Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

Happy Canniversary to us.

Happy Canniversary to us.

Old Sep 3rd 2007, 10:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Happy Canniversary to us.

Happy canniversary and thanks for the post, I enjoyed reading it.
Best of luck for the future.

Rob.
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 11:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

London-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that !!!! great inspiration for us just starting on the yellow brick road, whoops - my bf would kill me for having a Judy moment, need to go and watch some more sport !!!!!

Happy one and heres to many , many more !!!!!!
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 11:42 pm
Bristolish expat

Location: Bristol ~ Nanaimo, BC ... It's a bit like Salem's Lot!!
bananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond repute

Good for you & the family Morwenna
Old Sep 4th 2007, 12:09 pm
Forum Regular

LoopyLou is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the post. Enjoyable read.

Happy Canniversary to you guys. Hope there are many more to come.
Old Sep 4th 2007, 2:25 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Morwenna
So that's it, in a rather large nutshell. I just thought I'd share our story for any newcomers (especially) who might like to know how things worked out for us!
Happy Anniversary. Time certainly does fly doesn't it
Old Sep 4th 2007, 2:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond repute

We're going out for dinner tonight.......
http://www.parthenonrestaurant.ca/

and thankyou ... and the others.... for reading my post.
Happy 2nd Canniversary Morw.!

I hope you enjoyed your meal.

Did you smash any plates??
Old Sep 4th 2007, 5:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

And a very good nutshell it was too !

Happy Canniversary to the whole family Mo. And here's to many more !
Old Sep 4th 2007, 5:54 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m
And a very good nutshell it was too !

Happy Canniversary to the whole family Mo. And here's to many more !
Indeed. Many congratulations to all of you!
Old Sep 4th 2007, 7:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

Ohh

Hope you had a fab time and thanks for your story!

Gryph
Old Sep 4th 2007, 8:01 pm

or4ngecrush is an unknown quantity at this point

Two years today we landed! Here is our story, for those who don't already know it! Those who do, feel free not to bother with it!

Hubby (then 53) and I (43) came for a visit in 2003, stayed a week (snowbound) in May with my friend in Central Alberta and fell in love with the way of life they had here. We discussed on the way back to the airport whether we might like to move here as they had done, and decided to go for it.

Once back in the UK, we informed our astonished children, then aged 12 and 17, and I started researching and applying for accreditation of my qualifications as physiotherapist, as we agreed to apply as skilled workers, with myself as principal applicant. We submitted our application in Dec 03, and received our AOR Feb 04 with a 15 months estimated wait for further contact. This was just after the points dropped so we just got in before the rush!

In 2004 we came over to Calgary with the boys at Easter, stayed in a rental and spent 2 weeks exploring and having as many informal interviews as we could set up with prospective employers. People seemed interested but only to the extent of "let us know when you arrive"

OH kept contact with one company and when we received our visas August 2005, we thought we'd do a landing trip and arrange proper job interviews. Then we decided that hubby and boys should just move over and get work and school started if possible, while I returned to pack and sell up the house, which had been on the market since that spring. We had some buyers who pulled out during that awful period while the family was split, but were replaced by a couple who offered the full asking price and wanted to move in in 2 weeks having sold their own place already. They even bought the car!! I had to pinch myself to believe it was all coming right after seeming to be a disaster! I rejoined the family, mid-October, leaving our solicitor to finalise the sale.

Meanwhile, hubby had a proper interview with Birks Jewellers during his first week here and was taken on at their downtown store. He is now store manager! I had to sit my competency exams here, passed the written one in Jan04, failed the practical in June, but passed it well in November last year. I had a temporary job with Calgary Health Region in Home Care, and am now working in rehab with Carewest. I'd maybe like to go back to homecare, and am continuing to think about a private home visiting practice, but lack confidence to let my guaranteed income drop!

Housing: We took a short term rental in Erin Woods, not an ideal place as it was too near the NE trouble spots, but it was furnished and they allowed our old border collie to come too. Then we took a 7 months lease on a big house in Hawkwood; again, mainly cos they allowed animals, and it was getting towards the area we wanted. When our house sale went through in November we bought our present house in Arbour Lake, and we moved here last summer after it had had a facelift. Since being here we have had the basement professionally developed, and we love it.

Schools: The elder boy had applied for Engineering at UoC before we came, having just sat his A levels in England. They stated he needed some top ups in Physics and Chem, so he spent the first year doing that, then was accepted at Calgary, and is about to start his second year of his engineering degree.

The younger had to attend a junior high school in Erin Woods to start with, then moved after 2 months to the school which served Hawkwood. His time there was not easy really as he hadn't been allowed to start at the beginning of the year there, but he made some friends and they all moved to senior high last year. He's about to start 11th grade.
He says he much prefers the way schooling is done here. We were surprised to find that in senior high they spent the first half of the year (ie first semester) doing just four subjects, then did the other four the second half. I didn't know how it'd work just to do eg maths for half a year and still remember it the next year.

Both the boys love it here, and feel it was the right thing to do .... only criticism was that we'd not come years ago! OH and I have joined clubs and societies, and have busy active lives. I am feeling that we don't really see a lot of friends, and sometimes I feel we have made more commitments than actual social outlets! ... but I do believe friends take time. We feel our work/home life balance is possibly needing some adjustments to make more time for eachother, but it is not impossible, we just need to keep at that one.

It is expensive, living in Calgary ... no two ways about that, but my pay is slightly higher than it was in UK, and hubby is earning quite a bit more, so we do feel we have more disposable income than we had. I think I'd settle for less material goods and more quality time together if we could manage it, but that I feel is part of the adjustment we can make here given time.

I am hoping that at some point, when the boys are a little older, we will sell the house and get somewhere smaller and out of the city a bit...... we'll see.

So that's it, in a rather large nutshell. I just thought I'd share our story for any newcomers (especially) who might like to know how things worked out for us!
Thanks for sharing that and happy canniversary to you, all the best for more years to come
Old Sep 4th 2007, 10:45 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Awww, great update Morwenna. Just goes to show that even older kids like yours (and mine) can settle in very well.

Happy Canniversary Morwenna and family
Old Sep 4th 2007, 11:52 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for your good wishes everyone, from all of us!
Old Sep 5th 2007, 7:18 am
Arrived at last!!

woodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond repute

Happy Canniversary Morwenna. I hope we can say the same in a years time. We arrive in Calgary for good on the 20th October. It was good to read about your kids eduction. Our youngest missed out on UofC this coming year (which we feel bad about - bad timing) but hopes to start at Mount Royal in January to do some refresher courses. We hope she might do two years there as we feel she would benefit and mature some more before going on to UofC.

Heres wishing you many more Canniversary's
Old Sep 5th 2007, 6:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for sharing Morwenna and a Very Happy Canniversary
Yoong
Old Sep 5th 2007, 7:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

boxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond repute

Happy Canniversary

Nice to hear a happy story, thanks for sharing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.