pm
Forum Regular

leepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to behold

HI Simon
Welcome to Calgary.....I do hope you have a great time here.

Wondering how old your little one is? Hopefully your wife will meet people through the school but she could take a look on www.calgarymoms.com...Good resource for those with slightly younger kids...There is a ton of stuff for kids to do here including learning to ski at COP and learning to skate at any number of locations including the University which has a great programme....Kids have GOT to know how to skate here!!

Good luck with it all anyway
Lisa
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 8:24 pm
Just Joined

Hi Lisa,

thanks for the link, i'm sure the wife will get to know other moms through the school. She's just feeling a bit insecure at the moment, what with little one going to school and me off to work. Gives her too much time in the day to think about the UK and our daughter we've left behind.

Little 'un is 7 and he's enjoying it so far.

regards,

Simon.
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 10:43 am
The /wortley`s

The Wortley`s has a brilliant futureThe Wortley`s has a brilliant futureThe Wortley`s has a brilliant futureThe Wortley`s has a brilliant futureThe Wortley`s has a brilliant futureThe Wortley`s has a brilliant futureThe Wortley`s has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by savageer13
Hi Lisa,

thanks for the link, i'm sure the wife will get to know other moms through the school. She's just feeling a bit insecure at the moment, what with little one going to school and me off to work. Gives her too much time in the day to think about the UK and our daughter we've left behind.

Little 'un is 7 and he's enjoying it so far.

regards,

Simon.
Hi Simon, how old is the daughter you have left in the UK, I have an 18yr old daughter and although she is still willing to go I fear she will turn round when the time comes and tells me she doesnt want to go. How did you and you wife cope with that??
Sally
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 1:44 pm

moondevil will become famous soon enoughmoondevil will become famous soon enough

Hi Simon

if it is any help to your wife i have been here for 2mths and the first couple of weeks was hard, but now i go into school and actually talk to other mums
it is hard those first few weeks, maybe an idea to get a post on the main forum or maple leaf and see if there is any expats in the area.
9 weeks into our move i am really up about it and happy that we are here, although sometimes it hurts about leaving loved ones in the uk

does she connect up with webcam?
also maybe helpful that she rings them and it does really help, although not so much on the old phone bill

Thanks to an expat here i have really settled and the local mums being real nice, judy has always said network and it is so true.....if youre OH just wants someone to talk to then there is a facebook group that she can join, just PM me, i hope that she is feeling more settled soon......{{{{hug}}}} to her

Old Nov 23rd 2008, 3:09 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by The Wortley`s
Hi Simon, how old is the daughter you have left in the UK, I have an 18yr old daughter and although she is still willing to go I fear she will turn round when the time comes and tells me she doesnt want to go. How did you and you wife cope with that??
Sally
Hi Sally,

Our daughter is 19, she was adamant that she didn't want to come with us right from the start, when we initially applied for PR, but we still included her on the application form.

Then when i got job offer she really dug her heels in, so we didn't push it. She was given the opportunity to come, right up until i booked the flights. When the day came to leave UK, it was hard, but not as bad as we expected.

She is renting our house from us and seems to be coping reasonably well. We are lucky in respect that my parents live just up the road, so we know she has the support if she needs it.

All i can say to your daughter is to give it a go. Our son, although only 7, keeps saying it's so much nicer here than "back home", he can't wait to ski, skate, ride his bike, play hockey etc, etc.

Good luck with the move and i hope your daughter sticks it out.

Simon.
Old Dec 27th 2008, 10:45 am
Asia blue girl!!

jackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to all

hi there

My husband is starting his job in Kelowna, so which airport do you recommend we fly to? Vancouver or Calgary to get our work visas inplace?
Old Dec 27th 2008, 12:19 pm
Forum Regular

Tracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud of

We flew into Vancouver, hired a car and drove to Kelowna. Great drive, lovely scenery.
Old Jan 1st 2009, 8:05 am
Forum Regular

benjamin78 has a brilliant futurebenjamin78 has a brilliant futurebenjamin78 has a brilliant futurebenjamin78 has a brilliant futurebenjamin78 has a brilliant futurebenjamin78 has a brilliant future

Welcome to Canada
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 9:30 pm
Jedi Master

Devil Girl is just really niceDevil Girl is just really niceDevil Girl is just really niceDevil Girl is just really niceDevil Girl is just really niceDevil Girl is just really niceDevil Girl is just really niceDevil Girl is just really niceDevil Girl is just really niceDevil Girl is just really nice

Congratulations. It sounds like you have got off to a good start. I hope it is still going well for you